Brewer Fanatic

Draft Pick Discussion, Rounds 1-5; Latest -- Dylan Covey doing well at U of San Diego

As an interesting side note, Haudricourt was on the D-List earlier today. He mentioned in 2012, when the current CBA is up, the owners will be demanding a worldwide draft and hard slotting. He made it sound like they won't budge on the issue either.

Sounds good to me at this point.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's too bad that MLB stepped in with the pitcher the Dbacks took, but they didn't step in here. MLB could have reached some sort of compromise deal to give more time to do the necessary work to determine if he could handle the minors

"Covey said it didn't help that the family didn't have much time to make the decision. Because MLB wanted to hold down bonuses, teams were encouraged to wait as long as possible to make offers. That made it even more difficult to know what to do, said Covey."

You know, I'm sorry the kid has diabetes and all, but wasn't his greed the real reason for the lack of time. As I understand it this kid and his dad/agent demanded $2 million+, $1.7 million just was not enough.

"Covey said it didn't help that the family didn't have much time to make the decision. Because MLB wanted to hold down bonuses, teams were encouraged to wait as long as possible to make offers. That made it even more difficult to know what to do, said Covey."

You know, I'm sorry the kid has diabetes and all, but wasn't his greed the real reason for the lack of time. As I understand it this kid and his dad/agent demanded $2 million+, $1.7 million just was not enough.

Lol, have you not read this form at all? The reason why they had a lack of time is because Bud Selig told every team to wait until last minute to sign over slot players for other draft picks can't use other players over slot signing prices as a barginning chip. If you think that the 300k is that much over slot for the 14th pick, you better look at some of the other over slot price. Stetson Allen got 2.5 million as a second round pick which I believe is close to 2 million over slot....Brewers got lucky Covey only wanted 2 million which was more than fair. So no it was not their greed that made it last minute

Having an extra first rounder for next year in what i'm hearing is a deep draft should be just fine. I expect with the collective agreement expiring after next year that you should be able to sign any pick for slot or just a tad over. Picks won't have much negotiationg power. If your picked in the first few rounds and don't sign you take the real risk of re-entering the draft in 2012 or later with a world draft and hard cap. So take your Million or so in cash now or risk dropping to where you get enough to buy yourself a good used Datsun in the future when your drafted as a senior in the 44th round.

While he has a scholarship offer from USD, if something goes wrong he can take a leave of absence from baseball (or not play for a while) easier than if he was in the pros.

I think you are wrong on this point. Look at the Salome situation this past summer. The Brewers can be very accommodating. Besides, that $2m was a signing bonus and he could tell the Brewers to pound sand if he didn't want to play baseball anymore.

I wasn't referring to two months off like Salome, I was referring to two years off. And I wasn't referring to not playing baseball ever again, I was referring to taking 2-3 years off and then resuming playing when the diabetes was under control.

...and others picked around Covey signed for less

13) Chicago White Sox: Chris Sale - $1,656M signing bonus

14) Milwaukee: Dylan Covey - Did not sign, will attend San Diego

15) Texas: Jake Skole - $1.557M signing bonus

http://www.baseballrumorm...ft-pick-signing-bonuses/

True, but Sale signed for less in exchange for a Septemember call-up, which will put him on the 40 man roster. I think he may have been called up already. Skole accepted a pre-draft deal at #15 because it was much higher than he was projected to go. The Rangers wanted a pre-draft deal in place because that pick was compensatory for not signing last years #15, so it came with no further compensation for an unsigned pick. Its the same situation the Brewers will be in next, right down to the number of the selection. I don't know if the Brewers will seek a pre-draft deal, but expect a conservative selection.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I wasn't referring to two months off like Salome, I was referring to two years off. And I wasn't referring to not playing baseball ever again, I was referring to taking 2-3 years off and then resuming playing when the diabetes was under control.

If he takes 2 years off at this point or at any point going forward I would have to think his return would be very unlikely.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

X, I don't know what your problem is, but your comments come off as very inconsiderate. It's not like he just found out he has mono or the flu or something that will go away in a few weeks to a month with proper rest and medication. This is something that is with him for the rest of his life. It takes a while to get over it on the physical side of things, let alone the mental and emotional side of things. I usually respect everything you post, although I don't exactly agree with you on everything, but I think you need to take a step back here and not be so rash to judge this kid and his family. There's more to life than money.

