Brewer Fanatic

2010-05-22 Brewers (Gallardo) at Twins (Slowey), 3:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 8-7, 12 innings]

Michael Corleone: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In losses this month the Brewwers have scored:

0, 3, 2, 3, 2, 5, 6, 2, 3, 4, 4, 3

Even with really good pitching they probably lose 8 or 9 of those 12 anyway.

Let's quit pointing fingers at this portion or that of the team. It's just a bad baseball team all the way around any way you cut it right now.

So we've run through three pitchers in this inning why? This type of managing is exactly why our bullpen is fried.

Estrada looked bad and was clearly struggling to get an out before he just barely escaped a 3 run homer by Cuddyer. He threw 21 pitches. Stetter came in for a situational at bat against a lefty and threw 6 pitches before they brought in Coffey. I think each move made sense, and none will hamper the ability to use these pitchers in tomorrows game if needed.

I don't understand the use of Estrada today unless they figure Axford can give them multiple innings again tomorrow after Parra finishes off 5 innings.

Well Axford is warming up, so I doubt that's the plan. I don't think Macha has a plan at this point.

I don't understand the use of Estrada today unless they figure Axford can give them multiple innings again tomorrow after Parra finishes off 5 innings.

Well Axford is warming up, so I doubt that's the plan. I don't think Macha has a plan at this point.

I wonder if Melvin has a plan?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I wonder if Melvin has a plan?
I hope it involves Ken heading back to Pittsburgh on Monday.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

Verified Member
I hope it doesn't involve listening to the part of the fanbase that wants more bunting and is upset that he doesn't talk loud enough in postgame interviews.
Formerly AKA Pete

I think the main move I question is the use of Estrada. He was brought up exclusively as a handcuff for Parra while Parra is stretched out, yet Macha uses him today. I get the thinking behind it being that he pitched very well in Cincy and could keep us in the game, but then Estrada is struggling so now we've had to use three other pitchers today. Over the course of the year moves like that are how the bullpen gets burned out.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Verified Member
Was he brought up as something to do with Parra? Should Macha have anticipated him not doing well? It sounds like you think they should write off the game because they were behind by 3 runs.
Formerly AKA Pete

Was he brought up as something to do with Parra? Should Macha have anticipated him not doing well? It sounds like you think they should write off the game because they were behind by 3 runs.
On Tuesday when Parra started they called up Estrada specifically to piggyback with Parra since he is no longer stretched out. Most would assume that piggybacking scenario would have been the case for tomorrow as well. It is quite possible that Estrada can still pitch tomorrow, but it is just something to ponder based on how the scenario set up.

There have been several times this year Macha has needlessly run through pitchers. Granted this time it didn't lead to those guys throwing double digit pitches, but over the course of a season it will and that is how bullpens get burned out. A lot of other managers do it too, I was just pointing it out, especially in light of the Estrada situation.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived