Brewer Fanatic

How much longer for Jeff Suppan? -- Latest: Suppan signs with STL, starts 6/15

Invader3K

http://llenrock.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/party.gif

I actually threw my fist up at work, and let out a victorious "YES!!!!!" two minutes ago when i read this at work. My boss came over to see what the hubub was all about, and when he saw, he did the exact same thing.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the draft coming later this is shaping up to be a happy news day.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Melvin did release this statement about the release of Suppan:

“Jeff has always been a true professional. He gave his best effort to the organization, whether it was on the field or in the community. I am confident that he can return to a starting rotation with another organization. We wish Jeff and his family nothing but the best.”

Haha, fat chance of that happening. Unless KC signs him, because Yost would surely make him a starter.

Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

I can finally get rid of the avatar. Nice.

For whatever reason, I wasn't expecting this today, but it's a nice surprise. Jeff seems like a really good guy and I feel bad about being happy that he's losing his job, but he's getting one hell of a severance package. I hear the Pirates are hiring.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Will never forgive him for knocking us out of the playoffs in a game that Gallardo pitched 3 scoreless innings. First hitter of the game hit a HR and we never had a chance to see Sabathia pitch in game 5.

Gallardo in '08 playoffs: 7 IP, 4 H, 5 BB, 4 K, 0 ER

Suppan in '08 playoffs: 3 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 3 K, 5 ER

Will never forgive him for knocking us out of the playoffs in a game that Gallardo pitched 3 scoreless innings. First hitter of the game hit a HR and we never had a chance to see Sabathia pitch in game 5.

I don't blame him for that. I blame Sveum for that. Everyone knew Suppan was a horrible choice against the Phillies and it made the decision even worse when we knew Gallardo was available when he came in later.

Hawkins has been good for over a decade. I figure he's more likely to improve than Suppan or Hoffman, given his velocity. I'm also not sure we ever saw the real David Riske. So both could help a lot

I would be more excited about this move if his replacement wasn't Chris Smith.

This is entirely correct. What an incredible "who cares" moment. I support his release, but are the Brewers any better than they were when I woke up this morning? No. For those that were insistent that management's desire to keep Suppan on the roster, was keeping other players off, or making the team worse, I give you Chris Smith. They finally released Suppan, but he has not been replaced by a player that was being blocked, or was going to make the team better. Why? Because that player didn't exist. Suppan's presence on the roster yesterday had about as much impact on the team, as his absence does today.

On a less snarky note, I wonder if this puts an end to the Soup's Troops promotion. Though it was beyond time for the release, it would be unfortunate to have that end mid-season.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

[quote name= hawing]I swear to God, as I was reading about this on a laptop in the Union, this song came up on the Rathskeller jukebox:

June 7, 2010: Soup Freedom Day.

Thanks for trying, Jeff.

Ahh, just what I wanted to see.? Freddie Mercury in a short leather skirt.

I don't blame him for that. I blame Sveum for that. Everyone knew Suppan was a horrible choice against the Phillies and it made the decision even worse when we knew Gallardo was available when he came in later.

I still think there was Melvin/Mark A. pressure to start Suppan who they signed to pitch well in the playoffs...if Suppan would have pitched a gem it would have made Melvin/Mark A. not look so bad for signing him. Either way, I dont care about who decided to put him in there, he got the start in the playoffs and completely choked and did not step up at all. What an epic fail to pitch 3 IP of 15.0 ERA ball in a home, elimination playoff game.

In April of '08 he went 7IP, 4 H, 3 BB, 3 K, 1 ER against the Phillies.

Here is what we got for $40+ million:

Jeff Suppan Pitching Stats for Years 2007 to 2010

Year Tm W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
2007-2010 MIL 29 36 .446 5.08 110 97 9 1 0 0 577.0 700 358 326 77 221 26 302 27 1 23 2595 83 1.596 10.9 1.2 3.4 4.7 1.37
Average 7 9 28 24 2 0 0 0 144 175 90 82 19 55 6 76 7 0 6 649
per 162 games 10 12 37 32 3 1 0 0 190 231 118 108 26 73 9 100 9 1 8 854

I'm convinced that Suppan's playoff start was a mandate from Attanasio. I remember the sinking feeling when I found out that he would be starting.
I'm not looking to be a Sveum apologist, and I don't have evidence one way or another, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this were the case.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Here is what we got for $40+ million:

Jeff Suppan Pitching Stats for Years 2007 to 2010

Year Tm W L W-L% ERA G GS GF CG SHO SV IP H R ER HR BB IBB SO HBP BK WP BF ERA+ WHIP H/9 HR/9 BB/9 SO/9 SO/BB
2007-2010 MIL 29 36 .446 5.08 110 97 9 1 0 0 577.0 700 358 326 77 221 26 302 27 1 23 2595 83 1.596 10.9 1.2 3.4 4.7 1.37
Average 7 9

28 24 2 0 0 0 144 175 90 82 19 55 6 76 7 0 6 649

per 162 games 10 12

37 32 3 1 0 0 190 231 118 108 26 73 9 100 9 1 8 854

All of those baserunners, and only one balk. Otherwise . . . pretty grim.

Archived