I haven't seen anything from X that's the least bit over the top. I also don't see how he's judging this kid? He's saying they should have taken the full amount of time to consider it.

Yes, it's very sad that he's got this medical issue to deal with, but this is a business. I don't see anything wrong with looking at it from that perspective while all the while giving your condolences to the kid and his family.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well just think if the MLB didn't foolishly get ride of draft and follow canidates this whole situation could have been resolved. He could have had until next May or June to learn how to manage and live with his diabetes while playing at one of the 100 of JUCO schools within the 2 hour radius of Pasedena(spelled wrong) and make up his mind if he wanted to go pro and be a Brewer or transfer to University San Diego(I would think they would still be more than willing to give him a scholarship). Sadly the MLB destroyed a good thing (one were the Brewers really excelled). Bring Back the draft and follow!!!!

I haven't seen anything from X that's the least bit over the top. I also don't see how he's judging this kid? He's saying they should have taken the full amount of time to consider it.

Yes, it's very sad that he's got this medical issue to deal with, but this is a business. I don't see anything wrong with looking at it from that perspective while all the while giving your condolences to the kid and his family.

Saying it's a "truly idiotic decision" and implying multiple times that taking the money was the right decision sounds pretty judgemental to me.

If the family knew what they wanted to do once they found out, what is the point of dragging it out until the 11th hour?

There aren't a great deal of successful MLB pitchers who are type I diabetics - odds are he will get better medical care by staying in the same place for the next 4 years and living in an area well known for quality medical care than he would have playing minor league baseball. It will also give him time to develop a routine to deal with his diabetes and develop good eating habits without having to worry about or deal with the pressure of feeling like he has to deliver on the brewers $2 million investment.

...and others picked around Covey signed for less

13) Chicago White Sox: Chris Sale - $1,656M signing bonus

14) Milwaukee: Dylan Covey - Did not sign, will attend San Diego

15) Texas: Jake Skole - $1.557M signing bonus

http://www.baseballrumorm...ft-pick-signing-bonuses/

True, but Sale signed for less in exchange for a Septemember call-up, which will put him on the 40 man roster. I think he may have been called up already. Skole accepted a pre-draft deal at #15 because it was much higher than he was projected to go. The Rangers wanted a pre-draft deal in place because that pick was compensatory for not signing last years #15, so it came with no further compensation for an unsigned pick. Its the same situation the Brewers will be in next, right down to the number of the selection. I don't know if the Brewers will seek a pre-draft deal, but expect a conservative selection.

I hope not

I understand that first round draft picks in baseball generally have higher failure rates than a sport like football, but i personally would rather see the Brewers invest a premium on the first few rounds of the draft even with two first round picks next year than continuing to light money on fire via big spending on 30 plus year old bullpen guys.

TheCrew wrote:

There aren't a great deal of successful MLB pitchers who are type I

diabetics - odds are he will get better medical care by staying in the

same place for the next 4 years and living in an area well known for

quality medical care than he would have playing minor league baseball.

It will also give him time to develop a routine to deal with his

diabetes and develop good eating habits without having to worry about

or deal with the pressure of feeling like he has to deliver on the

brewers $2 million investment.

That's why you have some here saying they would have done things differently. It's tough odds already for just a typical mid-first round high school pitcher to ever even just get to the majors, much less have a good major league career which brings a lot of money with it. Then you add type I diabetes to the equation, it toughens those odds that Covey can make good money by playing baseball.

Obviously that was a hard decision for the family after being blindsided by finding this out when they did and i'd agree it's probably wrong to call their decision idiotic because not everyone values money the same, but i do wonder if they'll end up regretting it after this situation has more time to sink in for them. Something around two million dollars is a lot of money in the real world even if it's not in the world of professional sports. A person making a good salary of say 50,000 a year would need to work between 35-40 years to make what Dylan was offered assuming it was still in the 1.5-2 million range.

Saying it's a "truly idiotic decision" and implying multiple times that

taking the money was the right decision sounds pretty judgemental to me.

Apologies as I did not see the "truly idiotic" statement. I agree that's a little bit insensitive.

However questioning the decision to not take the money, and go into professional baseball where the Brewers have a very large incentive, 2 million dollars being the least of it, to ensure this kid stays healthy vs going to college, probably the most unhealthy place in the world outside of Amsterdam and Bourbon Street(though College, at least my days seemed to be both wrapped into one) is a valid opinion...at least in MY opinion it is.

However the truly idiotic statement is a bit over the line. I was going off of the last couple pages, so I opened my mouth(or hands I guess you could say) prematurely).

If the family knew what they wanted to do once they found out, what is the point of dragging it out until the 11th hour?

Because it's a decision about their sons FUTURE!! Why rush the decision? At the end of the day, it's their right, no question about it. But it's also HIS right to question their decision as on the outside looking in, it doesn't make sense that his son is going to get better medical care 2 million dollars richer and going to college rather than minor league baseball as a 1st round pick where the team has a vested interest in making sure he receives the best medical attention.

There aren't a great deal of successful MLB pitchers who are type I

diabetics - odds are he will get better medical care by staying in the

same place for the next 4 years and living in an area well known for

quality medical care than he would have playing minor league baseball.

It will also give him time to develop a routine to deal with his

diabetes and develop good eating habits without having to worry about or

deal with the pressure of feeling like he has to deliver on the brewers

$2 million investment.

There aren't a lot of MLB pitchers with Type I diabetics, and I don't agree that the odds are better he will receive better medical care, and there are a whole lot of places, "known for quality medical care". It's also putting him in a position to live the college life style, just about the most unhealthy life style there is.

And pressure? Having 2 million dollars and being set for the rest of your life for playing a game is not pressure. Passing UP 2 million dollars and having to prove yourself over the next 3-4 years just so you can MAYBE get back and make 2 million dollars and then at that point being behind where you would have been had he climbed the ladder in our system.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Wouldn't he get better medical care in pro ball having the Brewers pay for his drugs and doctors? I also think the Brewers would make more of an effort to make sure he was cared for. At SDSU they are only going to care about him as long as he is successful, they don't have much of an investment in him as he'll only be around for 3 or 4 years. The Brewers would have at least a $2 million investment in him and expect him to be with the organization for at least five years and hopefully more. As much as people rip pro sports for treating players like property it's even worse in college as there is a much smaller financial investment and players can be replaced easier with another small investment.

Exactly jericho. This thought that since there's a good hospital in the San Diego area so he'll have better medical care at San Diego is baffling to me. If the Brewers had made an investment in Covey, don't you think they would have done everything they could to protect that investment? Like maybe even hiring a nutrionist etc? There are good hospitals all over the place. I'm talking about monitoring his health.

Although someone brought up diet, and how minor leaguers eat a lot of fast food, while college athletes eat at a training table. That was a good point, and a true one. But again, had they put all this money in to Covey to begin with, I think they would make sure he was well taken care of in that respect.

I keep hearing about how it can take two or three years to get Type 1 diabetes under control, etc. But what people are forgetting is that most people are diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when they're young kids. So, yeah of course it's hard for an 8 year old kid to take care of himself.

I was diagnosed at 16 it took me 2 years to get into a routine and another year or so to figure out how sports and exercise would effect me. 7 years later I'm still figuring it out. The age he was diagnosed at doesn't really make a difference. It seems like it was caught during his physical which means he likely wasn't showing many signs of it. His pancreas is likely still working somewhat effectively but it will slowly stop over the next few years which means that in that time, called the "Honeymoon Phase", his body is going to react without rhyme or reason. He can eat the exact same things take the same amount of insulin and get completely different results. This is why it was in the Brewers best interests to not sign him. He's going to have to learn how to not kill himself everyday while trying to learn how to be a professional pitcher. One of those things is going to take a backseat and no matter which one it is it's not going to be good for the Brewers. If I was him, however, I take the money, especially after being diagnosed.

Can someone explain why pre-draft physicals aren't... well... mandatory? Especially for guys who will be going in the first few rounds?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

However

questioning the decision to not take the money, and go into

professional baseball where the Brewers have a very large incentive, 2

million dollars being the least of it, to ensure this kid stays healthy

vs going to college, probably the most unhealthy place in the world

outside of Amsterdam and Bourbon Street(though College, at least my days

seemed to be both wrapped into one) is a valid opinion...at least in MY

opinion it is.

