Brewer Fanatic

Darnell McDonald?

How's his defense? Maybe they could claim him and DFA Gerut or Edmonds.

Well, he started 22 games in CF this year for the Red Sox. His sample size is rather small, but he's played all 3 OF positions in the minors. He did have 4 OF assists. My guess is he's probably below average but serviceable in center and quite adequate in the corners.

He's just ok. Great athlete and good pedigree, but he's below avg defensively in CF, and doesn't have the bat to play the corners. His numbers are aided by a really hot start, after which his production has fallen off considerably. He was tearing up AAA to start the year though, so maybe he's figured something out offensively and can be a serviceable MLB player.

Also, all reports indicate he's a great clubhouse guy. Francona seemed really upset to see him go.

"doesn't have the bat to play the corners"

Brewers need a RH guy to come up late in games and face lefties. That would be his primary role. Seems to me he possesses enough of a bat to fill that role better than Gerut or Edmonds. He did extremely well in that role for Reds last year, hitting .365/.421/.500 vs. southpaws.

He's only a year younger than Gerut, and his AAA stats mirror Jody's big league numbers. Considering 80% of pitchers are RH, his handedness is not exciting enough to motivate me to make a change.

Macha's been handcuffed late in games by lack of RH bats on bench. Opposing managers have had an extremely easy time lining up their lefties forcing Macha to counter with Counsell and Gerut against them. McDonald's raked vs LHP the last 2 seasons at the major league level. His career AAA numbers are skewed by many years of mediocre performance. He picked it up considerably in 2009 and 2010.

It's moot anyway. Sox decided to DFA Scott Atchison instead.

Yeah, but only because Ellsbury is still not completely healthy. I think you'll see him DFA'd within the next few days unless Ells goes back on the DL because the Sox usually carry 13 pitchers.

It seems that you guys are right about him hitting well off lefties (limited SS I'm sure) so he could definitely be a decent platoon option.

Yeah, but only because Ellsbury is still not completely healthy. I think you'll see him DFA'd within the next few days unless Ells goes back on the DL because the Sox usually carry 13 pitchers.

It seems that you guys are right about him hitting well off lefties (limited SS I'm sure) so he could definitely be a decent platoon option.

Lucky for Bill Hall, the Red Sox don't have another extra middle infielder or he'd be a definite DFA candidate.

A guy like McDonald is much more valuable in the NL.

Archived