Brewer Fanatic

2010-05-19 Brewers (Wolf) at Pirates (Burres), 6:05 PM CDT [Nine not so fine -- Brewers lose, 6-4]

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Call me a bad fan. Call me a quitter. I've been with this team through thick and thin since the 1970's when I started watching baseball.

I never gave up. I always stayed with the club. All my friends gone, family gone.

I really have reached a point of disgust. I don't watch religiously anymore, sometimes I don't even check the score. All this has happened this year.

I don't think I'm going to a home game until Doug Melvin is fired.

I believe Melvin has created such a disaster that it's made me want him gone.

I really do not see me regaining interest anytime soon, even with a few wins.

Early in the season? Yup, it is. I guess that this year, I like swift and serious. No waiting.

-I used to have a neat-o signature, but it got erased.

Jamie, I felt that last year by mid May and I blamed Macha. I felt it again by early May and blamed him. By now, I really don't care that much anymore. I want to see wins, but they're about 7-8 games behind everyone's expectations, and it's pathetic. The offense doesn't score when it counts. The defense doesn't do much. The pitching thinks we have High school 7 inning games. The manager doesn't seem to care.

While I am frustrated and disgusted with this teams play, they are not nearly as bad as many of the other Brewers teams I have stuck with. And I love baseball and this team so I won't ever give up my love and passion for this team. Never. But man, they are brutal right now, it's tough to watch at times.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Community Moderator

The Brewers are in really bad shape right now, but the major fallout could be next year. I have seen this happen in many other cities that had a few years of winning and then fell off the face of the earth--most notably Cleveland and Toronto, but in other places as well. Even if the Brewers turn it around this year, they will be stuck in a perpetual battle with the Cubs for 3rd place and a .500 record. If they do not turn it around, they could be looking at 95-100 losses, especially if Prince is gone in July.

Any hope of signing free agents this offseason will most likely be gone, as attendance will drop to 2.6-2.7 million this year and 2.2-2.4 million in 2011. Season ticket renewals will plunge dramatically next year. The payroll will need to drop by $20 million.

Our window of opportunity has closed. The one and only playoff victory was the peak, and it is all downhill now. The next reasonable chance at the playoffs is going to be around 2015--as we have time to rebuild a new team around Yovani Gallardo and Ryan Braun. It's all over for the current Brewers.

On a positive note, I fell in love with baseball as a kid by watching the Brewers from 1996-1997. By 1998 I was hooked. Those of you who grew up with Yount and Molitor had it good. I grew up with Vaughn, Jaha, Cirillo, and Vina, and I saw many losses at an empty County Stadium. We all survived 2002. My point is that no matter how ugly it gets, this will not stop me from being a loyal Brewers fan. However, like everyone here, my Brewers watching drops significantly when the team is playing poorly.

I think selling and rebuilding is the only way to build interest around this team again. As a fanbase, we need to let go of the current team. It was really a pleasure to watch this team grow from 2004-2008, but to sustain our playoff run, we had to trade pieces of our farm system, while the skewed economics of baseball let C.C. Sabathia get away. I have no interest in watching mediocre veterans win 70 games every year--if I wanted that, I would become a Royals fan. It is much more fun to follow a young, up and coming team, like this year's Nationals or Reds. The management should also be erased and the new manager should have no connection to the current staff or the 1980s Brewers. The entire organization must build around a 2015 plan--instead of pretending that the 2011 Brewers could somehow miraculously compete without Prince.

We just all need to swallow our pride and start over.

When those early 2000's teams were losing 90 plus, there was light at the end of the tunnel. We were waiting for the guys that are in the heart of this mess right now.

I remember waking up before school my senior year of hs and scrolling thru the box scores to see what kind of night Weeks and Fielder had, and then going to school and telling my friends just wait until these guys get up here, we'll be set up for a long time.

This season is a lost cause. Blow it up ASAP. Trading Prince Fielder is a good start to revamping a pitching staff that is truly putrid. There is still some solid foundation there. Braun, McGehee, Escobar, Gallardo, some guys in the minors who should be OK. A lot of dead money is coming off the books next year.

I think the Melvin era is over. I'm not going to rip the guy to shreds because he did get us back to October. A lot of people before him failed to do that, let's not forget that. I just think it's time for a new philosophy at the top. This one's run its course.

Baseball's a great sport, but when I actually think about the fact I devote 3 hrs of my day 162 times a year, it's a bit depressing. My ex wife use to get on me all the time for it, and probably rightfully so.
You can't let her win! Step away from the ledge.

I'm gaining respect for Wolf, he's accountable.

“I’m concerned about the fact that I suck,” said Wolf, who allowed 10

hits and five walks before departing with one down in the seventh. “I’m

not going to candy coat it. How many (walks) did I have today? Five?

That’s horrible. I need to be more aggressive and pitch to contact.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived