Brewer Fanatic

RHP Kameron Loe called up; Stern DFA'd; Estrada placed on 15-day DL

battlekow
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Loe had a 4.55 FIP in Triple A. Needless to say, I'm less than excited to see him throw against big league batters with the Brewers' defense behind him. This may be "making a move just to make a move," but with the bullpen running on fumes lately, they needed a fresh arm (just like they did when they called up Estrada as a warm body).

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Bringing Loe up is the right call, as he's probably better than Suppan. Since we're going to lose someone, it might as well be the less talented pitcher.

I'm with TheCrew07 regarding Parra. Next year, Bush will be gone and we will once again be questioning what we have in Manny Parra and whether or not he should be in the rotation. What better time than now to tell Parra that barring injury he is going to be the starter for an extended period. If his problems are confidence related, then having him worry about getting yanked if he doesn't perform is the worst possible situation.

As for stuff, at what point do results trump stuff?

I agree results are the bottom line, but when you have two pitchers of similar age who have both put up less-than-stellar numbers in limited opportunities, I would back the guy who has the stuff to potentially dominate if he puts it together rather than the guy who has the potential to be less-than-stellar. If we were talking about a significant difference in results, I'd be with you, but when the difference is miniscule, I'll definitely go with the guy with the dominant "stuff."

Apparently, the point is moot, as both will be in the bullpen. In my opinion, Bush should be the one going to the pen, as he's not pitching well and he has no future with the team. Other than being right-handed, he really doesn't have any reason to be in the rotation ahead of Parra. But then again, Macha has no reason to look beyond this year. He has to feel that he's gone unless the team really turns things around, so he will do anything to eke out more wins this season, and Bush is probably less risky (with less potential reward) than Parra.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

From the previously linked Tom H. article:

Melvin did say he has some upcoming decisions on pitchers. Reliever David Riske has just over a week remaining on his 30-day minor-league rehab assignment. In four outings since moving up to Nashville, Riske has allowed no runs in five innings, with two hits, no walks and four strikeouts.

At some point, left-hander Doug Davis is expected to return after being sidelined with inflammation of the heart lining. And Melvin said Manny Parra could get more starts at some point.

“We’ll see who steps up and who doesn’t,” said Melvin. “When guys get opportunities, we’ll see who takes charge.”

Not to start another "Fire Macha" or "Fire Melvin" thread, but who is setting the rotation, Melvin or Macha?

That said, we do have a lot of changes ahead due to limited 40-man space. I really hope the Brewers decide to look to the future with this season. We really don't have a good shot at the playoffs, so we should do as much this year to rid ourselves of players who aren't going to be part of the future while showcasing young players who may play roles on future Brewers teams. Dropping Suppan and Vargas for Loe and Capuano would slightly signify they are heading down that road. Keeping Axford closing is another good sign. It will be interesting to see where things go from here.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Parra had two seasons as a regular in the rotation, and frankly wasn't any good. Not sure what is to be gained by starting that experiment over again. His results as a reliever this year have been better overall (particularly before the entire pitching staff turned into a disaster). To me a better approach is to see what you have in him as a reliever. He has had 60 or so starts to demonstrate that he is not an effective starter, so I think the better approach is to continue to use him out of the bullpen to determine if he can pitch at all.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Stern???? Really? Given the injuries in the AAA OF, that is pretty surprising.

Off the top of my head, there are 3 moves I'd make before that:

1) DFA Suppan - dead horse (that can be taken a couple ways...)

2) DFA Cruz - At least Stern was OF insurance. I doubt anyone claims either of these, but I'd take the chance on Cruz first.

3) Zaun to 60-day DL.

Well, I guess the Suppan topic lives for another week, when Riske comes back.

Still a roster move to come with Edmonds, isn't there? At this point, that will almost have to be Suppan, won't it? I suppose Coffey could go on the DL, but that doesn't sound too likely.

Thank you Adam Stern for being the back and forth guy from Nashville to Milwaukee the past month. Now go away....really? Unbelievable move when you have a plethora of choices. That's not exactly the #1 on my list.

Really? Now we're complaining about the Brewers DFAing a 30 year old guy who clearly is not a MLB player, and was only here because of a series of injuries.

I'm complaining about the move being made for the reasons that CheezWizHead mentioned previously. At least he's OF depth. What happens when Edmonds gets hurt again? Are they going to call up Cain? Waste his service time by having him sit on the bench?

Still a roster move to come with Edmonds, isn't there? At this point, that will almost have to be Suppan, won't it? I suppose Coffey could go on the DL, but that doesn't sound too likely.

Nope, Stern was optioned to Nashville to make room for Edmonds, then he was DFA'd to make room on the 40-man roster for Loe.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I'm complaining about the move being made for the reasons that CheezWizHead mentioned previously. At least he's OF depth. What happens when Edmonds gets hurt again? Are they going to call up Cain? Waste his service time by having him sit on the bench?

Well if Edmonds can survive for a couple days, Gerut will be back. Inglett can play OF as well. The fact is Stern brought nothing to the party other than an ability to be a mediocre AAA player and fill out Nashville's roster, and there really was no reason to keep him around. Not sure how a bad player is considered depth. Adam Stern is not exactly difficult to replace. There are far better things to complain about with this team. This move is a net nothing.

Still a roster move to come with Edmonds, isn't there? At this point, that will almost have to be Suppan, won't it? I suppose Coffey could go on the DL, but that doesn't sound too likely

no that move was stern going down.

Edmonds is 40, many want Gerut DFA'd because of his non-production and Inglett is an emergency guy. Obviously the Brewers thought enough of Stern to bring him up, being a mediocre AAA player, just filling out Nashville's roster. All I'm saying is since we've got a guy who is old, a guy who isn't really performing other than hitting for the cycle, you probably want to have some depth!

Nope, Stern was optioned to Nashville to make room for Edmonds, then he was DFA'd to make room on the 40-man roster for Loe.

Got it. Well, with Riske, Hawkins, Davis, and gerut all on teh Horizon, I suspect they are content to keep Suppan around for the time being in light of how badly the pitching staff has been raveged lately. The good news is, there should be no shortage of opportunities to say good bye in the coming weeks.

All I'm saying is since we've got a guy who is old, a guy who isn't really performing other than hitting for the cycle, you probably want to have some depth!
Why, so you can replace one of those other guys with someone you know can't produce (Stern)? If the situation gets that desperate, I assure you they will be able to find options for the 25th guy on the roster that will be as good or better than Stern. I con't believe I am even taking the time to argue what is a complete non-factor.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Nope, Edmonds was activatedand Stern sent to AAA. Then Stern was DFA'd to make room for Loe on the 40-man. And Estrada was sent to AAA to make room for Loe on the 25-man.

You've got to keep up with this or you fall behind quickly! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

With as poorly as the pitching has been, I'm sure they will be going with a 13-man pitching staff for the time. So DFA of Suppan will probably be coupled with adding another pitcher.

You've got to keep up with this or you fall behind quickly! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

No doubt. You need a damn war room just to know who's on the team.

Really? Now we're complaining about the Brewers DFAing a 30 year old guy who clearly is not a MLB player, and was only here because of a series of injuries.

Can the Brewers really afford to be that cold with any player regardless of talent? I don't think it's a stretch to think that Stern was jerked around here, I really think the Brewers need to be more of a players organization, not that the rats should be captaining the ship, but I'd rather see them go out of their way to treat players with as much dignity as possible. I would hope that the organization handled the situation with as much class as possible, but this does appear on the surface to be a potential situation of don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I honestly believe for the Brewers to compete they need to buy wins at a discounted rate with Braun type deals, but the player has to be willing to sign the deal, and how you're treated on the way in and on the way out makes a difference, word gets around. From the conversations I've had with a former player he's made it pretty clear that Milwaukee doesn't exactly have a glowing reputation... and I'm talking about the way the organization treats it's players, not the city. This is all stuff that we as fans generally don't care about , but it's made pretty clear to me that all these little things do matter to the players.

As far as the move itself goes, the only other OF on the 40 man roster is Lo Cain, and I'd rather he not be called up to sit the bench like Gamel and Lucroy before him. I just don't like where this going.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived