Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5; Latest -- Dylan Covey doing well at U of San Diego

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brewers don't sign Covey

I just spoke with Brewers scouting director Bruce Seid and he told me that first-round pick Dylan Covey has decided to go to the University of San Diego rather than sign with Milwaukee.

Seid said I'd have to get the specifics from the Covey family and I have a call in to them. He did tell me, "It wasn't about money."

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If he doesnt sign because of 2-300,000k, that is just dumb. That is a couple years that he isnt going to get back of money and time in the system, let alone a couple since he will have to go to college/JC. Either way he wasnt going to be in the Majors for a 3-4 years, but you might as well get paid for it.

I will also add that I better not here them say that he was set on going to college the whole time. They made it clear that they wanted 2 mil to sign and that he wanted to go pro before and after the draft. This will especially be odd if the Brewers offered 2 mil or more and he still didnt sign.

Well that's another fail by the Brewers in the drafting of pitching. Should've went with a college pitcher so this wouldn't happen. There were reports out saying how much money he was looking for in advance of the draft, and the Brewers obviously ignored that.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Well that's another fail by the Brewers in the drafting of pitching. Should've went with a college pitcher so this wouldn't happen. There were reports out saying how much money he was looking for in advance of the draft, and the Brewers obviously ignored that.

Well what would say if they offered him what he wanted, if not more.

This is a big surprise and an equally big disappointment. Yes, the Brewers get another premium pick next year, what looks to be a pretty strong year talent-wise. However, a few things need to happen for me to take any solace in this:

1. They sign Daniel Gibson -- or --

2. They sign a prominent Latin American player -- and --

3. They don't go cheap with those two premium picks next year -- and --

4. Signing those two premium picks doesn't effect who else they take in the other early rounds

And I agree, whenever someone says it wasn't about the money, it usually is. Covey's father was on record saying they wanted $2 million all along. Obviously things can change, and some young men really are intent on going to college, but I'm not convinced that's the case. The only thing I can think of is if Scott Boras got to this young man and convinced him a bigger payday awaited him after a college career (and historically it's usually not a good idea to turn down millions of dollars).

Plus, while Seid says things ended amicably, you know there has to be some hard feelings if he was telling TH that he would have to get the story from the Covey family as to why Dylan didn't sign. He could have simply stated that he made a strong offer and Covey declined and left it at that. I don't blame him for that though, as I'd be pissed too, as I'm sure the Brewers made a strong offer to make this happen.

Still a terrible pick. That was my point. Either way it's a big fail.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Still a terrible pick. That was my point. Either way it's a big fail.
I cant really say its a bad pick, especially if they offered what the Covey's were asking for. If you are told that they will sign for a certain amount and you draft someone on that promise and if you fulfill you end by offering what they asked for, but they end up going back on their word and not signing. Its kinda hard to fault the Brewers here. Now, if they offer less then the 2 mil, then I can see your point.

While it'd seem highly unlikely, he still has just under 2 hours to change his mind. That the Brewers would make such a firm announcement to the media a few hours before the deadline could prove to be a clever negotiating ploy.

Unless you're simply looking to blame Melvin for everything including short of (and since) the great flood in the Old Testament (Noah's ark), you've gotta figure the Brewers knew what their ideal was, as well as their reasonable comfort zone and their all-out max. That the Covey family would have demands so far beyond what the Brewers might find within the realm of reason -- and especially if their side also says it's not the money -- then I see the fault of this more likely on the Coveys' side, not the Brewers'.

(That the 18th pick signed for $2.3M earlier this afternoon may have led Covey's dad to expect over $2.5M -- over 50% above slot, which, though the slots are good money but maybe a little conservative in some senses, still approaches the realm of the unreasonable and quite possibly unresolvable.)

I have another theory on this, but I'll hold back on saying it 'til the Coveys explain their choice (assuming they do). I'm anxious to hear what they say.

What a horrible off-season and then draft. Why, when there were other pitchers in the picture, would they not draft someone that did not have as strong of a commitment to a college? Stupid stupid stupid. Another fail by this GM and his regime.
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Covey's commitment to San Diego wasn't seen as ironclad. When he got drafted, all comments from his camp were about how he wanted to start his pro career, and up until this hour, everyone in the know seemed to think a deal was going to get done. This really came out of the blue...I really don't think the front office is to blame here.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Archived