I think we can all agree that this kid isn't going to live like your average college kid. I don't think he'll be eating like your average college kid either - he's aware of his medical condition and how serious it can be, so aware of it in fact, that he passed up a lucrative opportunity to play pro baseball at this time.

Money isn't everything and managing type I diabetes doesn't require a great deal of money - so the whole "money could have helped his condition" really only applies if the diabetes leads to other health problems, and even then, I don't think any of us know enough about the Covey's to make a definitive assessment on that situation. For example, how do we know they aren't wealthy already? Or if they have excellent health insurance?

Because

it's a decision about their sons FUTURE!! Why rush the decision? At

the end of the day, it's their right, no question about it. But it's

also HIS right to question their decision as on the outside looking in,

it doesn't make sense that his son is going to get better medical care 2

million dollars richer and going to college rather than minor league

baseball as a 1st round pick where the team has a vested interest in

making sure he receives the best medical attention.

When I make a decision, I make it - spending a few more hours debating it isn't going to change my mind. It doesn't sound like they rushed the decision anymore than they had to - I think the only thing that could possibly have changed their mind is if they had a few more weeks, possibly months to make this decision, a few hours was not going to make a difference in my opinion.

Bottom line is, none of us know every detail of the Covey family - so it's speculative at best for anyone to say taking the money was the right decision.

There aren't a lot of MLB pitchers

with Type I diabetics, and I don't agree that the odds are better he

will receive better medical care, and there are a whole lot of places,

"known for quality medical care". It's also putting him in a position

to live the college life style, just about the most unhealthy life style

there is.

Again, in all likelihood he is not going to live your average college life in terms of dieting - I think that if anything is clear at this point, that is. Not all college kids eat like crap these days either - a lot has changed in recent years.

In my opinion, he will have the opportunity for better medical care in San Diego. He will most likely have the same physician, nutritionist, etc. to work with for a few years and it will be much easier for him to develop good routines being in the same place and close to family. You have to also consider the fact that UCSD medical center is one of the top medical facilities in the nation, (it's also ranked #22 in the nation specifically for diabetes - I'm sure that factored in their decision) - Even if the brewers were to hire a personal nutritionist, they can't match the care and expertise that the 22nd ranked diabetic facility in the country can provide.

And pressure? Having 2 million dollars and being set

for the rest of your life for playing a game is not pressure. Passing

UP 2 million dollars and having to prove yourself over the next 3-4

years just so you can MAYBE get back and make 2 million dollars and then

at that point being behind where you would have been had he climbed the

ladder in our system.

I don't think getting back is his priority right now - seems pretty clear that his health is his top priority right now. Accepting 2 million dollars to play professional baseball would put a lot more pressure on an 18 year old kid than going to college - it's just one less thing over his head right now.

I don't know what I would have done in the same situation, it's a bigger decision than some on here are making it out to be - it's not as simple as just taking the money. I wish the kid the best and hope he learns to manage his diabetes effectively and is able to return to pro baseball at some point. When I look at it from the Brewers perspective, it may sound harsh, but it's probably best for them - Covey has a long road ahead of him and the Brewers get the pick back next year, they don't lose anything in this.

Do you guys really think he's going to be visiting a doctor everyday or something? Expertise? Nope. Supervision? Help managing your blood sugar on a daily basis? Yep. This isn't a death sentence. And no I don't agree that he's definitely not going to live like your average college kid. Who knows what his personality is like. You might be right, he might not live like your average college kid. But you don't know that for sure. He's going to have a lot more chances to do the wrong things in college as far as his health goes, just my opinion. Good luck to him.

Fate, draft system conspire to hurt Dylan Covey

Tom Haudricourt/Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Neither side was at fault in the Milwaukee Brewers' failed attempt to sign first-round draft pick Dylan Covey.

It certainly wasn't Covey's fault that he developed Type 1 diabetes at 18 without realizing it. If not for a physical examination arranged by the Brewers, Covey still might not know, putting his health in peril.

And it certainly wasn't the Brewers' fault that they selected the highly ranked prep right-hander with the 14th pick of the June draft. At the time, there was no reason to think Covey was anything but a perfectly healthy pitcher with a bright future.

Because Covey had a bit of a fall-off in some of his outings toward the end of his senior season - now attributable to the onset of diabetes - some suggested red flags should have gone up for the Brewers. What that amounts to is the worst kind of second-guessing.

"The kid didn't know (he had diabetes); the parents didn't know," said Brewers general manager Doug Melvin. "How could we know? (Scouting director) Bruce Seid is beat up over this, but it's just a very unfortunate situation.

"It might have been a worse situation if we had signed him first (before the diagnosis)."

Even with the diagnosis, the Brewers tried to sign Covey, who instead chose to attend the University of San Diego to stay close to home and work on getting his dramatically changed lifestyle in order. They offered less money than the $2 million the Coveys originally sought, but considering the circumstances, it was a commendable effort.

In the end, it was the system that worked against both the Coveys and the Brewers. Most of the top picks waited until the Aug. 16 deadline, hoping it would drive up their signing bonuses.

Because the commissioner's office didn't want one player to use the bonus of another to drive up his asking price, teams were asked to wait as long as possible to make concrete offers. That led to a flurry of last-minute signings, and to the chagrin of baseball executives, most of the teams spent far more than the recommended bonuses anyway.

Covey didn't get his diabetes diagnosis until a couple of days before the deadline. That stunning news left little time to process the information and decide whether it was best to go pro or wait.

As it was, the Covey family tried to digest as much information on the condition as possible. They talked to medical experts, and Dylan even chatted via telephone with Toronto's Brandon Morrow, who pitches with Type 1 diabetes.

After the deadline passed, Darrell Covey, father of Dylan, spoke with Melvin for 45 minutes over the phone.

"He said once they found out (Dylan) had diabetes, money didn't mean anything," said Melvin. "He said if they had a couple of weeks to digest everything, it might have been different. They were still in shock over it.

"Waiting this long hurts everybody in the draft. The Coveys asked for an extension (of the deadline), but they wouldn't give them one. We came in with a last-ditch effort, but there was no exchanging of figures.

"We were just trying to convince (Dylan) he could do it. We even told him he could wait until February to report to give him time to deal with this. It wasn't about the money at that point."

This situation provided another example of how broken the draft system is. Because high picks hold out until the last minute and teams wait to make firm offers, players miss out on their first year of pro ball.

Next year, MLB plans to hold a pre-draft player combine, à la the NFL and NBA, with physicals that will prevent a last-minute diagnosis such as Covey received. But look for management to insist on hard-slotting bonuses in the next labor negotiation as well as earlier deadlines to sign.

The Brewers will get the 15th pick in the first round of the 2011 draft as compensation for not signing Covey, as well as their own pick. Should Covey never approach his previous form while dealing with Type 1 diabetes, the Brewers will be better off with the future pick.

Assigning blame in this situation is pointless. Stuff happens. In this case, unfortunate, unpredictable stuff happened.

Still high hopes

Though losing Covey was a blow, Seid remains high on the Brewers' 2010 draft. He believes second-rounder Jimmy Nelson, a right-hander out of University of Alabama, third-rounder Tyler Thornburg, a righty out of Charleston Southern University, and fifth-rounder Matt Miller, a righty out of University of Michigan, have potential to pitch in the majors.

All three are pitching for the Brewers' rookie club in Helena, Mont. Nelson, who throws regularly in the low 90s while touching 95 mph, is 2-0 with a 4.58 ERA and two saves in eight appearances, with seven walks and 22 strikeouts in 17 2/3 innings.

Thornburg, who throws in the mid- to high 90s despite his slight 5-11, 185-pound frame, has a 1.42 ERA in seven appearances with 23 strikeouts in 12 2/3 innings. Miller is 6-1 with a 3.47 ERA in 11 starts, with 19 walks and 39 strikeouts in 57 innings.

"We wanted to sign Dylan Covey, no question," said Seid, who included seven pitchers among picks Nos. 2 through 13. "But we still think this is going to be a good draft for us. We picked up some good arms."

If it does turn out to be a good draft for the Brewers, it will be at a bargain price. Because they didn't sign Covey, they spent only $2.43 million in signing bonuses, the lowest figure among the 30 clubs.

Archived