Brewer Fanatic

RHP Kameron Loe called up; Stern DFA'd; Estrada placed on 15-day DL

battlekow

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Since Estrada has pitched three days in a row and hasn't been very good since his debut in Cincinnati, I have to imagine he's going down.
That won't suffice, since it won't clear a spot on the 40-man. It could be coupled with a DFAing of Luis Cruz or Adam Heether, but getting rid of Suppan seems more straightforward.

I guess you just beat me to this.

Not an exciting option, and not sure if they're going to use him as a starter or reliever at this point. Hopefully he can do well either way, because obviously the Brewers' pitching needs some help at this point. Will be very interesting to see what the corresponding roster move ends up being.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Zaun to the 60-day DL could clear a 40 man spot if they don't want to DFA anyone. Loe's another arm to throw at the wall who could give us multiple innings if nothing else.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Since Estrada has pitched three days in a row and hasn't been very good since his debut in Cincinnati, I have to imagine he's going down.
That won't suffice, since it won't clear a spot on the 40-man. It could be coupled with a DFAing of Luis Cruz or Adam Heether, but getting rid of Suppan seems more straightforward.

I realized that right after I clicked submit and then I got an error message and couldn't edit the post. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/ohwell.gif

TuesdaysWithRillo wrote:

Anyone have a scouting report on Loe? Does he throw in the 90's? What are his secondary pitches?

According to fangraphs, he's mainly a fastball guy in the upper 80s with a ton of movement (based on his GB%). Secondary pitches are curveball, slider and change, throwing the curve the most.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

The only way this interests me in the slightest is if the end result is cutting Suppan.

However, I don't think Loe makes the team any better. This is akin to throwing doo-doo against the wall and seeing what sticks. Well, in my opinion, if you throw a bunch of crap against a wall, all you end up with is a wall that smells like crap.

This move seems like making a move to make a move, and nothing else.

As others have said Loe may be just as bad as Suppan, but MLEs are often wrong one way or another so at least Loe has a chance to be better. I'll take replacement-level over Suppan, because he has been below replacement-level.

That coupled with the booing, and a change needs to be made. If nothing else, to keep a majority of the fan base from rioting.

Im sorry but it is hard to believe that Loe could not be any better than Suppan based solely off of his AAA numbers so far. I think that we could all agree that Suppan probably could not have an ERA under 6 if he pitched for any level of pro ball.

I am not even being down on him, but he has completely lost it.

While Loe may be better than Soup, he's not any kind of long-term answer. I guess if you had to call him up or risk losing him, you call him up. Color me unexcited.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is Bronswell Patrick available for a start?

I always liked Bronswell, just on name alone. For a while, I thought about naming my firstborn son Bronswell Patrick Harmann.....daughter was born first.....wife probably wouldn't like it.

While Loe may be better than Soup, he's not any kind of long-term answer. I guess if you had to call him up or risk losing him, you call him up. Color me unexcited.

I don't think anyone is proclaiming Loe as a long term fixture. We're going to have to wait for a trade or the off-season to see any kind of long term solutions for the rotation.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Loe is one year older than Manny Parra. Loe has logged 343 career innings to Parra's 363.

Compared to Parra, Loe has the better career ERA (4.77 to 5.08) and better career WHIP (1.516 to 1.660)

Loe's entire major league career was spent in the AL pitching for a team that plays in a hitter's park. Parra's entire major league career has been in the NL.

Now if you assume both are completely healthy, who's the better pitcher? The stats say Loe.

Loe is also decidedly a ground ball pitcher (1.82 to 1 GO/AO ratio) who tends to not run up pitch counts (3.61 pitches per AB).

When a full-time starter, Loe's production in the bigs has been bad. ERA well over 5, and he's never had a season with the kind of success Manny had in 2008. And his stuff doesn't begin to compare to Parra's. Not sure why you seem to enjoy painting him as the guy that should be taking Parra's job, but that's not what he'll do. He'll wind up taking Suppan's job, most likely.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

When a full-time starter, Loe's production in the bigs has been bad. ERA well over 5, and he's never had a season with the kind of success Manny had in 2008. And his stuff doesn't begin to compare to Parra's. Not sure why you seem to enjoy painting him as the guy that should be taking Parra's job, but that's not what he'll do. He'll wind up taking Suppan's job, most likely.

In 2005, Loe went 9-6 with a 3.42 ERA in 48 games including 8 starts. I think that compares very favorably with what Parra did in 2008.

Loe as a starter is 13-19 with a 5.08 ERA. How is that "well over 5"? Parra is 21-19 with a 5.23 ERA.

Where did I say he should be taking Parra's job? I never said or even implied that. I compared him to Parra for the simple reason that they are of similar age and experience and that if someone thinks Parra belongs in the majors, then it's fair to say so does Loe.

As for stuff, at what point do results trump stuff?

I would like Parra to be given one last extended look as a starter and this seems to be the perfect year for it as we aren't going to playoffs regardless. If he fails again then I'd be satisfied with him in a bullpen role and be ready to move on. I would be willing to concede that whatever he had when he pitched that perfect game in AAA, he'll likely never find. Parra has been Macha's doghouse for a long time now, Parra and Narveson are the only pitchers who I remember Macha openly criticizing, and Macha has demonstrated a willingness to let Parra work through things on the mound, he's had the quickest hook of any pitcher.

Manny has made his own bed here, but so have Macha and Melvin, I just don't like this entire situation.

edit. By extended look I'm talking at least 15 starts in a row, but since he's going back to the BP, I doubt that's going to happen.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived