Brewer Fanatic

Zaun to the DL; Lucroy called up -- Latest: Season-ending surgery

battlekow
Community Moderator

Now Zaun is being paid on the DL. This is not an unexpected development when you play a 39 year old as your regular catcher.

He hurt himself on a swing, not anything to do with him playing catcher.

couldn't they just as well have gotten similar production with a Rivera/Kottaras combo

Considering that Rivera was pretty awful last year while Zaun has been really good offensively at the catcher position, I'd say most definitely no. Not to mention that the only offer Rivera got after being released by NY was to play in double A.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's also the possibility Zaun could be flipped to a contending team after mid-June for a prospect. Then, in essence, the Brewers would have purchased a prospect for whatever they'd paid Zaun to that point.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

While Zaun hasn't performed poorly after the first week, his signing was really unnecessary. I can understand holding Lucroy back a couple months in AAA, but couldn't they just as well have gotten similar production with a Rivera/Kottaras combo until then and saved more than $1 million? Yes there's a bit of hindsight now that we've seen Kottaras, but isn't that what Melvin is getting paid to see ahead of time?

Now Zaun is being paid on the DL. This is not an unexpected development when you play a 39 year old as your regular catcher.

I just think its important that we remember the price Melvin paid for Zaun's services, $1.9MM this year and $2.25 next year on a club option with a $.25MM buyout. Even the most bearish playing time projection for Zaun would probably have been about 60 games this year, which would assume one or both of Kottaras tearing the cover off the ball and Lucroy quickly developing. Zaun's not a world beater by any stretch, but he is a consistent veteran catcher that can be counted on to put up decent numbers.

Verified Member
So who goes for ZB? I'm saying Vargas to DL. No way they actually man up and waive Soup

Braddock isn't on the 40 man, so Vargas to the DL wouldn't be enough. Someone has to get removed from the 40 man.

Verified Member
I'm just afraid that the Zaun injury threw a monkey wrench in the plans to call up Braddock. TH and McCalvy both indicate that it is being considered, not a done deal.

Yeah, I doubt they were expecting to have to add Lucroy to the 40 man roster. Now they'd have to make another move on the 40 man to call Braddock up. Not sure if they are willing to do that just yet.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator

Please please please let the move be to DFA Suppan

Suppan has a 1.29 ERA as a reliever so far in 6 appearances- rightly or wrongly, I'm sure he'll have to fail in his new role before they outright release him.

I count Soup with 8 appearances and a 3.75 ERA. 14 hits in 12 ip, 4 BB and 8K's. Peavy I think you aren't looking at his two relief appearances in April. So, his ERA is down in his last 6 appearances (1.29), but he's also walk 4 and only K'ed 3 in those 7 innings. I'm not sold that he's any different as a reliever than as a starter.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but Lucroy's numbers in AAA are awful. It is a small sample size and I'm not saying he's not going to be a good player, but we call up a guy hitting .244 with a terrible OPS and OBP and this is supposed to make us better? He hasn't adjusted to AAA so why would anyone think he's going to adjust to MLB? He's also walked THREE times. It's one thing if you guys are just excited to see him play, but does anyone think he's better than Zaun right now? Because I sure don't. We're a lot worse at catcher than we were 24 hours ago.

It's a 3-game series in an AL park so they have the DH. Not as much of a need for pinch hitters when you have a DH. I think they can get by with a short bench for three games and carry an extra pitcher.

On a slightly unrelated note, I hope that Fielder, Braun, and McGehee rotate the DH duties to get a bit more rest.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer but Lucroy's numbers in AAA are awful. It is a small sample size and I'm not saying he's not going to be a good player, but we call up a guy hitting .244 with a terrible OPS and OBP and this is supposed to make us better? He hasn't adjusted to AAA so why would anyone think he's going to adjust to MLB? He's also walked THREE times. It's one thing if you guys are just excited to see him play, but does anyone think he's better than Zaun right now? Because I sure don't. We're a lot worse at catcher than we were 24 hours ago.
Since Zaun is injured and unable to play, then yes, I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that we are better with Lucroy than Zaun right now. When Zaun is healthy, I agree that we will be better off sending Lucroy back to AAA for more "seasoning." It will probably be good for Lucroy to get a taste of MLB now. Then, when he's ready (later this season or next year), he won't be quite as starstruck.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I count Soup with 8 appearances and a 3.75 ERA. 14 hits in 12 ip, 4 BB and 8K's. Peavy I think you aren't looking at his two relief appearances in April. So, his ERA is down in his last 6 appearances (1.29), but he's also walk 4 and only K'ed 3 in those 7 innings. I'm not sold that he's any different as a reliever than as a starter.
The difference is that as a reliever he doesn't have to face a line-up several times. He's still capable of getting guys out in short doses. I'm ok with Soup in the bully for now in a long relief role.

Community Moderator

Peavy I think you aren't looking at his two relief appearances in April.

Whoops, you're correct. I saw the 4 inning appearance in late April and assumed he was still starting at that point. Still, my point remains. I don't think he'll be going anywhere until he proves he can't cut it as a reliever.

we call up a guy hitting .244 with a terrible OPS and OBP and this is supposed to make us better?

I don't think a single person in this thread has made that claim, honestly.

Honestly, I'm torn. I'm excited to see Lucroy in a Brewers uniform, but at the same time I think it may be a couple months too soon.

Whoops, you're correct. I saw the 4 inning appearance in late April and assumed he was still starting at that point. Still, my point remains. I don't think he'll be going anywhere until he proves he can't cut it as a reliever.

Plus he can start if things with Davis get any more difficult.

Also, Vargas and Hoffman are worse pitchers at this point.

Actually, Vargas has had two bad outings, his 2nd appearance on the 4/12 and his last appearance on 5/15. In the 12 appearances between that time he threw 13.2 innings, 6 BB, 14K's, 1HR. Last Saturday's outing was horrendous, but I'm not sure he's ready for the DFA pile yet.

Archived