Brewer Fanatic

Zaun to the DL; Lucroy called up -- Latest: Season-ending surgery

battlekow
That's a tough break for Zaun. I'm glad they kept Kottaras over Treanor or we'd be much worse off. At minimum hopefully they can pair Lucroy with Wolf and get him a third start every second turn through the rotation, leaving Kottaras to start 7 out of every 10. I'd like to see them do what they had planned with Zaun/Kottaras which was a 6/4 split, but somehow I don't see that happening with Macha at the helm.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, that's really disappointing. As much flack as he took, the guy was pretty productive over the course of his 30-some games as a Brewer. I'm just happy we've got Kottaras and Lucroy, both of whom look like pretty good players up to this point.

Torn labrum on a check swing...talk about your bad luck. That's almost as unfortunate as Corey Koskie's concussion.

I'm a little worried about Lucroy not getting enough playing time, though -- catcher is a position where you really can't learn without actually playing, and I'm just not confident that Macha will trust him enough to give him more than a start a week. Hopefully I'm wrong.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

MLBTradeRumors has some Doug Melvin quotes regarding standing pat vs trading for a Pierzynski:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/brewers-set-at-catcher-for-now-open-to-options.html

Also in that article, first time I've heard this news:

"Haudricourt notes that Brewers catching prospect Angel Salome has left Triple A Nashville for mental health reasons."

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

With the way this team has started throughout the first two months I don't see why its not a 60/40 split. You might as well let the rookie struggle on a team that's not contending instead of picking up another washed up catcher to run out there.

craigharmann[/b]]Let Lucroy take his lumps. No need for Pierzynski. Kotteras is good to serve as the backup. Problem is, Melvin will probably have them switched around.
After the Gamel fiasco last year, I have zero confidence that Lucroy will get more than one or two starts per week.

"Haudricourt notes that Brewers catching prospect Angel Salome has left Triple A Nashville for mental health reasons."

Ya, that's been announced before. He left for the birth of a child and then took time off immediately after. Ash recently said it's literally a day-to-day issue and they couldn't discuss details for confidentiality issues.

MLBTradeRumors has some Doug Melvin quotes regarding standing pat vs trading for a Pierzynski:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/05/brewers-set-at-catcher-for-now-open-to-options.html

Unless this is something new, Salome has been on a leave of absence since late April, I believe.

Hopefully he can get everything figured out; he has always been one of my favorite prospects for the crew.

I'd rather go with Kottaras and try and find some Mike Rivera type to play every 4/5 days. Lucroy needs to be in Nashville until September. He could use a full season in AAA and there is no use burning his service time if he truly is as good as we hope. He's probably not there yet and this team is a long shot at best.

Tough break for Zaun...he was really starting to hit and was a better defensive option than Kottaras.

Torn labrum on a check swing...talk about your bad luck. That's almost as unfortunate as Corey Koskie's concussion.

I'm a little worried about Lucroy not getting enough playing time, though -- catcher is a position where you really can't learn without actually playing, and I'm just not confident that Macha will trust him enough to give him more than a start a week. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Said it all for me, crewcrazy. It's amazing to me how many guys get their big shot at another guy's expense when it comes to injuries. Let the Lucroy era begin! To be fair to Macha, the catcher spot is probably the only area of roster management for which I'd give him an A grade on the season. If he keeps the playing time split like he was with Zaun & Kottaras, I'll be happy. Because, man -- George has been phenomenal so far.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I agree that Macha will probably be fine in his handling of the catcher's spot. He seemed to be starting Kottaras at an adequate rate when Zaun was around. I think he'll do the same with Lucroy. People need to quit bringing up the Gamel issue from last season, as it doesn't have any correlation.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I think it's a relevant concern, Invader. But like I posted I feel much better about this situation, since Macha's been good with the catchers. Time will tell if he actually has patience with another top prospect (like if Lucroy struggles a bit), or if he's going to make Jon 'prove' himself in the manager's eyes.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

too bad for Zaun. Always like the guy and the way he played. He was having a good year too, something the Brewers haven't seen from a catcher in a long while.

There's nothing wrong with Lucroy and Kottaras as the catchers for the rest of they. fwiw, very few catchers come up to the bigs and are instantly made the everyday catcher. It's different with that position from say, playing 3B. I have no problem with Lucroy catching once or twice a week to start. If he earns more playing time, so be it. If Kottaras continues to play then the Brewers have a pleasant dilemma on their hands.

Zaun's signing was another head scratcher in the first place, especially coming after they picked up Kottaras and before they waived Rivera. I'm still not sure why they thought it was a good idea to bring in a 39 year old as anything more than a guy who split time equally. When they said he would catch around 100 or 110 games, I thought they were nuts especially since it's only been a few years since they witnessed Damian Miller break down at age 37.

There were other, younger guys out there that signed for close to what they gave Zaun. Look at what John Buck is doing for Toronto. He signed a one year deal for $2 million. He doesn't turn 30 until July.

Archived