Brewer Fanatic

Closer Solution?

Sadly, it's probably just because he hasn't pitched enough to 'earn' a label yet. He's just some unquantified relief pitcher still http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The young guys certainly looked good today against the Twins (Braddock in the 6th,7th - Ax Man in the 9th). Hoffman also looked pretty good. Having too many guys to close does not seem like a problem......it would be cool to see Macha give one of the young guys a chance. But how many of us really believe this is going to happen?

Actually if we are stuck with the idea that the "closer" is to be used exclusively in accordance with current standard practice...meaning that the "save" stat basically determines when he is used, then I'd rather have Hoffman (assuming yesterday was not a fluke) be the closer. This way there is at least potentially more flexibility in the use of those young guys. Also I would guess that an older pitcher, like Hoffman, probably benefits much more from having a very defined role.

Plus if Hoffman returns to form, but the Brewers remain out of it, perhaps they can get something for him in July.

I would like to see a kid with a flame thrower get an opportunity to be the 9th inning man. If Hoffman is going to stay as a setup guy that seems like the way to go. It reminds me a bit of Turbow's big year. Have a soft tossing Wise in the 8th and then trot Gomer out there to blow everybody away in the 9th with 98 mph gas. Hoffman setting up Coffey or Axford sounds like a good plan.

Archived