Brewer Fanatic

Eveland DFA'd

As soon as I am in line for a million $'s I'm sure someone will find all those skeletons and a few I don't even know of. He was handing a kid millions so it was his job to know as much as he could. I tend to view character flaws as something that has warning signs thus something he should have known was a risk.

Two things -- 1) Do you want the Brewers hiring P.I.'s to investigate players? Because if no one tells anyone he smokes, there's no other semi-realistic way I know of to find out

2) Smoking marijuana is no more a character flaw than drinking or smoking cigarettes

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Two things -- 1) Do you want the Brewers hiring P.I.'s to investigate players? Because if no one tells anyone he smokes, there's no other semi-realistic way I know of to find out

2) Smoking marijuana is no more a character flaw than drinking or smoking cigarettes

1- The character flaw is stupidity not smoking pot. He was given a bunch of money to be a pitcher and did one of the few things he absolutely couldn't do if he wanted to do that. It is on the guy who drafted him so high to know what type of person he is. Dude was stupid and Jack is the one who didn't know what he needed to know about him pure and simple. I wholeheartedly agree on how benign pot is. I couldn't careless if anyone partakes if it doesn't effect the team. Hell if it was up to me there would be no testing for recreational drugs. It's none of our business. That has nothing to do with Jack doing his due diligence. Since there is a recreational drug policy and he is subject to it there is a need to vet that out before wasting money and a top 10 pick on him.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Save that its illegal and gets you banned from MiLB...

Serious question -- is an underage alcohol ticket something MiLBers get suspended for?

Serious question -- is an underage alcohol ticket something MiLBers get suspended for?

Doing anything illegal could probably get them suspended. Marijuana will get you arrested and banned. Marijuana is waaaay different that alcohol and tobacco.

If memory serves Lou Palmisano got caught drinking and the team suspended him not the league. Quite honestly I would have more serious concerns with a dude that drank too much than someone who smoked pot once in a while. In each case it's situations in which players need to be vetted out and those with that type of problem should not be drafted high (no pun intended).
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Doing anything illegal could probably get them suspended. Marijuana will get you arrested and banned. Marijuana is waaaay different that alcohol and tobacco.
Actually Marijuan possession in many places will just get you a ticket (I know of guys who got the $147 possession ticket matching the underage drinking tickets we received in college) not arrested or thrown in jail. TLB brings up an interesting question since legal penalties are quite similar.

The Dana Eveland I remember pitched consistently around 92 MPH. The current Eveland has a an average FB velocity of 88.1, no thank you. Honestly I'm still a little bit bitter about how both him and Hendrickson turned out, so I'm biased.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If memory serves Lou Palmisano got caught drinking and the team suspended him not the league. Quite honestly I would have more serious concerns with a dude that drank too much than someone who smoked pot once in a while. In each case it's situations in which players need to be vetted out and those with that type of problem should not be drafted high (no pun intended).
Didn't Palmisano get stabbed while out drinking in Beloit?

selecting a pot head to me represents a lack vetting prospects for off field issues

Wow. No skeletons in your closet that people don't know about? Generally, people like to hide bad habits. And even if he was busted for drugs before, getting the rap sheet on a minor is pretty tough...

My guess is that Jeffress probably picked up his little 'habit' once he got rich overnight. He may have dabbled a bit in H.S., but with the long bus trips, Day's Inns, etc. he probably had a lot of free time and extra cash to get into trouble. Plus when you get rich quick, you tend to have a lot of new 'friends' pounding down your door.

I'd disagree he probably smoked bunch in high school. Usually a person doesn't turn to pot because they got rich but to something more like cocaine or harder, something used for partying and having a good time....something that is the exact opposite affect of weed. My guess is Jeffress eighter just hungout out with a bad group of guys and just felt all the pressure of being the star basketball and baseball player in his town.

Eighter way, I see it as an non issue...doesn't seem to affect the worlds great swimmer, the winner of the last two NL Cy Youngs, almost the whole NBA, super bowl 2009's MVP, and many many many more... If they can play they can play, I rather have them smokin weed than being on harder drugs or having real, much more serious off field issues

Didn't Palmisano get stabbed while out drinking in Beloit?
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/a...p;fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Pitcher Tom Wilhelmsen was suspended last April for the remainder of the

2004 season for violating the Brewers' own alcohol and drug policy, and

he subsequently quit baseball. Several Class A prospects including

promising catcher Lou Palmisano were suspended for four games last

season for an after-curfew incident in which pitcher Greg Kloosterman

was stabbed, and Palmisano later missed more than two weeks in what Ash

termed an "internal" matter.

I know Peavey posted about staying on-topic with Eveland, but I figured answering this question wouldn't hurt

from NBC's Hardball Talk blog:

Dana Eveland got the start for Pittsburgh, his first since coming over from the Jays in a trade. Not a good day for Eveland, as the AP game story makes clear:

General manager Neal Huntington called Eveland an upgrade over what the Pirates already have, but at least one fan wasn't impressed. When Theriot doubled leading off the game, a fan in the nearly empty upper deck yelled to Eveland,

"You'll fit right in here."

Eveland gave up six runs on three hits in five innings. Welcome to Pittsburgh.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gifhttp://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

funniest thing I read all day...

Archived