Brewer Fanatic

RHP Kameron Loe called up; Stern DFA'd; Estrada placed on 15-day DL

battlekow
I do believe that all of the players are assets for the organization, I've never been shy about that opinion. I do however believe LaPorta is a first class douche

That's fine and all, but why then did you reject the idea that he was treated like property because he was traded?

Let's say it is true that Milwaukee has a bad reputation for the way it treats its players. Couldn't that partially explain why LaPorta reacted the way he did when asked to sign something for free? Why hold that fully against him, if the organization treated him badly? Of course, signing the stuff would have been the right thing to do, it wouldn't have cost him anything. But Rogers bringing that up wasn't classy either, which of course goes back to how the Brewers organization treats players.

I honestly don't recall exactly what I said, do you remember what thread that was in? I may have worded a response poorly but my opinions on players as assets hasn't ever changed nor has my opinion of LaPorta. Wasn't that thread from over the winter?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I didn't mean to imply that the Brewers necessarily did anything wrong with Stern, just that there was the potential there he was jerked around. I'd really like the players to view Milwaukee as a 1st class organization, and unfortunately I don't think the organization has progressed as far as I had originally hoped. I realize this is just one former player, and I have no idea where he was getting his current information from, but it did give me a moment of pause and the conversation did challenge me to view the organization from a different perspective.

I look at guys like Mike Cameron and Jason Kendall...........and even Hoffman, who probably could have wound up in L.A., who chose not only to play in Milwaukee, but wanted to stay. There's other guys that have left and said some less than kind things. I guess I take it as 'everyone's got a story', and everyone's going to view things differently.

I'm absolutely certain that Stern knew the manner in which he was going to be bounced around, and then eventually DFA'd before this all got underway. Hopefully, his brief foray in MLB will be a good memory for him, rather than choosing to be bitter about it. He got to a level that most ball players never do, if even for a grand total of 8 at bats.

Color me unexcited.

I might wind up having to eat these words. Loe's sinker was a fantastic pitch last night -- just tons of break on it. His slider looked pretty solid too. Not sure I think he could have as much success as a starter, since he'd lose velocity, but he could be a nice fit in the bullpen.

There's some sinker/slider types that have had success starting. Say what you want about Jon Garland, but he's having a great year and he hasn't missed a start since early in W's first term.

I agree with you TLB, I was impressed with Loe last night. JB12, I hope you are on to something......it would be nice if we found something like Garland with one of these guys. I think the crew is due for a diamond in the rough......

There's some sinker/slider types that have had success starting. Say what you want about Jon Garland, but he's having a great year and he hasn't missed a start since early in W's first term.
Melvin should have signed Garland instead of Davis, both guys were paid the same and have similar deals. Garland was availabe but Melvin chose Davis instead. I think Melvin didn't even contact Garland's agent. The Brewers signed Davis and a week later Garland signed with the Padres.

Certainly Loe is going to have moments where he's ineffective, but in watching his first few outings, you really have to wonder why it took a contract clause to get this guy to the major leagues. Is the Nashville coaching staff underselling these guys in their daily reports? Or is Brewer brass completely clueless when evaluating pitching?

Think for a moment where this staff might be if Loe and Axford had made the team out of spring training instead of Suppan and Vargas. It's decision making like this that causes distrust of this regime. Remember, not only did Loe and Axford not make the team out of spring, it was a foregone conclusion that Villanueva wouldn't last beyond the first week and he's been the most effective reliever who's been there the entire way. Granted that's like being the tallest midget, but what was this braintrust seeing?

Think for a moment where this staff might be if Loe and Axford had made the team out of spring training instead of Suppan and Vargas.

Probably not much different. Now if we had Axford instead of Hoffman....

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Certainly Loe is going to have moments where he's ineffective, but in watching his first few outings, you really have to wonder why it took a contract clause to get this guy to the major leagues. Is the Nashville coaching staff underselling these guys in their daily reports? Or is Brewer brass completely clueless when evaluating pitching?
I think it's more the case of keeping a spot warm for Soup. I mean all the finagling to get him on the opening day roster by cooking up an injury was enough- can you imagine if they were forced to keep yet another more talented player? Worst Brewer ever. A big part of me is pushing for Heether to turn into the next McGehee.

Archived