Brewer Fanatic

How much longer for Jeff Suppan? -- Latest: Suppan signs with STL, starts 6/15

Invader3K
He's not good enough to play for the team with one of the worst pitching staffs in baseball, but look who's getting the start on Tuesday for the Cards...

Soup to Start

Well, I truly believe he will be horrible, but if he is somehow pretty good for them the rest of the year (sub 4 ERA)...some people will be getting fired and they will deserve it.

Suppan certainly appears to suck, but if coaching is able to turn him around, we need some new ones.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just because of how our season is going, I predict he'll go seven innings, giving up only 2 earned runs on 4 hits and 2 walks. 5 K's.
That just might happen. The Mariners are putrid.

I almost can't believe that the Cardinals are demoting Adam Ottavino to clear room, but then again, I just saw his last team let Manny Parra twiddle his thumbs in the bullpen while watching Soup get lit up in the rotation. It's unbelievable how many young pitchers are being denied chances while more than one club lets him take up starts.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It's unbelievable how many young pitchers are being denied chances while more than one club lets him take up starts.
Maybe it's his star quality. He was in that soap opera once, you know.

More seriously, even if Jeff is effective vs. the Mariners Tuesday, you'd still need to see at least one other start against a less struggling team before declaring him fully fixed/Dave Duncan an alchemist/etc.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Well, I truly believe he will be horrible, but if he is somehow pretty good for them the rest of the year (sub 4 ERA)...some people will be getting fired and they will deserve it.

Either that, or Duncan is a miracle worker worthy of sainthood.

I'm hoping he goes out there tonight and gets shelled. But I have this sick feeling in my stomach that he will come out and be good. At least for his 1st start or two.

It will be hard to judge him off his performance tonight. He's facing the offensively challenged Mariners and he'll have some extra adrenalin. He's also facing an equally awful pitcher in Ryan Rowland-Smith.

What you can be sure of is that if he gets through 5 innings and doesn't allow more than 3 runs which is quite possible, he'll likely leave with a lead and the blowhards in the Cardinal booth will declare that all he needed was to be back under Duncan in a Cardinal uniform and that Brewers were idiots for letting him go. Eventually he'll start facing teams with major league hitters in the lineup and he won't be so fortunate.

Suppan has value, just not the $14.5M in value we are paying him this year including his buyout.

Well, the Brewers decided that he had no value...or, anyway, less than Chris Smith.

Suppan has value, just not the $14.5M in value we are paying him this year including his buyout.

Well, the Brewers decided that he had no value...or, anyway, less than Chris Smith.

Yeah well that was the last mistakes in a string of mistakes they made in regards to Suppan. First signing him. Then this year actually letting him into the rotation ahead of Narveson and Parra. Then letting him pitch the middle innings in a tied game.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

You guys do know that he will look better with the Cardinals, right? There's really no question about it. It's not because Duncan is a miracle worker though... it's because Suppan is a contact pitcher and he isn't nearly as bad as his numbers look this season. Our defense is horrendous, making any contact pitcher worthless to us. The Cardinals have always stressed defense, and are generally very good in that aspect of the game. It is for this reason, and this reason alone that Jeff Suppan will look better with the Cardinals. He will be exactly the same pitcher, with exactly the same peripherals... but his ERA will reflect those peripherals and be in the mid to upper 4's like they should be.

I'm listening to the SEA-STL game (Seattle feed) with a laptop on the couch. I swear I'm not the vindictive sort, but I am wearing a Seattle Pilots cap in rally position.

For those of us in the mood for some Suppan schadenfreude, this Seattle starter is not helping matters.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

This is exactly the kind of thing that needs to happen to make the incompetent Brewers brass wake up. They gave in to fan panic, and the coaches couldn't fix a problem with mechanics. No patience. They never let Suppan start enough games.

Archived