Brewer Fanatic

Zaun to the DL; Lucroy called up -- Latest: Season-ending surgery

battlekow
I'm not too worried about it, he will get a decent amount of time and it should be a short stay. It is not like George Kotteras is absolutely tearing it up right now. last year with Gamel, They had Billy Hall there and McGehee was really getting into a groove.

McGehee was playing 2b at the time. the 3 headed monster at 3rd base was Counsell, Hall, and Gamel. Counsell had a bum knee, Hall couldn't hit, and yet Gamel would get benched for three days following a good game. I believe not all prospects need to play every day, but at the same time I think Macha tends to over-subscribe to the theory that rookies should watch from the bench

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is how veterans lose their job's sometimes. I hope Lucroy can call a great game at the pro level. If he can do that and hit ok he could be up to stay. If not he get's some valuable experience and goes back to AAA for a bit. Either way it's a win win situation for the Brewers as they get to see if Lucroy is ready yet and Lucroy gets valuable experience. I'm a lot less concerned about his hitting than his ability to call the game at this level. Catching is the one position that is all about Defense and having the ability to keep your pitchers settled down and comfortable. Hitting is just a bonus.

Why are Lucroy's numbers so terrible in AAA?

On average the pitchers in AA actually throw harder than the pitchers in AAA. AAA is a step up, but it's a step to entirely different pitching, you have rotations full of players like we have in Nashville... some hard throwers struggling with command but many finesse pitchers who know how to locate and pitch. These guys are pitchers, not throwers getting bye on ability like you tend to see in AA. Think Rogers vs. Cappy. There is certainly an adjustment period for most players, last year Escobar went for 1 for 4 just about every day till the middle of May and then took off. I wouldn't make too much of his stat line at this point, if he struggles for the rest of the season I'll begin to get worried.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I would think Macha will use a strict platoon, even though he would never call it that.
Do you mean righty/lefty platoon? I hope not because the Brewers project to face all right handed starters for at least the next two series against the Twins and Astros. The next Lefty starter to pitch against the brewers might not be until Johan Santana three series from now.

Yes, that's what I meant. L/R platoon. If Kottaras wsn't hitting it would be different, but I don't see how you sit him vs LHP right now. Either one could DH this weekend, so it's not like Lucroy would sit and rot on the bench for a week. I just don't think it's very likely Lucroy will get the majority of starts, it's not Macha's style.

I bet Kottaras plays most every day since he's more experienced with the pitchers. You'll see Lucroy for the Sunday/Thursday afternoon games, then back down when Zaun comes back. To me, that's OK.

What's up with Salome? Is he injured?

Either one could DH this weekend, so it's not like Lucroy would sit and rot on the bench for a week.

While it is true that one could DH, I believe that if a DH is moved to a position spot mid-game you lose the DH for the rest of the game, so you might not want to use your backup catcher as DH unless it's something like a rest day for Mauer. Not certain... been a long time since I've paid a lot of attention to the AL.

I'd guess Kottaras will get most of the PT, but Lucroy will get 4-5 starts over the 15 days. It will be the traditional "call the young guy up to get a look at the majors and get some PAs." As long as Zaun is back in 15 days, Lucroy will go back to AAA, and Zaun will be able to be traded at the deadline, when Lucroy will come up to stay. If Zaun is not able to come back after 15 days, and it's going to be a long-term injury, then I'd guess Lucroy/Kottaras will be much more of a 50/50 split.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

http://brewersfandemonium...Salome.html#reply-614415

Angel had a baby boy (Angel)... The baby and his wife Johanica are home and doing fine. Secondly; what Angel is going through is not a phase or something that has been building up, it is a condition and several players as well as the general populace has or has had. Dontrelle Willis, Zack Grienke and to a worser extent Khalil Greene all suffered or suffer. Angel is addressing the problem and going to AZ to get back and healthy. It's not him worrying about Lucroy or anything else said on this website, it's a chemical condition like so many other conditions you and your family and friends may suffer from. ... Angel will be fine and wants to play ball, he truly does, it was evident by how hard he worked this off season.

http://brewersfandemonium...Salome.html#reply-614898

His problem is something that has taken time to develop and who know the root? He needs to get his correct meds and be able to play while on them. The ADD medication made it worse not better, it had an adverse effect and made him not concentrate, he even lost his release point at one time. He'll be fine and truly wants to be a Brewer and is thankful for the support and wants to repay the fans and organization with a great career. when he gets back he will have to deal with whatever the catching situation is.

