Brewer Fanatic

Zaun to the DL; Lucroy called up -- Latest: Season-ending surgery

battlekow

The LuCroy situation is actually fine with me. This is ONE case where I'm somewhat alright with a young guy coming up and not playing everyday. In pretty much every other situation and position I'd like to see your young player getting the starts, but with a catcher I almost equate it to a QB. I think it can help to watch and learn for a while at the big league level.

As for Salome, he's actually not catching anymore? I haven't heard this. That seems.....asinine to say the least. I don't know if that's his decision or the organizations, but either way, you pretty much just went from a potential starter at the big league level to a slow, slight hitting RF'er.

I cannot fathom why they would do this.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please explain to me how Lucroy, not LuCroy, becomes a better player riding the bench? We've already burnt up a year of Gamel for cheap on nothing, why should we do the same with Lucroy? From both a development and value to the organization standpoint it makes no sense for prospects to ride the MLB bench. When these guys are walking a year sooner than they otherwise should have then we'll be back to complaining about wasting service time on the bench.

Other than production nothing is more important to a small market team than service time, we need to make the most of those 3 very cheap pre arby years.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Please explain to me how Kottaras keeps getting all of the playing time when he is a 100% defensive liability. Can't block a ball, can't throw any harder than me (33 y/o "big" guy) and can't frame one single pitch during a game. Seriously, I hate to say it but I miss Jason Kendall's defense...which wasn't even that good!
@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

They basically admitted Lucroy wasn't ready yet when they called him up. They could just as well call up Maldonado or someone to ride the bench all year, if that's what they want. I realize they'd have to open up a roster spot for that, but they've magically come up with all these other DL stints to accommodate such moves.

Lucroy could be our future at catcher, and there is no excuse for him to not get regular playing time somewhere, whether at MLB or AAA or AA or rookie ball.

It is a shame to hear about Zaun, though. He was putting together a pretty decent season, and now his career may be done.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

TheCrew, what's funny is that Melvin often quotes Ned, while I've never heard him reference Macha. Insteresting that the Royals are over .500 with Ned's enthusiasm, while the Brewers are well below .500 in that time. While we sometimes overstate the value of a manager, it makes me think of my job as HS girls golf coach. I was disappointed in the State qualifier last year that most of the girls got nervous still when I watched. An Athletic Director from a rival HS smiled and said, "Doug, you're a girls' golf coach. You already did half your job today--you got them to the course on time. If you get them home AND anybody is looking for advice/aid during the round, then you're up for coach of the year."

Perhaps players in the majors need a manager who stands up for them, has some discipline, and supports them. I don't think Macha excels in any of those.

Perhaps players in the majors need a manager who stands up for them, has some discipline, and supports them. I don't think Macha excels in any of those.

Doug, I nominate that for post of the year.

You'd be amazed at how motivated people become when they have a manager that stands up for them (and how demotivated they become when they have the opposite). And that my friends cannot be quantified by statistics.

I think we could trade for a guy who holds a perfect BA in the majors for a pretty cheap price, Carlos Corporan! If Kottrasd as still hitting the crap out of the ball I could handle Lucroy not playing much but he isn't. Lucroy has prove that he hasn't been over matched at the plate and yeah his defense isn't ready yet but for the love of god get him out their to let him get there. It really sucks that Zaun will not be able to work with him and help him out once he leaves for his surgery. Its also disappointing that the one pitcher who he was paired with that actually worked with him during the game and helped him out is no longer his PIC (partner in crime). They in all ways are just leaving him out to dry, it is sad to see. Here we got our first true home grown catching prospect that has made it and we are doing everything possible to make sure he fails like all others since Mike Matheny. (Maybe their is a Matheny Brewer Catcher curse... ha)

I also think Captain Lou is playing independent ball, mid as all sign him if they just want a back up catcher who they don't want to play. Plus I need some Capt. Lou closure for my man crush gone sour...

Doug, I nominate that for post of the year.

You'd be amazed at how motivated people become when they have a manager that stands up for them (and how demotivated they become when they have the opposite). And that my friends cannot be quantified by statistics.

Agreed, I have said in some past comments that as much as we hated on Yost since he has been gone we have really noticed how good we actually had it. He was great, he motivated his players, stood up for them (it was almost annoying because someone could have 50 errors and he would still take all the heat for it), but most importantly he worked with the young players. He knew how to connect, develop and handle the young kids. Macha struggles there...plus win or loss it seems like Macha is really choked up and about to cry in his press conferences, it may be me or he just has social anxiety or something

Kottoras's defense is really bad.

Hitting a cool .200 now........has done a nice job of walking but he doesn't look like a long term answer behind the plate.

Have to agree markedman5. The more Kottaras plays, the more he is exposed. He's got a good eye at the plate and some power. But he's also a career .239 AAA hitter and was waived at age 26 by Boston. If Lucroy isn't ready, they need to find a catcher somewhere.

