Brewer Fanatic

How much longer for Jeff Suppan? -- Latest: Suppan signs with STL, starts 6/15

Invader3K
Clearly Peterson was affecting Soup from a distance prior to his arrival, as well.
My thoughts exactly. I'd like to see an actual study of the effects of Duncan's coaching conducted, rather than simply say 'hey, this guy sucked somewhere and Duncan fixed him'. J.C. Bradbury did something like that for Leo Mazzone, and argued that pitchers actually did benefit from Mazzone. I never saw the actual study, so I can't really say whether I agree with his findings or not...

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think the Orioles' pitchers' success under Mazzone speaks for itself on that one. You always look like a genius when you've got 3 future HoFers in your starting rotation.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Mazzone ruined as many pitchers as he helped. Well, maybe ruined is too harsh a word, but I think there is something to the idea that heavy handed "my way or the highway" pitching coaches are of questionable value. Great talent, like what Mazzone had in Atlanta and Peterson in Oakland, can be successful despite a coaches teachings. It's what the coach does with fringey types that is truly telling.

Mike Maddux has been successful taking fringe talent and turning it into valuable assets. This year's Baseball Prospectus Annual points out Maddux doesn't try and change a pitcher. He refines what the pitcher brings to the table, may work on another pitch with them like his famous cutter, but mostly is about preparing the pitcher by studying opposing batters.

I think there is some evidence coaches like Peterson and Mazzone may have a positive effect long term on a organization's pitching, but the short term results can be terrible. When Mazzone felt the heat in Baltimore he responded by throwing his pitching staff under the bus. His excuse for the poor pitching results included angry outbursts that he wasn't responsible, his pitchers just weren't any good. Peterson is probably the wrong guy for the current Brewers' pitching staff.

The stats make the start seem better than it really was. The PbP for his start against Oakland:

1st

Rajai Davis flies out to center

Daric Barton singles on a line drive

Daric Barton caught stealing

Conor Jackson grounds out

2nd

Kevin Kouzmanoff singles on a line drive

Ryan Sweeney grounds into force out

Adam Rosales flies out to center

Landon Powell grounds out sharply to first base

3rd

Cliff Pennington singles to center

Trevor Cahill sacrifice bunt

Rajai Davis flies out to right

Daric Barton flies out to center

4th

Conor Jackson strikes out looking

Kevin Kouzmanoff homers to left

Ryan Sweeney singles on line drive to left

Ryan Sweeney out at 2nd, catcher Jason LaRue to first baseman Albert Pujols

Adam Rosales strikes out swinging

5th

Landon Powell doubles to center

Cliff Pennington singles on line drive to right

Trevor Cahill bunts, Pennington out at second

Rajai Davis lines into force out

Suppan wild pitch

Daric Barton walks

Not exactly a dominating effort, and he had the advantage of the A's basically giving him 4 free outs with the bunts and outs on the bases. His location wasn't any better than what we saw in Milwaukee...still way too many fastballs left over the plate:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfxVB/cache/location.php-pitchSel=122987&game=gid_2010_06_20_oakmlb_slnmlb_1&batterX=0&innings=yyyyyyyyy&sp_type=1&s_type=2.gif

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Not too bad. He's improving that's for sure. He'll still get another start.

Say hi to Jeff for me the next time he's at your house for a barbeque. He's not improving, he's the same pitcher he's been the past few years in front of a better defense.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

His WHIP is still off the charts, but I have to give him credit that he made another start and didn't give up any crooked numbers. That will probably change in the near-term, but I hope these first few starts convince the Cardinals to keep him around for the rest of the year.

Come on, what's your deal?
He's a troll from the JS/Sportsbubbler boards. People over there aren't feeding him as much these days, so I guess he's decided to take his act to BF.net.

I hope he gets another 15+ starts. 4 IP will quickly burn out the Cards pen. LaRussa knows Suppan can't go 3x through the order, and is lucky if he gets through it twice without putting the game out of reach. I look forward to every start he makes with the Cards, because he will complete multiple objectives.

1) will burn up plenty of the pen

2) will likely serve up one or more home runs

3) gives the Cardinals an excellent chance of losing the game

I hope they keep trotting him out there. At least we are getting something for that $14.5 million, even if its in the form of a rival team's sabotage.

Archived