Brewer Fanatic

Closer Solution?

They haven't named anyone yet, but I assume Axford or Villanueva could be options in the interim. Maybe even Todd Coffey.

If it gets to the point where it's obvious Hoffman can't be a closer again (if it hasn't reached that point already), then I think they will call up Zach Braddock eventually to take on that role.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The broadcast last night played a clip of an interview with Macha in the dugout during batting practice earlier in the day. He mentioned they'd go by matchups (L/R), which made me really happy... but then I remembered the only way MLB managers seem to try to arrange the most favorable matchups in the 8th & 9th innings is when their 8th & 9th inning "guys" are injured/unavailable, so the happiness quickly faded.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm all for V. You scratch a couple outings this year, he's been pretty good. Plus he's got 6 different pitches, all of which he throws pretty well with pretty solid location. I think he would be tough to pick up as a closer. Even with a full count you could see a different pitch every time. I think that's pretty cool.

Villanueva tonight. He did fine. I'd like to see Coffey as the 8th inning guy then. I like Axford as much as anyone but I don't want to just hand him the closers role after a few impressive innings.

Villy makes sense since he can get lefties & righties out, but that's precisely why I'd like him to be free to work at any point in the game, not locked in at Closer. I guess I'd vote Villy. I'd really love to see Macha stick with playing the matchups, but I doubt that will happen.

Villanueva tonight. He did fine. I'd like to see Coffey as the 8th inning guy then. I like Axford as much as anyone but I don't want to just hand him the closers role after a few impressive innings.

Would you rather have Hoffman back? Have to try something, and at least this kid throws some heat!!

I'd like to see a "closer by committee" type thing right now. I hope Macha just uses one of Axford, Villanueva, or Braddock depending on what the situation calls for, and work that way at least for a while. Having a designated closer is partly why we're in the mess we are in now.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Developing a man crush on Axford. I knew he had a plus fastball and a slider, but that curve ball he dropped last night for a called strike 3 was nasty! Looks like he has closer stuff to me. Then again, with 3 pitches why can't he be a starter? Did he battle injuries the last few years or something, because I don't know how a guy with stuff like that hasn't been in MLB .

My vote is to play the matchups as well. If the Brewers are up by 1 in the 8th and the 3,4,5 hitters are up, go with whomever you think is the best available reliever. That should be common sense.

That's just crazy talk, it's not been done that way in over 20 years, you gotta use the 8th inning (or "setup") guy!

It is amusing to hear our TV announcers go on and on about how difficult not having a defined "closer" makes things. Oh my, those guys don't know when they might come into a game! And then there are the incredibly difficult managerial decisions that have to be made.

Two things I hate about modern baseball: The DH (thank goodness the brewers moved to the NL) and the cult of the closer.

He had TJ surgery in Dec. '03, missed all of '04 (this was all while playing at Notre Dame). He resumed pitching again in the spring of '05 at Notre Dame, & was drafted in the 42d round by Cincy in the '05 June draft. But Axford opted to pitch another year of college ball, transferring to Canisius College (NY) for the '05 season. The Yankees signed him out of the independent Western League (he was playing for the Melville Millionaires) on Aug. 11th of '06. They released him after the 2007 season, and the Brewers signed him as a MiLB free agent prior to the '08 season. I can't find a specific reason why they released him, and I don't see that he had to have another TJ surgery (esp. since he didn't miss any time aside from the normal '07-'08 offseason). I think I have the journey right, but could be missing pieces.

Sources:

http://neatesager.blogspo...n-yankees-give-john.html

http://www.canisius.edu/a...ter/online_newssep06.asp

http://www.und.com/sports...l/mtt/axford_john00.html

http://www.baseball-refer...layers/a/axforjo01.shtml

From the Canisius website's article --

Axford was 3-8 with a 5.01 earned run average in 14 starts for the Golden Griffins last season and struck out 75 in 70 innings. He pitched this summer for the Melville Millionaires in the Western League and, in one seven-inning game, fanned 19. He struck out 17 in another.
If that's right, that's just insane -- 19!

My vote is to play the matchups as well. If the Brewers are up by 1 in the 8th and the 3,4,5 hitters are up, go with whomever you think is the best available reliever. That should be common sense.

Two things I hate about modern baseball: The DH (thank goodness the brewers moved to the NL) and the cult of the closer.
I'll take it one step beyond closer. It's become unthinkable to have a RP throw more than one inning late in the game. You need an 8th inning guy, 7th inning guy, etc. But if they're throwing well, it's a major sin to ask him to pitch 2 innings. That's why last night was refreshing, to see the Ax Man go two innings. I was shocked and thrilled at the same time.

Archived