Here's where I pile on Melvin. Miguel Olivo was available in FA and I was advocating signing him instead of Zaun. Granted it's Colorado, but he's currently hitting .315/.389/.555, and he's thrown out 53% of base stealers.

TheCrew07's sig says it all. Macha needs to go, and not because of any results this season. A team like the Brewers is going to need a manager that is willing to play young players, and isn't going to play favorites.

I am all for firing Macha, but I think this situation is a reason why Melvin should be fired. Lucroy for whatever reason, is not ready to catch MLB pitching. I can understand that the Brewers got put in a jam with Zaun's injury, however it became rather clear quickly, that would need another Zaun type catcher to get us through the year. Why Lucroy is rotting on the Brewers bench is beyond me.

They seem to have no plan whatsoever for Lucroy right now.

Agreed. Which is more on Melvin than Macha.

Agreed, I have said in some past comments that as much as we hated on Yost since he has been gone we have really noticed how good we actually had it.

Yost was never a good manager or the answer. I think Yost would have us in a worse spot than Macha does with this team, and terrible bullpen.

The more Kottaras plays, the more he is exposed.

Agreed, he is a very poor defensive catcher, and his hitting success has been driven by a really high HR rate, and BB rate. I think he would be a great back-up, and I certainly have enjoyed watching him hit, but Kottaras isn't an everyday catcher.

Miguel Olivo was available in FA and I was advocating signing him instead of Zaun. Granted it's Colorado, but he's currently hitting .315/.389/.555, and he's thrown out 53% of base stealers.

That was a good call on your part. We really need someone like him right now, to get Lucroy back to AAA, and shore up our defense.

everyone knew It was George bat that got him to the Big leagues,and we knew his defense was bad. It time to give Lurcoy time behind the plate and i don't care if Wolf has issues with him to bad cause randy has been another bust of a signing.

I think (hope, pray, whatever) that the only reason Lucroy has been up for so long is that there was absolutely no flexibility on the 40-man to add another catcher. Now that we've finally gotten rid of Suppan and can get Zaun off the 40-man, we should be able to add another catcher to the 40-man and get Lucroy back to AAA where he should be.

It is sad to watch everybody run at will against the Brewers, knowing that Kottaras has no chance at throwing them out. It's sad watching so many "catchable" or "blockable" pitches get by Kottaras that end up scoring runs. That said, this year is done & gone, so we might as well let Kottaras get a lot of starts to give him some experience, so he can be a better backup to Lucroy for the next few years. However, Lucroy cannot continue to sit the bench, so we need to bring in someone else, whether it's a trade or we bring up one of our scrub minor leaguers to ride the pine at the MLB level.

If, for some reason, Lucroy remains a Milwaukee Brewer, than he needs to at the very least get 2/5 of the starts, and probably should get the majority of the starts in the near future. If the excuse for not starting him is that he's not ready defensively, then Macha and Melvin need to start watching Kottaras play.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Those quoting his .200 BA fail to mention his .814 OPS. I know he has been used batting 2nd, but why not leave him there??? I'd like to see his BA rise, but that isn't the problem here. Its his defense that is his main issue.

Plus, I'm shocked and disappointed that no one has pointed out his 3TO potential so far. He is at .544 on the year... http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Macha hasn't decided how he'll pair Lucroy just yet, but it probably

won't be with Yovani Gallardo or Manny Parra,

pitchers with sharp breaking balls.

Really Macha? Cause from what I have seen Kottaras kind of sucks at blocking balls.

I really don't have much of a problem as long as Lucroy gets at least

40% of the starts. I would prefer he get over half. I really think he

should be working with Wolf and Gallardo though since all 3 seem like

they will be part of this team's future. Gallardo and Lucroy for quite a

few years.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Zaun is just another botched FA by Melvin. I stated repeatedly last season which catcher the Brewers needed to sign. Henry Blanco. He signed for just $750 K again this year, remains outstanding defensively, and is continuing his recent trend as an improved hitter. He has an 857 OPS this year, and his defensive dominance would have made a huge difference propping up our pathetic pitching staff, and we wouldn't be stuck with a buyout if we didn't want him back next year.

Seriously, this guy should sue for age discrimination.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Macha hasn't decided how he'll pair Lucroy just yet, but it probably

won't be with Yovani Gallardo or Manny Parra,

pitchers with sharp breaking balls.

Really Macha? Cause from what I have seen Kottaras kind of sucks at blocking balls.
Well, doesn't look like that held up for long, unless the lineup changes before the game. Right now Lucroy is in there with Parra.

Unless Kottaras is nursing an injury, it appears that Lucroy is now our starting catcher. I had to wonder how long they'd let him sit with Kottaras playing such poor defense in front of him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived