Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5; Latest -- Dylan Covey doing well at U of San Diego

John Klima of Baseball Beginnings was the first to break the Covey/diabetes situation, and here he has a follow-up:

http://baseballbeginnings...covey-update-4#more-9944

I think he's gone a little over the top vilifying scouts (after all, Covey was still a mid-first round pick with plenty of praise of just how good he was/is), but overall it's nice to hear that he has settled into college life with initial success.

It also reminds me how much I wished he was in the Brewers system.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Found it interesting that Covey is the #2 starter on a pretty decent team right out of the gate. San Diego is playing very high level compitition so far, and Cvey has gone 19 innings in 3 starts against Cal, San Diego State, and Winthrop. Around a 5 ERA with a 1.3 Whip but started in 2 of their 3 victories. If Covey was in our system right now he would be our top prospect or very close to it.....

I think it's been said ad nauseum that Covey and the Brewers had agreed to a deal and all that was left was the formality of a physical. It was during this physical that he was found to have Diabetes. He then went on to say that he was impressed with the Brewers' willingness to still offer the deal even after he was found to be afflicted. I hope the Brewers end up drafting him again, as I can't imagine any sign of an aversion to our organization. In the mean time, we will be drafting two players that will undoubtedly be top-5 prospects come the end of the year.

The message that states "I think he just didn't want to sign with us" was likely written without the benefit of all the background information. The three posts before Invader3K's directly above were in a separate thread in the Minor League forum before being merged into this topic.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

• 1 month later...
The title of this thread may have to be changed. Covey is having a pretty rough freshman year out at USD this season. Big command and control problems. He has 2 years to improve of course, and I suppose its better than having these problems in low class A right now or rookie ball.

His BB and Hit rates have been pretty bad in 32 2/3 IP so far on the season, his WHIP is nearly 2. However his strike out rate is pretty good, over 8, there's still reason to be optimistic about him.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• 1 year later...
March 2nd, 2013: Dylan Covey, RHP, Jr., San Diego: The Toreros picked up a very good win over UNC Wilmington on Saturday with Covey leading the charge. Covey struck out 12 batters, walked two and allowed just five hits in six shutout innings of work.

Archived