Brewer Fanatic

Roy Halladay pitches a perfect game

adamb100

I remember a few years ago where ESPN did a story on how pitch count and matchups could rule out seeing another no-no again in major league history. That season I believe Burhele pitched his first no hitter. Sure it was just a story to kill a segment, but I'm glad they were proven wrong. I'm jealous of my White Sox/Brewers fan friend that got to see both Burhele's and Verlander's no hitters while I haven't seen any live. Right now I just don't see any Brewer being able to do it, unless Gallardo can somehow throw more strikes than normal.

If a pitcher like Buerhle can throw 2 no hitters someone like Wolf can throw one. What I find interesting is the best pitcher in baseball threw a no hitter for once. Seems like a large number of them have been by pretty mediocre pitchers lately.

I'm guessing motivated, since they returned the favor (sorta) today by shutting out the Phils by that same 1-0 score.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

If a pitcher like Buerhle can throw 2 no hitters someone like Wolf can throw one. What I find interesting is the best pitcher in baseball threw a no hitter for once. Seems like a large number of them have been by pretty mediocre pitchers lately.
I don't think you can really compare Wolf to Buerhle. Buerhle induces a lot of groundballs and has had an above average defense backing him up in his past 2 no-hitters. Wolf has the Brewers backing him up and he is much more of a strikeout/flyball type of pitcher. Sure it is possible, but I think Yovanni is much more likely to do it based on the fact that he is a better pitcher. And don't forget Parra's perfecto in the minors, but those were different times.

Here is a list of the last few no-hit pitchers:

2004-Randy Johnson

2006-Anibel Sanchez

2007-Mark Buehrle

2007-Justin Verlander

2007-Clay Buchholz

2008-Jon Lester

2008-Carlos Zambrano

2009-Jonathan Sanchez

2009-Mark Buehrle

2010-Ubaldo Jimenez

2010-Dallas Braden

2010-Roy Halladay

With the exception of Jonathan Sanchez and Anibel Sanchez because of injuries, I wouldn't call any of those pitchers mediocre. Some of them are still early in their career, but I'd be willing to bet that almost all of them finish their careers with ERAs under 4.00.

Archived