Brewer Fanatic

Seth McClung

If he'd take a cheap deal I'd be for it at this point.

Doesn't he not get along with Ken Macha though?

I believe in an interview he did after the season with Right Field Bleachers he said some not nice things about Macha. It sure sounded like they did not see eye to eye.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Get it done. Replace Vargas/Suppan with McClung/Capuano. The issue with Macha won't be an issue anyway, because Ken will most likely be gone this week. I like the two new arms in the bullpen, and with Seth, they'd have another one.

Get it done. Replace Vargas/Suppan with McClung/Capuano. The issue with Macha won't be an issue anyway, because Ken will most likely be gone this week. I like the two new arms in the bullpen, and with Seth, they'd have another one.

Why do you want to replace one soft tosser (Suppan) with another (Capuano)? and one failed reliever in Vargas with another in McClung? The future is here now and it's named Estrada, Braddock and Axford.

Why do you want to replace one soft tosser (Suppan) with another (Capuano)?
Because Capuano has a chance of getting someone out.
Really, sentiment aside, it was thought Davis had a chance of getting people out too. Capuano was struggling before he got hurt and that was 2007. It's 2010. If they're completely out of it on August 1st, and you want to take a look at Capuano for a couple months that's fine. Personally, I'd rather take long looks at guys like Estrada and Rivas, than another recycled soft tosser but I can see giving Capuano an opportunity since they've invested this much time in waiting on him to recover. My point is they have guys up now to replace Suppan.

Capuano for Davis down the road. Yeah, that makes some sense.

Because Capuano has a chance of getting someone out.
Really, sentiment aside, it was thought Davis had a chance of getting people out too. Capuano was struggling before he got hurt and that was 2007. It's 2010. If they're completely out of it on August 1st, and you want to take a look at Capuano for a couple months that's fine. Personally, I'd rather take long looks at guys like Estrada and Rivas, than another recycled soft tosser but I can see giving Capuano an opportunity since they've invested this much time in waiting on him to recover. My point is they have guys up now to replace Suppan.

Capuano for Davis down the road. Yeah, that makes some sense.

A couple problems with this statement in my opinion.

First, Capuano wasn't pitching poorly in 2007. He had an X-FIP better than his 18 win season, nearly 8 K's per 9, 3.42 K/BB ratio, a superior Ground Ball pct and a lower LD pct.

Capuano's problem in 2007 was bad luck, a .342 BABIP and poor defense.

And almost the exact same thing holds true for Doug Davis this year. Davis has actually improved in nearly every peripheral, LD%, GB%, K's per 9...across the board Davis has been the same pitchers. EXCEPT a .415 BABIP, and poor defense behind him.

I'm fine going back to 2007 and giving both the ball every 5th day for the time being(when Davis returns) rather than rush Rivas in any way. I'd prefer to keep him down in AA for another year, and then start him(at the very least) in AAA next year.

I don't think we've got anything to gain and only something to lose by rushing up our first legitimate starting pitching prospect from this new deep crop. Wait another year. By that time who knows where you are with Rogers, Jeffress, Periard, Lofgren and a handful of impressive looking relievers.

But if nothing else Davis and Capuano give us the luxury of treating them with kid gloves for another season at least...

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived