Brewer Fanatic

How much longer for Jeff Suppan? -- Latest: Suppan signs with STL, starts 6/15

Invader3K

I really hate to feed the trolls on this one, but here's Jeff Suppan so far with the Cardinals:

0-2 record, 4.19 ERA, 19.1 IP over 4 starts, 1.81 WHIP. His peripheral numbers seem to be largely in line with what he was doing in Milwaukee, but you have to wonder if there really was something to the "better defense equals better results" argument. Maybe it's simply that he's averaging less than 5 runs a start and opposing hitters aren't getting a chance to pound him later in his outings.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really hate to feed the trolls on this one, but here's Jeff Suppan so far with the Cardinals:

0-2 record, 4.19 ERA, 19.1 IP over 4 starts, 1.81 WHIP. His peripheral numbers seem to be largely in line with what he was doing in Milwaukee, but you have to wonder if there really was something to the "better defense equals better results" argument. Maybe it's simply that he's averaging less than 5 runs a start and opposing hitters aren't getting a chance to pound him later in his outings.

Absolutely brutal. He's extremely lucky that his ERA is so low- even pitching against mostly poor offenses, and I'm glad that it is because St. Louis will be keeping him around longer. He is going to absolutely fry their bullpen no matter what, and I expect that he will have some typical 'Soup' starts coming down the pike soon.

but you have to wonder if there really was something to the "better defense equals better results" argument

Yeah, there's definitely something to it. An average pitcher on a good defensive team can be above average. An average pitcher on a bad defensive team can be below average. These will be even more extreme for a contact pitcher.

However, Suppan still won't keep up that ERA; even with that good defense. He'll be better than he was in Milwaukee... but he's still far worse than that ERA shows. Plus he's wearing out the bullpen with every start. Gotta love that!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I a way I'm not at all comforatble with I am happy he's still struggling. I'm not happy at his failure as much as knowing it was him not our staff that was the probelm. Even the genious can't make Suppan or Kip Wells so much as serviceable.

All that said I don't like to see someone, who by most accounts was a nice guy, have his career end with such a thud. A part of the territory I guess.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Just watched Suppan get beat up on WGN against the Cubs.

6 IP, 10 H, 5 ER, 3 BB, 0 K, 3 HR.

Oh, I'm sure Soup pitched great. Had a couple of those balls not fell in, had the wind not been blowing out, he would have been just what the Cardinals signed him for.

Clearly, Suppan is working as a double agent behind enemy lines. All part of a brilliant sabotage plan hatched by Doug Melvin.

It is kind of sad to see him in such a helpless situation, but at the same time, I agree with those saying it does feel good (at least a little) to see him struggling elsewhere. I think we can put that "Rick Peterson doomed him" argument to bed.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I know you say it as a joke but everything about Suppan is basically a carbon copy of the past 2 years except his BABIP and LOB%. He is the same lame 5 ERA pitcher he was over the past 3 years, the 6 ERA is mostly just a fluke. The difference between his 'good' year in 2007 and his bad year this year is marginal at best even with an ERA that is almost 1.50 higher.

It is kind of sad to see him in such a helpless situation

makes me wonder if that general 'sorta sad' attitude would be different if Suppan were a batter at the struggling end of his career. a hitter at the tail-end can be benched or platooned, but a pitcher ends up costing the whole team games.

Just in case anyone is using this thread to follow Suppan, it isn't a surprise that Suppan's previous start, a team win against the Dodger's, wasn't posted here. 6 IP, 5 hits, 1 each of ER, BB and SO.

kramnoj]Just in case anyone is using this thread to follow Suppan, it isn't a surprise that Suppan's previous start, a team win against the Dodger's, wasn't posted here. 6 IP, 5 hits, 1 each of ER, BB and SO.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut here and there.

Soup is doing exactly what he was signed for (from a Brewers fan's perspective)- stinking up the joint. Though it's amazing his E.R.A. with the Cards in under 5, his WHIP is 1.8, and he's now walking more guys than he strikes out. Duncan may be a miracle worker, but it would take more than a miracle to make Suppan effective- he should have just retired to spare himself the embarrassment.

Archived