Brewer Fanatic

Eveland DFA'd

The same guy who twice this season has pitched 7 shutout innings. Had he done that with the Brewers, he would have gotten a 3 year contract. Unlike the Brewers who can't seem to part with struggling pitchers, the Blue Jays don't tolerate 3 bad starts in a row.

I wonder if Melvin looks at picking him up again?

If Melvin thinks Peterson can find a flaw that caused his sudden reversal it might be worth a shot. I'd at least have Peterson look at some Eveland tape. Of course that would mean waiving a certain veteran.

Not interested in the slightest

Only once has his WHIP been at or under 1.83 in his career. He has a career .302BAA and he's a walk machine, thus the base paths are constantly full of baserunners when he's on the mound. Eveland can't even count on being tough on lefthanded hitters given they eat him alive just as badly as righthanded hitters.

The same guy who twice this season has pitched 7 shutout innings. Had he done that with the Brewers, he would have gotten a 3 year contract. Unlike the Brewers who can't seem to part with struggling pitchers, the Blue Jays don't tolerate 3 bad starts in a row.
Eveland is not a good starting pitcher. That's why the Blue Jays got rid of him. He had one average season and it probably took a little luck to do even that. Two good starts means nothing compared to that.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

If we lost Loe or Capuano in AAA due to promotion or granting FA, I'd give him a shot at AAA. Lefties always get more shots...

Familiarity is part of it, sure, but mainly because we remember what he did in our minor league system.

Probably should be noted that Melvin traded him at the height of his trade-ability...

If we lost Loe or Capuano in AAA due to promotion or granting FA, I'd give him a shot at AAA. Lefties always get more shots...

No kidding lefties always get more shots and the Brewers seem to be a collecting point for soft tossing lefties. Usually I'm all for it but in this case maybe not so much. He always seemed kind of lazy to me.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

How in the world did the Brewers go from a pitching staff of hard hurlers with injury concerns to a bunch of soft tossers that have control problems? It took less than 5 years to overhaul the pitching staff. I wish at least one of those flame throwers would have panned out.

I think you answered your own question GM. They lost a lot of hard throwers, who are coveted and had to replace them with sort tossers who are not.

So what is the fastest way to fix this problem? Since I started watching baseball again after the strike (about 2000) the Crew have been awful at evaluating pitching prospects.

Interesting question. I am by no means an expert on it but to me some of it was pure bad luck, some of it was Jack Z. not being very good at selecting pitching prospects (selecting a pot head to me represents a lack vetting prospects for off field issues), some of it probably was how the organization handled the pitchers. I think the Brewers have addressed the last issue ending in part with the hiring of Peterson in that his hiring was a part of the overall approach Melvin has adopted with the pitching philosophy within organization. Jack Z is no longer here so we kind of have to wait to see if that changes. The luck factor is out of anyone's control but that sort of thing tends to even out over time.

For the most part I like Melvin's decision making. However, all these soft tossers are clearly not going to be the answer for the franchise. Also, I am not confident that Macha can handle a pitching staff. Most of his success was when he had 3 established starting pitchers that could go deep in games. Surprising how a lot of (bullpen) issues disappear if a starter can get through 7 or 8 full innings consistently.

How in the world did the Brewers go from a pitching staff of hard hurlers with injury concerns to a bunch of soft tossers that have control problems? It took less than 5 years to overhaul the pitching staff. I wish at least one of those flame throwers would have panned out.

Who? Sheets? I remember trotting out Victor Santos, Ohka, Capuano, Davis, Obermueller. None of those guys were hard throwers with injury concerns, most were soft tossers with control issues. They were .500 that year too.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

selecting a pot head to me represents a lack vetting prospects for off field issues

Wow. No skeletons in your closet that people don't know about? Generally, people like to hide bad habits. And even if he was busted for drugs before, getting the rap sheet on a minor is pretty tough...

selecting a pot head to me represents a lack vetting prospects for off field issues

Wow. No skeletons in your closet that people don't know about? Generally, people like to hide bad habits. And even if he was busted for drugs before, getting the rap sheet on a minor is pretty tough...

My guess is that Jeffress probably picked up his little 'habit' once he got rich overnight. He may have dabbled a bit in H.S., but with the long bus trips, Day's Inns, etc. he probably had a lot of free time and extra cash to get into trouble. Plus when you get rich quick, you tend to have a lot of new 'friends' pounding down your door.

Personally, I have more of a problem with Melvin and co. not 'vetting' Eric Gagne, who showed up on the Mitchell report about 4 days after he was signed. It's not like his name was completely out of the blue either, because there had been talk for a long time that he was a juicer. Had he waited a week, Melvin probably could have saved $5 million or pursued another player.

As soon as I am in line for a million $'s I'm sure someone will find all those skeletons and a few I don't even know of. He was handing a kid millions so it was his job to know as much as he could. I tend to view character flaws as something that has warning signs thus something he should have known was a risk. It isn't all that tough to find out what kind of people he's hanging with or if he had any trouble as a youth. If he was perfectly clean and then got into trouble once he became rich then perhaps I'll cut him some slack but after seeing most of the rest of his pitching prospects flame for varying reasons I just don't think he was very good at it.

Personally, I have more of a problem with Melvin and co. not 'vetting' Eric Gagne, who showed up on the Mitchell report about 4 days after he was signed.

I think Melvin knew but didn't care which is different than not knowing. He went on what Gagne did in Texas the year before he got here which was not a steroid based result. Overall I think everyone agrees Melvin screwed up on that one but he hasn't had nearly as dismal a record with acquiring pitching as Jack did with drafting pitching.

Archived