Brewer Fanatic

Jose Lima, 37, Passes Away after Suffering Heart Attack

Funketown

I loved the gestures and the pomposity and the humor of the guy. He was a fun guy to watch, and it's a shame that he's gone.

His B-R.com bio lists him at 6'2" and 170 lb., which seems like a silly number. I can't imagine when he would have ever been 170. Unfortunately, with the bad skin, and the era that he played in and Caminiti and Bagwell and the early death, there will be whispers.

I found it pretty surprising that Mesa won like 25% of his career games the year that he won 21, it seems as though he was around forever (though I always confused him with Jose Mesa). I was wondering if he held some kind of obscure record highest % of career wins by a 20 game winner in that season. I thought of a few other guys like Fidrych, but he only won 19. Herb Score was another one that I though of, and fits the bill though, winning 20 of his 55 career wins in 1956. I wonder if any other 20 game winner had a higher % of their career wins in the career season.

(though I always confused him with Jose Mesa).
I could never confuse anyone with Jose Mesa. Seeing him give up Yount's 3000th hit in person while I was a pre-teen tends to have that effect.

Loved Lima's personality and what he brought to the game. Such a shame that he was taken from us so soon. Hopefully his family is recovering well.

Lime was a nice guy, during BP on days he wasnt pitching he would hang out in the outfield and always come and sign autographs for kids and talk to the fans. I remember him actually coming over to me and my brothers down the left field line in county stadium (where we were trying to get balls during BP) and ask if anyone wanted an autograph. He then talked to us a little bit about pitching and gave a little speech about how he always would look in the on deck circle to decide if he would rather face the current hitter or the next guy. I remember him saying something like if Tony Gwynn is up and you know you can get the next guy out dont throw any strikes, and then told us to come to the game he was pitching so we wouldnt miss LimaTime.

Archived