Brewer Fanatic

General Draft Discussion

Hart isn't sure if Sale is going to be a starter? Yipe, not really the ceiling you're looking for in a high-ish first round pick if he's accurate.

Jon Hart is kind of an idiot.

Reynolds just called Sale a soft-tosser. /facepalm

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll say Cox too. He put up some impressive numbers for a sophmore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I'll say Cox too. He put up some impressive numbers for a sophmore.

Glad we're on the same page here. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Cox would allow them to trade for pitching. Thats safer then drafting it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The core of the Brewers is going to be together for a while? Really? you mean like through next season?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I hope Rick Peterson recommended this pick.

Another HS arm. :Sigh: Somebody wake me when 2015 gets here.

Wake me up when Arnett is in Milwaukee...

I hope he gets there, but come on. Just because you draft a college player doesn't mean he'll help you out tomorrow...

Well, people should be pleased that it wasn't Biddle. Covey entered the year as a potential top 5-10 overall pick. Great overall stuff combined with an advanced sense of pitching. This was my write-up on Covey after last summer's Aflac All-American Classic:

After watching Covey pitch in the Aflac All-American Classic last summer, the most impressive thing that stood out to me was how well he disrupted the timing off the opposing batters he faced. He was fearless and aggressive, and really did a nice job owning the outside corner to right-handed batters. He has a slow windup but a fast arm, although there appears to be some effort to his delivery. An overall plus athlete with loose actions, he’s built strongly with broad shoulders and a strong lower half. His fastball sits in the 89-92 range, can touch 95, and he has a great three-pitch mix with a very good curveball and a surprisingly refined changeup. Despite battling some injuries early last summer, he settled down late in the summer and into the fall and has really improved his overall draft status, putting his name among the best pitchers, from high school and college, available for this June’s draft. He is part of an incredible recruiting class for the University of San Diego.

Funny how we heard the Brewers connected to 6-8, or more, players leading up the draft, yet not a single mention of Covey. The Brewers remain one of the quietest, most secretive teams out there when it comes to their draft interests.

Another HS arm. :Sigh: Somebody wake me when 2015 gets here.

True, but this guy profiles as similar to Gallardo as anyone else we've taken in the past decade. This isn't the raw flamethrower we usually take. This pick seems to be a new direction.

Wow the Cubs take a D2 guy, please be a reach that doesn't work out.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Community Moderator
I'm happy with the Covey pick. The more or less consensus top high school arm in California is fine with me. Keep pounding HS pitching and eventually your number will come up. But then again I still believe in Rogers and Jeffress and play the lottery every week.

Archived