Brewer Fanatic

Gerut to the DL; the re-return of Stern

battlekow

Move is retroactive to May 23.

Macha actually said before the game that they were hoping to avoid putting Gerut on the DL just in case he was ready to come back before the 15 days passed (which seems to be the case with Edmonds at the moment), but I'm going to guess something about today's game changed the minds of the front office.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Stern is really racking up the frequent flyer miles...and yes it would have been nice to have him in the 10th today.
Yeah, he's now played a total of three games on his last two optional

assignments, both of which have been cut short by injuries on the big

club (optional assignments are a minimum of ten days otherwise).

With Edmonds due to return Monday, Stern may want to pack light. It kinda sucks for him, but it is nice to have another body for this weekend series.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

With Edmonds due to return Monday, Stern may want to pack light. It kinda sucks for him, but it is nice to have another body for this weekend series.
I actually think a pitcher will go down when Edmonds is activated on Monday. Staff won't continue to stay at 13.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

While I'm sure he'd like the stays to be longer, I'd bet Stern is happy to spend any time in the bigs he can get. I wondered how long the Brewers would go with basically Counsell and the backup catcher as their bench.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Shouldn't the title read the re-re-return of Stern?
If my callup count is accurate, then "re-return" is OK. Callup #1 was just a callup; callup #2 was the return of Stern; and this one (#3) is the re-return.

Give it time; there may well be a re-re-return opportunity for Adam.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I don't have a great knowledge of the farm system, but isn't there a right handed hitting outfielder in AAA the Brewers could call up instead so the bench isn't so left handed dominant?

I don't have a great knowledge of the farm system, but isn't there a right handed hitting outfielder in AAA the Brewers could call up instead so the bench isn't so left handed dominant?

I've always liked RF Brendan Katin, but I believe he's hurt (or at least has been hurt this season - only 27 ABs so far), and his lack of plate discipline has kept him from being called up in the past. Norris Hopper is a lead-off type guy who I believe we brought over from the Reds. He's got a .273 avg / .320 OBP /.304 SLG / .624 OPS line right now, so he's probably not the best option.

Everyone else in AAA (Drew Anderson, Trent Oeltjen, Adam Stern and Josh Anderson) is left handed. In my opinion, right-haded Lorenzo Cain is going to be playing for the Brewers either this season or next, and he's at AA. If not for injuries, Cain would probably be our starting CF this season, and the Gomez acquisition probably wouldn't have happened. He's currently hitting for a line of .348 avg / .443 OBP / .482 SLG / .925 OPS but I'd guess the Brewers' brass wants to keep him playing everyday, as he's a much bigger part of the future than Adam Stern.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Staff
So does everyone on the 40 man get at least the major league minimum?

From this article:

Members of the 40-man roster. Players sign split major league/minor league contracts once they're added to the 40-man, with their pay rate dictated by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. While those in the big leagues earn at least the minimum of $400,000, those on the minor league side are paid based on their experience. First-year members earn a minimum of $32,500 in the minors, while second- and third-year members earn a minimum of $65,000. However, if a player spends time with the big club in one season, his pay rate the following year must equal at least 60 percent of his total earnings from the year before. Factoring in the higher big league pay rate, a player's minor league salary could be two or three times more than the minimum.

Archived