Brewer Fanatic

How much longer for Jeff Suppan? -- Latest: Suppan signs with STL, starts 6/15

Invader3K
Good job Crew. I really thought that they'd cut him before they broke for camp, but hey better late than never. It probably only cost the Brewers a loss or two to keep him so in the big picture he probably didn't kill them this year. If management learns it lesson from the Suppan-tragedy then it will be worth. If not, then we need to throw rotten eggs at Melvin and Mark.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quotes like this are the reason I've lost faith in Melvin... like FA was his only choice?

Well, unfortunately because the system was completely void of starting pitching prospects, yes it was his only choice. Sadly, any internal candidates would have pitched worse (see: Dana Eveland and Ben Hendrickson), so FA was his only choice.

Nevermind that we had just traded Cruz and Lee for a closer and sure FA was the only option.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Good to see the Brewers have finally moved on, now perhaps if Rivas/Rogers/Butler can kick it in to gear we could see one of them get into the rotation by the end of the season. They don't have to set aside a roster spot for dead weight anymore. Business aside, I wish Jeff the best. He never did anything outside of performance to deserve the boos that rained upon him. Still showed up for work every day and tried his best. The Brewers have certainly put up with worse.

The only way the Brewers would have a chance to catch St. Louis would be if they signed Suppan and used him as the closer. He's done, might as well go back to the restaurant for good.

By the way, what was so classy about Suppan's statement? Not that I expected it, but once again, nowhere did he take responsibility for his poor performance. He did not thank the fans either, though he did 'wish them his best', which we will need after the damage that he's done to the franchise.

To be fair, the fans were pretty ruthless to him this year, so it may be difficult for him to "thank the fans." Even "wishing them his best" is classier than many players would be given the situation.

Not saying the boos weren't justified, but the fans weren't entitled to a "thanks."

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

"I want to thank Mark Attanasio and Doug Melvin for all they have done for my family and me, especially how they handled this situation. I've played with a number of organizations, and the Brewers are one of the classiest.

"When I signed in 2007, I was committed to winning, and to this day I still am. Nobody is more disappointed than I am with how things have turned out. I enjoyed my time here in Milwaukee as both a player and a member of the community. As such, I will continue my involvement with Brewers Charities for the remainder of the 2010 season. My commitment to this cause and the people it serves is unwavering.

"I wish the Brewers organization, its fans and especially my teammates all the best."

...from McCalvy

Obviously it was time, but Suppan is a class act and I wish him the best. I hate to see any player that puts in 100% effort get booed, no matter how terrible the results.

I still remember the complete game he threw against his former team early in 2007. I really thought we made a good decision at that point. Remember that? See ya, Soup.

Not that it necessarily should make Suppan feel better, but I think a lot of that booing was indirectly meant for Melvin and company. Suppan just became the poster boy for the sad state of the organization, which is due in no small part to all of the money wasted on marginal players who are past their prime.

Most organizations would not have let things get as far as they did with Suppan. Common sense would have told them that the ill-will from the fans was not worth whatever production (and to a greater extent, pride for themselves) they were trying to squeeze out of Suppan these past few months. They let Suppan become the lightning rod for a frustrated fanbase, rather than admit their mistake -- and for that Doug Melvin and Mark Attanasio should be embarrassed.

How many times was it mentioned in that article that Suppan was Mark A's favorite player? 2 or 3? I'm really curious what's been said/happening with the pitching since 2006. How much was Mark A truly involved with Suppan? What about the other FA signings?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Jeff Gordon: STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST

In the same post in which he suggests the Cards should pick up Suppan, he has this gem to offer. Unfortunately, he hits the nail right on the head.

"Suppan gained lifetime financial security by signing that $42 million

deal in Milwaukee. But anybody halfway familiar with baseball knew he

could NOT pitch to that level.

That was an idiotic contract, another sad example of why the Brewers

have failed to get ahead. Does that franchise even have scouts?"

Ask Mr. Gordon if he thinks Matt Holliday will be earning his $17MM / year when he's 37.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Great move by the Cards. If Suppan gets it turned around they have a very cheap, experienced pitcher. It makes sense that he'll do slightly better in St. Louis. He is a guy who pitches to contact and the Cards defense is built around that philosophy. Ours is not. Good luck, Soup... except.. not.

Archived