Brewer Fanatic

2010-05-18 Brewers (Parra) at Reds (Bailey), 11:35 AM CDT [Brewers, Hoffman lose 5-4]

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
St. Louis isn't gonna be amused by Cincy, methinks.
They'd better be as un-amused by the Reds as they've been by the Brewers.

I want to dislike Joey Votto, but given his anxiety/depression woes, I can't flat out hate.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's weird listening to a radio broadcast as if it were a TV broadcast. I've always liked the one guy is primarily responsible for x innings, and when both commentators are present there's no obligation to have a back and forth.

The Brewers' setup (with one announcer being able to disappear) is unusual. It's something that Bob Uecker requested sometime back in the 1990s.

I think you'd most typically find two play by play announcers in the radio booth, with the second one almost always present. The Cubs and Yankees each use a play by play and color person on radio. I don't know what the Braves do now, but they used to switch their radio and TV crews mid-game. With Don Sutton as part of that, he must have been doing color when he was on the radio end.

That's really interesting, 1992Casey. It seems like it works for the Cubs because Santo is more like a cheerleader than a color man. The Brewers set up just makes a lot of intuitive sense to me in terms of how it fits with the medium. With two guys (or gals) going back forth, it seems like it'd be more difficult to not miss some of the action. Plus, there's a lot of balancing that needs to be done in terms of when each should speak. Radio seems much conducive to description and ambience than television, which can more easily be about analysis. But maybe that's just me. I could be so used to the Brewers Provus/Powell--Ueck set up that I'm blind to anything else.

Either way, I always liked the contrast in styles between Ueck and Corey/Powell. It always provided for, I think, a more compelling listening experience.

This is how Macha should have been using Suppan and Parra out of the bullpen all along to save arms. Better late than never I guess. Great job by Estrada to save the bullpen today. Hopefully Trevor can nail this one down!
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Wow...how about the day for Parra/Estrada...that was quite unexpected and very good to see.

Let's see if Trevor can put it in the can. He looked good on Sunday. The time before that he got rocked, but TH had speculated not to read anything into it since he was trying to work on his change in the blowout, which was why he threw all changes. He mixed his pitches well on Sunday.

Call me nuts but I would like to see Estrada pitch the ninth.
I think it; he says it. My thoughts exactly. Although, if you're looking for a low-leverage save, this is it. You're facing 8-PH-1 in the bottom of the ninth with a cushion, and there aren't any real Brewer-killers on the bench, although Heisey seems to be getting there.

Archived