Brewer Fanatic

How much longer for Jeff Suppan? -- Latest: Suppan signs with STL, starts 6/15

Invader3K
  • Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hammonds was but a blip on the screen. Not that he wasn't a horrible signing, he was - but he actually wasn't even that bad, basically he was the second coming of Marquis Grissom. He was just a china doll, which allowed Podsednik to emerge.

In my view, Suppan was the worst Brewer ever, when you factor in both his performance and how his bloated salary became an albatross and crippled the team.

We paid Hammonds $22.2 M for 0.1 WAR, Suppan $42 M for -0.8 WAR.....

So we paid Hammonds $222 M/WAR and Suppan $Infinity/WAR ?

I think it makes more sense to look at these in how much they paid in addition to their market value. Hammonds' production was probably worth somewhere around $0.25M while Suppan's was worth something more like -$3.5M. By that total, I've got Suppan costing the Brewers $45.5M in excess of his value and Hammond costing them $19.95M in excess of his value, although that number would be closer to Suppan's if it were adjusted for inflation.

I'll just leave it at yeah, they both really really sucked, although luckily I was only in 7th grade when Hammonds was signed so I don't really remember how awful he was.

sheethead[/b]]I support his release, but are the Brewers any better than they were when I woke up this morning? No.

Well, Smith is Suppan's replacement, so yes the Brewers are better than they were yesterday.

Better?? I'm not sure, but Better Off, Yes. They could not count on Suppan in ANY meaningful situation. He was a wasted roster spot. I'm not expecting the 12th or 13th pitcher on the roster to dominate each time out, but that person should be able to be used and succeed in meaningful situations some of the time. No, I don't count eating innings in a blowout a meaningful situation. If that's your only role then you don't belong on the team. A cleared roster spot will give some of our younger guys a shot. I hope Hoffman is next for the same reasons. I would really like to see Estrada back.

That said, I wish Suppan the best. He seems like a decent guy who was active in the community. It wasn't his fault they paid him a bunch of money. To his credit he excelled on the biggest stage at the right time and got paid for it.

With all the roster moves, I got lost somewhere along the line. I thought the Suppan move corresponds with Riske being activated? How does Smith come into play, doesn't that put them at 26 players on the MLB roster?

bullox[/b]]Melvin brought up an interesting point regarding the free agent class of pitchers the year that Suppan signed his deal.

Taken from McCalvy's blog page:

"It's a fair question. Have any of you done your homework to determine who the free agent players were that year?" he asked reporters before answering himself. "We could have signed Jason Schmidt. He signed for three years and $47 million. Barry Zito was seven years and $126 [million]. Gil Meche was five years and $55 [million]. Miguel Batista, three years and $25 [million]. Jason Marquis, three and $25 [million]. Vicente Padilla, two and $20 [million]. Ted Lilly, at four years and $40 [million], was probably the pitcher who performed the best out of that group. "

I've defended Melvin before, but this is a quote is a bit disappointing. He basically just said that he takes no responisbility for the signing and tried to cite examples of other GMs who also made mistakes. Why couldn't he just say, "At the time of the signing we needed somebody to be a leader in the rotation and be a consistant starter for us. In retrospect, I may have done things differently, at this point we need to move on with somebody that can be more consistant. Jeff is a standup individual and we wish him well."

I guess that's more of a blanket statement and in fairness I didn't read the whole blog to see what question he was asked, but it bothers me that he would cite other signings to defend himself instead of just accepting some criticism.

When i say the headline in jsonline, i stared at it with my mouth open for about 10 seconds, i was in shock, i didn't the Brewers had the guts to do it, Also on jsonline Jeff's statement was very classy and Soups troops will contintue for rest of the season

I am so thrilled that Suppan is finally gone. The nightmare is over. But it still seems way too late. He never should have made the roster this season.

That's basically how I feel, AJAY. It seems like the Brewers hyped up how they were going to make decisions on the staff this year based on ST performance...Suppan had a horrible spring, but still made the team anyway. Just seems like the writing was on the wall, everyone knew it, but all the Brewers management didn't want to face the truth.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Community Moderator
I've defended Melvin before, but this is a quote is a bit disappointing. He basically just said that he takes no responisbility for the signing and tried to cite examples of other GMs who also made mistakes. Why couldn't he just say, "At the time of the signing we needed somebody to be a leader in the rotation and be a consistant starter for us. In retrospect, I may have done things differently, at this point we need to move on with somebody that can be more consistant. Jeff is a standup individual and we wish him well."

Remember, Mark A. was a big player in the Suppan signing. If Melvin openly admits that the signing was misguided, he is basically saying that his boss also screwed up.

Melvin did say that his job continues to be a learning experience--which essentially is a nice way of saying that he made a mistake. I'm sure in private, he realized that he messed up at about the same time that most Brewers fans did.

Pretty soon, Melvin will have to take the blame for something. I mean, Looper is still unemployed, and is clearly better than a couple of our starters this year.

And we're still paying Hall 9 million. Supp has about 10 million left. Hoffman has about 6 million left. 25 million of completely useless contracts.

he could save a little face and trade Prince for Matt Cain!!

Glad to see such a class act.

Cards probably are taking credit for his sportsmanship

Interesting that MA apparently didn't know about the move until after it went public. Did DM not want to play chicken with MA?

This is a move which sorely needed to be made based on Suppan's performance.

That said, I am glad to see that Suppan handled it with class, as he handled most of his other affairs in Milwaukee. He didn't pitch very well while with us, but all told based on his community work and his willingness to give Milwaukee a chance I at least appreciate that he gave us all he had.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

A STL fan I know speculated that STL might try to sign Soup..."he's a typical Dave Duncan project."

I don't even want to think about that, or the reactions around here (and in my head) if this happened and were successful.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

The only way the Brewers would have a chance to catch St. Louis would be if they signed Suppan and used him as the closer. He's done, might as well go back to the restaurant for good.

By the way, what was so classy about Suppan's statement? Not that I expected it, but once again, nowhere did he take responsibility for his poor performance. He did not thank the fans either, though he did 'wish them his best', which we will need after the damage that he's done to the franchise.

It's a sad day in Brewer land when people are jumping up and down with joy that we let a player go in a move that will cost the team around 10 million. I'm not suggesting the move shouldn't have been done rather that i don't get the hatred for him. He didn't do drugs, get caught with another woman , or get arrested after a police chase. Suppan simply looks like he's done. The release itself is fine. Why be mad because he signed a contract? Wouldn't you have done the same? At least he didn't pull an Eric Byrnes and ride off into the sunset on his bicycle. Best of luck to him in the future.

edit-- took out filtered word--pl

Archived