Brewer Fanatic

Alex Gordon

Gordon was demoted by the Royals earlier this season, and is hitting over .370 for AAA Omaha right now. I guess he's been moved to the outfield, but has primarily been a corner infielder in the past. Is this someone Melvin could look at trading for as backup insurance in case he does deal Fielder this season? I know McGehee or Gamel could be the 1B of the future too, but if one gets hurts, it would be nice to have a palatable backup plan.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Its so hard to even know what the Royals are doing. Gordon isn't a good 3B defensively, but he isn't McGehee either. But why he hasn't replaced the crap in the KC outfield right now is unknown. Are they waiting for a DeJesus trade to bring him up?

Well, Podsednik and Bloomquist both are having good seasons, but signing Ankiel was probably kind of dumb to begin with. My point is if they're not going to use Gordon on their MLB roster, maybe Melvin could trade for him. It wouldn't be a big deal to move him back to 1B after Fielder gets dealt. It would make such a move a lot easier actually. Not sure what it would take to acquire him, though.

Edit: Actually, no, Bloomquist is putting up a sub-.600 OPS. So he is not having a good season. Really, their starting outfield at this point should be DeJesus, Podsednik, and Gordon.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'd dangle Gomez for Gordon, and hope he can be our right fielder (or 3b if Gamel fizzles out) for the future. Let Gerut start in CF until Cain is ready.
I'd wouldn't make that deal. Gomez is contributing plenty on offense and his potential for more is still quite high. He could be in CF for the next 5 years. Cain is the RF of the future. He's got the strong arm to play there. The dropoff in CF from Gomez to Gerut is huge.

"if Gamel fizzles out"? He's got to get there first. You're assuming McGehee moves to 1B? That's a huge assumption as if they deal Fielder, the return is likely to be one pitching prospect and one 1B prospect.

The Royals don't really need a CF right now (Podsednik is having a surprisingly good season, not sure of his status for next year off hand).

I would try to trade some of our excess pitching, though I'm not sure who would be realistic.

As far as Gamel, that's part of my whole point. He is looking far from a sure thing at this point. I hope he ends up being the 3B next season (with McGehee moving to 1B), but I certainly don't feel comfortable predicting that at this point. Yes, we could get a 1B prospect in return for Fielder, but I'd rather forgo that and deal for as much pitching as possible. Acquiring Gordon would allow for that.

endaround, I'm just curious why all the negative comments on McGehee at 3b lately. He was known as a strong defender in the minors. Last year he was alright, especially given his bad knee. His knee still isn't 100% and won't be this year, yet from what I've seen he makes every play he can get to. Thus far this season he's been the infielder I've been happiest with defensively, since Prince and Weeks have been awful and Alcides has been very raw.

His knee still isn't 100% and won't be this year, yet from what I've seen he makes every play he can get to. Thus far this season he's been the infielder I've been happiest with defensively, since Prince and Weeks have been awful and Alcides has been very raw.

That is really the problem with McGehee as a defender, the plays he gets to. He has a steady glove but doesn't get to to many balls.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

DHonks]endaround, I'm just curious why all the negative comments on McGehee at 3b lately. He was known as a strong defender in the minors. Last year he was alright, especially given his bad knee. His knee still isn't 100% and won't be this year, yet from what I've seen he makes every play he can get to.
Yeah, I think we're really rushing to this "McGehee is a terrible 3B" conclusion. I throw out last year as he was moved from 2B to 3B, and had that bulky knee that was obviously very bothersome, which leaves me with less than 50 games of data with which to work with.

McGehee doesn't have great range over there, but he's hardly the butcher he's made out to be in my opinion.

As for Alex Gordon, Gordon's exactly the type of player that I want to see Doug Melvin targeting. I understand he's not likely to ever reach the ceiling he once had, but he does still possess the skills that made him one of the premier prospects in all of baseball and if he can conceivably be had for "cheap" I'd jump all over that.

I frankly can't imagine why Corey Hart would interest the Royals at this point, though I couldn't imagine why Jose Guillen of the SS they traded from Seattle who's name escapes me at the moment would interest them either, but I'd be more than willing to dangle him out there. The potential return in such a trade is very high.

Which leads me to my next point about Gamel. I understand Gamel's not a "sure thing" as nobody is until they've proven it at the big league level, I just can't for the life of me understand how those who saw him play last year, even as he was jerked around, aren't very high on the kid. He's got a great swing for a left handed bat, and I believe he ends up being a very good big league hitter and a much needed LH'ed bat to this lineup.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

We'd probably have to give up a lot more to get KC to part with their star ace.

More than the prospects you'd get for Prince Fielder, Eric Arnett, Caleb Gindl and Manny Parra?

I wonder. It'd depend of course. For arguments sake lets say you get Casey Kelly+Lars Anderson.

I don't know how short a package of Kelly+Anderson+Arnett+Gindl+Parra would actually fall in reality.

I think we're really rushing to this "McGehee is a terrible 3B" conclusion

I'm not sure that we are. 3 seasons of data for UZR/150 is considered a reliable sample, and obviously we aren't there yet with Casey. However, his UZR/150 at 3B was around -20.0 last season & that's right about where it is this season. The comment about him making the plays he gets to isn't all that accurate, either. His fielding percentage at 3B in his MLB career is only .930. Even at 3B, that's not exactly special. He has the arm for 3B, he probably has the hands/glove for it, but he just doesn't have the range.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I throw out last year as he was moved from 2B to 3B

What? He played 563 out of 697games at 3B in the minors.

I meant that he was moved back and forth and that he was hurt.

I realize he was a 3rd basemen in the minor leagues where he was considered to be a very good defender.

I think we're really rushing to this "McGehee is a terrible 3B" conclusion

I'm not sure that we are. 3 seasons of data for UZR/150 is considered a reliable sample, and obviously we aren't there yet with Casey. However, his UZR/150 at 3B was around -20.0 last season & that's right about where it is this season. The comment about him making the plays he gets to isn't all that accurate, either. His fielding percentage at 3B in his MLB career is only .930. Even at 3B, that's not exactly special. He has the arm for 3B, he probably has the hands/glove for it, but he just doesn't have the range.

Well, I am. We're not even close to being there, and again, when you factor in that he was playing hurt last year at 3rd base limiting his range severely...McGehee could barely move at times last year.

So we're really talking about less than 50 games into this 3 year sampling to get a reliable amount of evidence. Then when you factor in his minor league scouting reports that are fairly unanimous in their praise for his defensive abilities, and I definitely think we're rushing to said conclusion.

As for his FP%, his Minor League FP% in almost 600 games was about .960 as opposed to the .940 it is this year. .960 isn't great, but it's certainly respectable.

Compare that to Beltre's .956 career FP% and he was awful out of the gate, Scott Rolen's is .964, Zimmerman is .962....just the 3 I picked at random off the top of my head.

So I don't think you can read anything of any value into McGehee's fielding pct in such a sort period of time.

Basically McGehee's got 107 starts at 3rd base in his career so far, and of those 62 came on a knee that severely hampered his mobility.

I'm not saying that McGehee will turn into an elite 3rd basemen defensively, however I'm definitely going to give him more than 45 healthy games at 3rd when he'd always been considered a solid defender over there prior to now.

I throw out last year as he was moved from 2B to 3B

What? He played 563 out of 697games at 3B in the minors.

Yes, obviously he was a 3B in the minors. I was saying, and not very clearly obviously given the sarcastic "what" that he was moved back and forth between 2nd and 3rd last year.

I realize he was a 3rd basemen in the minor leagues where he was considered to be a very good defender.

• 2 weeks later...
Still raking in AAA (OPS over 1.100), and still blocked from getting called up to KC. Boy, I'd love to see us make a deal for him. Would make trading Fielder and/or Hart a lot easier.
Where do you play him though? Would you then trade McGehee? I wouldn't mind a Braun-Gordon-Gamel lineup that would be rather nice. I would definitely put Gamel at 1B then and have Gordon at 3B though I'm not really sure who is the better 3B though.

Maybe a Young and Garza type trade would work out? Parra and Salome/Rivas/Rogers. I would think it would have to be more than that to get Gordon. But I'm pretty sure the Royals would be wanting a pitcher in return and one who would be in their rotation no later than next year. Maybe something like Rivas and Arnett for Gordon?

If you're going to suggest moving Fielder to get that pitching back I don't understand your point of view as you've basically shot down every Fielder for pitching deal anyone has suggested. Trading Fielder would have to come first regardless, no way am I giving up advanced impact pitching without having options to replace that pitching.

Pitchers currently in A+

Wily Peralta
Cody Scarpetta
Mike Fiers

Peralta is the only one of those 3 that can reach the mid 90s and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season. Fiers is a nice pitchability guy, but he's not top of the rotation material at this time. Scarpetta doesn't throw strikes, he's been so ineffective Fiers almost has 20 more IP on the season already. Where's an internal replacement for the talent we'd have to give up in your pitching scenario?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If you're going to suggest moving Fielder to get that pitching back I don't understand your point of view as you've basically shot down every Fielder for pitching deal anyone has suggested. Trading Fielder would have to come first regardless, no way am I giving up advanced impact pitching without having options to replace that pitching.

Peralta is the only one of those 3 that can reach the mid 90s and he hasn't exactly set the world on fire this season. Fiers is a nice pitchability guy, but he's not top of the rotation material at this time. Scarpetta doesn't throw strikes, he's been so ineffective Fiers almost has 20 more IP on the season already. Where's an internal replacement for the talent we'd have to give up in your pitching scenario?

I haven't shot it down because of the players. I have shot them down because the teams don't make sense like the Rays. Only the Angels really don't make sense in regards to Fielder and pitching prospects they just don't have anyone that wows me in regards to stuff. If the teams made sense like the Rays I would be all for some of their A and AA pitchers that they have. The Rays definitely have the prospects to get Fielder it is just that I don't see the Rays having the desire to go after Fielder. I have even suggested trading for some of the Rangers A and AA guys like Font and Reed. You could probably add Martin Perez to that list and that would be a haul and a half for Prince though I don't see the Rangers really doing a deal like that though. Maybe the Brewers could get Colome from the Rays for Hart that maybe a possibility.

Archived