At this point, it seems like an indefinite leave of absence for Angel. Hopefully we can get some more up-to-date info soon.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It is not like George Kotteras is absolutely tearing it up right now.
Kottaras and his 1.035 OPS would beg to differ.
Yeah, I'm not saying he has been bad but he hasn't been so good they haven't been able to take him out of the lineup. I actually really like Kotteras and enjoy him in the lineup but Lucroy I think will still be in the lineup 2-3 times a week until Zahn is back.

Yeah my time table is a little bit off on McGehee but he was still getting games at third. Gamel should have gotten top priority, def after some of those few big games he had but that is nothing new for Macha. One of his biggest knocks in Oakland was that he did not do a good job with young position players (with the pitching prospects spoon feed to him it would have been near impossible to screw that up). I can't recall the last time I have seen someone so demoralized after big league stint. He went from being one of the hottest bats in AA (2008) and the first month and a half in AAA (2009) in all of the minors to complete falling off the table and fliping 180 degrees. He was a completely different player. Hope Macha wouldn't make that mistake again

]

Yeah, I'm not saying he has been bad but he hasn't been so good they haven't been able to take him out of the lineup.

Not being in the lineup everyday is more of a function of the pecking order of the position. A 1.035 OPS is beyond fantastic for a backup catcher, especially considering he hasn't been in the lineup every day.

Personally I think Kottaras has been a pleasant surprise. He's looked good at the plate and decent behind the dish. And other than his slow start at the beginning of the season, Zaun has been fine as well (though I've found his defense a bit lacking, but the shoulder injury may have been a factor). People are forgetting how horrible some of the catchers throughout the league are when it comes to hitting.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Hope Macha wouldn't make that mistake again

I completely agree that Gamel was handled poorly in him MLB stint. But one might make an argument that the decision to pick McGehee over Gamel at 3B has turned out pretty well...

I think Kottaras has been a pleasant surprise.

I agree. I'm really looking forward to him serving as a backup to or time-sharer with Lucroy for the next 3-5 seasons. Another really, really shrewd pickup by Melvin off the waiver wire. If he's gone as GM, is there any way we could retain him for waiver wire claims? I'm only half kidding.

Personally I think Kottaras has been a pleasant surprise. He's looked good at the plate and decent behind the dish. And other than his slow start at the beginning of the season, Zaun has been fine as well (though I've found his defense a bit lacking, but the shoulder injury may have been a factor). People are forgetting how horrible some of the catchers throughout the league are when it comes to hitting.
I've really been impressed with Kottaras as well. He's shown some pop and has taken a ton of walks. Weeks leads the team with 21 walks and Kottaras isn't that far behind with 17 despite sparse playing time.

If not for Lucroy and Salome I'd bet he'd be generating a lot more buzz on this board considering he's still youngish at 27.

Kottaras has always been a good hitting catcher. His minor league OPS is .811 with an obp 100 points higher than the batting average. It's my understanding the Red Sox didn't want to give him up, but were in a roster crunch and with Martinez as their catcher he wasn't going to get a chance.

Great pickup by Doug.

There could be a bit of a McGehee/Gamel situation with Kottaras & Lucroy. I'm not sure what to think of it, but I'm pretty confident the Brewers will be getting good production from the catching position for the foreseeable future. I just did a double take re-reading what I typed.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

TLB, I've had the same thought. I'd almost guarantee that Kottaras will have a better MLB year than Lucroy, but just because he has started well and Lucroy might not be quite ready for MLB yet.

BTW, I like the change in avatar and signature. In response to the brewers recent crash?

Yes (thanks). Seemed to fit with the way things had been going. If embracing the dark side is what it takes to get the Brewers righted, I think we have to go for it.

While Zaun hasn't performed poorly after the first week, his signing was really unnecessary. I can understand holding Lucroy back a couple months in AAA, but couldn't they just as well have gotten similar production with a Rivera/Kottaras combo until then and saved more than $1 million? Yes there's a bit of hindsight now that we've seen Kottaras, but isn't that what Melvin is getting paid to see ahead of time?

Now Zaun is being paid on the DL. This is not an unexpected development when you play a 39 year old as your regular catcher.

Archived