Brewer Fanatic

Rickie Weeks

Weeks best value to us would be on a 4 year contract. He is not as valuable as Fielder but we could probably get him at half the price. All but the best paid 2B are paid under $8M a year on average.

1. Chase Utley, $12,142,857 (2007-13)
  2. Brian Roberts,

$10,000,000 (2010-13)

3. Robinson

Cano, $7,500,000 (2008-11)

4. Brian

Roberts, $7,150,000 (2008-09)

5. Dustin

Pedroia, $6,750,000 (2009-14)

Brandon

Phillips, $6,750,000 (2008-11)

6. Orlando Hudson, $6,250,000 (2008)

Luis Castillo, $6,250,000 (2008-11)

7. Kaz Matsui, $5,500,000 (2008-10)

Freddy Sanchez, $5,500,000 (2008-09)

Mark Ellis, $5,500,000 (2009-10)

8. Placido Polanco, $4,600,000 (2006-09)

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Really what Weeks does is much more important to the Brewers next year than what Fielder does. Unlike Fielder, you can't guarantee decent draft pick compensation for Weeks and his injury issues means holding on to him without a contract extension is very risky. If Weeks isn't interested in an extension he has to be moved which basically makes next years team without Fielder and Weeks a .500 team at best which means you have to tear everything down. If Weeks does sign a long term contract you can make the case for one last run with Fielder and Hart next season depending on how the team plays going forward.

Verified Member
Good Rickie is awesome, bad Rickie is pretty bad. I'm ready for the Weeks era to end. Unfortunately, I don't think 2nd baseman are all that hot of a commodity. So many people want to blow up the roster. Weeks is definitely one you want to ship out if you move Prince or ship McGehee/Hart (not that that will happen).
Formerly AKA Pete

Good Rickie is awesome, bad Rickie is pretty bad. I'm ready for the Weeks era to end. Unfortunately, I don't think 2nd baseman are all that hot of a commodity. So many people want to blow up the roster. Weeks is definitely one you want to ship out if you move Prince or ship McGehee/Hart (not that that will happen).
If you trade Weeks and Fielder you are looking at a .400 win ball club at best really. The Brewers probably won't sniff .500 for the next 2-4 years after those trades. Weeks will be rather inexpensive to extend considering his injuries in the past also the Brewers have absolutely no one ready to take over for Weeks at 2B and no Lawrie is not a 2B he is worse than Weeks defensively at 2B. Lawrie is going to be either a 1B or a corner OF for the Brewers in the future.

I don't see why the Brewers should even think about trading Weeks unless the Brewers get an offer that they can not refuse. Weeks best value to the Brewers is resigning with the Brewers.

Yeah, I would love to see us approach Rickie with a contract extension this year.

The thing about him is you can see with him more than anyone else on the team how he's going just by how he is in the box. When he's calm, has limited movement, and seems to be relaxed, he's taking pitches, working the count and jumping all over any mistakes.

When he's not going well, he's diving out, he's on his front foot, and he just looks out of wack.

I may be just incredibly stubborn, but I'm absolutely convinced as soon as we move Weeks he's going to become that player we all know he's capable of being, and have seen for stretches.

4-5 years at 6-7 million would be just fine with me. 5 years 35 million extension?

The thing about Rickie is even looking back at his incredibly "disappointing" career thus far, he's been a pretty good 2nd basemen offensively.

As for Lawrie, having watched him play a couple times last year I can't even venture a guess on his future defensively. He could easily become a good defensive 2nd basemen, but that depends on his concentration. He almost appears as though he's simply waiting for his next AB in the field. And then he can show great soft hands and good range on the next play.

I would like to see him moved to 3rd base to be honest as I think he profiles much better there. Plus it's an easy move from 3rd to 1st if it doesn't pan out. I guess I just see him as a disappointment at 1st base with his athletic ability. I hope he does as well because he has the chance to have a special career at 2nd, 3rd, less so at 1st.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I don't see a strong motivation for Weeks to sign an extension at this point. Any money the Brewers will offer as an extension will probably be available to him once he becomes a FA, plus he will have teams like the Mets that may want him and he's already made millions.

I don't see a strong motivation for Weeks to sign an extension at this point. Any money the Brewers will offer as an extension will probably be available to him once he becomes a FA, plus he will have teams like the Mets that may want him and he's already made millions.

I disagree. Weeks has an obvious history of injuries including to both wrists....

I think he has a strong incentive to sign a contract that would guarantee him 30-35 million dollars. I suppose it depends on what he feels his worth is. He talked about a possible extension earlier this year saying that signing one means you have to leave some money on the table, but you for that you get security. Something to that affect.

This may take some of the pressure of Weeks and he may relax and become the player we've seen in stretches more consistently.

I don't see a strong motivation for Weeks to sign an extension at this

point.

I agree with HiandTight. With his injury history and the fact that a lot of free agents aren't getting nearly what they thought they would, he may jump on the job security for another three years. Just once, I want to see him out of the leadoff spot to see what he can do. If this season gets away from us, which it looks like it will, Macha should bat Gomez first to see if he can handle it, and move Weeks down to 5 of 6 to see what he can do when he doesn't bat leadoff.

The Brewers have McGeehee through 2014 when he'll be 32 at the end of the year. No real reason for a small market payroll strapped team to sign a slightly overweight, range starved 3B beyond that.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Weeks will not be overly expensive to extend. The problem I have with him trading Rickie is when he is on, the Brewers are on, when he is off or injuried the Brewers are off. He really is the spark plug to the Crew just wish he didn't run so hot and cold and became consistant. I really think he needs to stay in a Brewer uniform.

I still can't bare the thought of Lawrie becoming our future 1st baseman...that sounds about as appealing as when Nomar was an everyday 1st baseman :/ I really think that needs to figure out 2nd base and stick there or move to LF, just don't see him playing anywhere else. I do often forget that he is only 20 though... plenty of time to improve

Orlando Hudson signed a one year deal last February for $5 million. Felipe Lopez signed for a $1.75 million base. Both are having better years than Weeks.

Weeks isn't worth all that much. Maybe 3 yrs/$18 million tops and that's assuming he picks it up this year and finishes around .275/.360/.430. If he chooses to test the market, fine. Every year there are bargain FA 2B available.

Rickie hasn't been anything special. I too would like to see him moved from the leadoff spot as I think he was only put there because we didn't really have a better option. To his credit he's become a very solid lead off guy, but I think he'd do more damage down the order. I wouldn't be opposed to moving him either. As much as I hate to say it the Cardinals might be an excellent fit if Shumaker continues to be underwhelming. Probably can't get Shelby Miller out of them, but maybe some other low level power arms.

Orlando Hudson signed a one year deal last February for $5 million. Felipe Lopez signed for a $1.75 million base. Both are having better years than Weeks.

Weeks isn't worth all that much. Maybe 3 yrs/$18 million tops and that's assuming he picks it up this year and finishes around .275/.360/.430. If he chooses to test the market, fine. Every year there are bargain FA 2B available.

I agree. Anything more than maybe 3 years/$18 million like you said would be unwarranted at this point (and that might even be a little high, looking at that list posted earlier). I know people on this board like Weeks, but I'd hate to see the Brewers give him a 4 year/$24 million contract or something, as some have suggested. He just hasn't earned a payday like that, quite frankly.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The motivation that Weeks would have to sign an extension is the same motivation that the Brewers have to be reticent to offer him a deal. It doesn't make sense for the Brewers to offer Weeks a deal based on his potential when there have been injury issues. The Brewers can let him go to free agency and go with stopgaps until a minor leaguer is ready to take the job. If it wouldn't take much to sign Weeks, I would be surprised that he isn't already signed.

The Brewers do have an interesting choice. If they have no chance to sign Fielder, then the Brewers could have lots of money to spend. They may decide that Week's potential is worth the injury risk, and pay more than may be prudent The Brewers could find themselves with money to spend and not being able to do so efficiently.

"They may decide that Week's potential is worth the injury risk"

Potential? Weeks is in his 6th full season in the majors. Ron Darling pretty much echoed the sentiment around baseball on Weeks during the Mets/Brewers series that he's likely reached the level he's going to reach and that Weeks' high K rate this year is not something you should be seeing from someone with his experience and tools.

Potential could have different meanings. When I say potential, I don't mean that I would hope for Weeks to get better in any one category, except for health. Weeks' potential could be a guy who plays 150 games with average defense and an OPS over 800 and is a plus on the bases. That has a certain amount of value. For the right price, it would be a decent gamble to extend him for a few years. The Brewers have talent at 2B in minors, but it doesn't look to be ready by 2012.

And if you mean Lawrie, they don't have talent that will stick at 2B (Green is a question mark there as well, from what I've read). I like the point JohnBriggs makes about there being viable FA options, but as I'm sure is obvious I am a big Weeks backer. I think if you extend him, the only question is health, and kramnoj sums up his value very well.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...

i think Weeks is naturally an early-pitch swinger, and i'd love to see how he does in the 6 hole. i understand he's the best leadoff hitter we have now, but i think his numbers will improve if he's dropped down in the lineup. i'm a bit Weeks fan.

seems really early to be deciding anything on Weeks based on Brett Lawrie.

Its time to decide on Weeks because he has one year left on his contract. It ahs little to do with Lawrie. If Weeks were to be traded Lawrie wouldn't be in Milwaukee next year anyway. It might be Farris if he ever returns this year

I love how some on here talk about how the crew is a .400 win team or a .500 win team without Prince and Weeks.

We are about a .400 win team with both right now too.

.500 would be a nice improvement.

Say what you want, but Weeks is the best offensive 2nd baseman this franchise has ever produced outside of Molitor. I'd rather lock him up than count on Lawrie- who will probably be an outfielder if he ever even makes it. Gamel will probably end up somewhere other than 3rd as well- if ever given the chance, so I don't know if you can count on moving McGehee to 2nd in the near future either. Or, maybe you just put Weeks in center at some point. If he can be had for $6-7 million a season, I don't see how you don't move on it.

Weeks needs a new position....

FWIW....the D'Backs have unofficially raised the white flag & will be shopping their roster including 2B Kelly Johnson....just saying

I don't think moving Weeks who's having a bad year defensively for another bad defensive 2nd basemen is a very good idea. Especially one who's having a career year and is going to see a significant pay increase next year.

The last thing I want to see the Brewers do is trade for a player that plays a position that is among their strongest in the organization right now. Lawrie, Farris, Gennett, Dykstra, and Weeks at the major league level.

I'm fine with Weeks at 2nd, or a below average defender at 2nd moving forward if we have to. Escobar I hope will end up an elite defender, I was far more impressed with Gamel at 3rd last year than I expected to be with the reports.

The problem is right now we've got two corner IF'ers playing very poor defense, Escobar is playing poor defense and Weeks is struggling mightily defensively right now. He had at least become a average defender, now however it looks as though he's reverting back a bit.

But for what Weeks offers us both in actual production and in potential production, I see no reason to move him.

Archived