Brewer Fanatic

Oliver Perez

Oliver Perez has been put in the Mets bullpen. They have also discussed sending him to AAA.

Perez signed a 3 year $36M deal with the Mets after he posted his best seasons working with Rick Peterson. He is signed through next year at $12M a year. So for 2010 and 2011 he is owed $24M.

Suppan is owed $12.5M this year with a $2M buyout. Riske is owed $4.5M this year. That is a total of $19M.

Would you trade Suppan and Riske for Perez?

The Brewers get Perez this year and next year for an additional $5 with the hopes that reuniting him with Peterson can turn him back into a serviceable pitcher. It certainly doesn't make the Brewers contenders - but it only costs $5M with some upside.

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder if the Mets would do this now. Was listening to Homer today and he made a good point lets give garbage for garbage. Suppan and Riske are garbage right now and so is Perez so a Suppan and Riske trade may work or heck even a Suppan for Perez trade may work. Perez can't be as bad as Suppan and the only thing I don't really like about trading for Perez is that you would be moving Parra or Narveson out of the rotation. I don't believe that would be a good idea though. But I wouldn't mind Perez in the rotation though his contract really does suck compared to Suppan's. With Suppan and Riske really only being on the books for this year you will still have to be paying for Perez next year at $12m next year. I think the Brewers may have to add something to a Suppan for Perez deal but that won't be much since the Mets would be saving $10m next off season and that could get them a reliever or a decent positional player.

A couple things would at least make me at least consider. Perez' two solid years with the Mets were with Peterson as their pitching coach and the fact that he rebounded from two awful years in Pittsburgh so it's not that far fetched to think he could do it again. Plus he's still only 28. The Cubs revived Carlos Silva. It happens.

But I'd be much more inclined to just wait until the Mets eat his contract rather and then take a flier on him. Besides, I don't think they want Suppan either.

I'll pass. Can he even touch 90 mph on the gun anymore? I wouldn't want his contract on the books for next year. He's never come close to duplicating his one stellar year in Pittsburgh, yet he'll continue to get opportunities because of it. I don't want the Brewers to be the next team to give him one.

Perez is worse than Suppan. Everybody complains about not cutting Suppan this season but they then want to add another pitcher for another year thats even worse?
Sorry, but that's impossible, you do realize that the league is hitting .385 against him, don't you? I'm starting to think that most high-school pitchers could put up better numbers than Soup. I'd be willing to do a deal where the Brewers dump Suppan on the Mets, and give them a million or two on salary relief for Perez next year. Perhaps Mark A. can negotiate something in the deal where the Mets are forced to give Soup a 'chance' to save face, before they do the sensible thing and cut him.

We already have Parra, I don't want to trade for a more expensive and older version of him. We will be done with Suppan after this season, the Brewers would be on the hook for Perez in '11 as well, I'm not sure how that's a step in the right direction.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Perez is worse than Suppan. Everybody complains about not cutting Suppan this season but they then want to add another pitcher for another year thats even worse?
Sorry, but that's impossible, you do realize that the league is hitting .385 against him, don't you? I'm starting to think that most high-school pitchers could put up better numbers than Soup. I'd be willing to do a deal where the Brewers dump Suppan on the Mets, and give them a million or two on salary relief for Perez next year. Perhaps Mark A. can negotiate something in the deal where the Mets are forced to give Soup a 'chance' to save face, before they do the sensible thing and cut him.
You do realize that Perez walks over 7 per 9?

Yes, but there is at least a small chance that a pitcher can 'fix' control issues. You cannot 'fix' velocity, age, and lack of movement. Probably 90% Perez would be a washout here, but I'd still take the chance (especially considering the fact that Peterson is here anyway) if he only cost a million or two next year, a middling prospect or a veteran bench guy or reliever.... and allowed the team to move Suppan. This would basically be a PR move for both teams. The Mets need the roster spot, they could placate the clubhouse and fans, and claim a little salary relief. They could stash Suppan on the D.L., then maybe use him once or twice before they cut him in a month or so.

Yes, but there is at least a small chance that a pitcher can 'fix' control issues. You cannot 'fix' velocity, age, and lack of movement. Probably 90% Perez would be a washout here, but I'd still take the chance (especially considering the fact that Peterson is here anyway) if he only cost a million or two next year, a middling prospect or a veteran bench guy or reliever.... and allowed the team to move Suppan. This would basically be a PR move for both teams. The Mets need the roster spot, they could placate the clubhouse and fans, and claim a little salary relief. They could stash Suppan on the D.L., then maybe use him once or twice before they cut him in a month or so. Heck, some casual Mets fans might think Suppan is an OK pitcher based on the 2006 NLCS.

How about Perez and 7-8 million for Suppan/Hawkins? Factoring in Suppan's buyout, this would actually give the Brewers some salary relief for next season, and it would allow the Mets to receive some (at least perceived) value for Perez. With Coffey around and the emergence of Axford, I just don't see the need for Hawkins, and he at least has the potential to be decent.

I still say no, he's 28 years old, he's not getting better, in fact he's only trending negatively and we still need to get Parra straightened out (if that's ever going to happen) before taking on another project.

I don't fascination here with Perez at all, he's proven he stinks. I'll pick him on up on a DFA if I think he might magically turn it around letting him work out his issues in the minors, but not wasting another roster on a pitcher who won't throw strikes. His BB rate has only been under 4 once in his career and went from 4.9 to over 7 in the last 3 years. There's not nothing positive about his peripherals at all as his K rate has declined to 7.0... he actually has a negative K:BB ratio for the season.

I might let him pitch in down in BC in the 4th or 5th spot in the rotation but that's as high as I place him in the system at this time.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Perez won't go to the minors. I was watching the Mets broadcast the other day and they where soundly ripping Perez for refusing to go to the minors to try to straighten himself out. Supposedly there are some "clubhouse issues" with him also.

Not a great fit for us

Perez won't go to the minors. I was watching the Mets broadcast the other day and they where soundly ripping Perez for refusing to go to the minors to try to straighten himself out. Supposedly there are some "clubhouse issues" with him also.

Not a great fit for us

Yeah, I think acquiring Perez in any trade would be a step backwards at this point. I don't want to see the Brewers on the hook for his salary next season, and we have enough questionable "veteran pitching" at this point. Enough is enough. Ride out this season, and then clear as much salary room (through departing players and possibly trades this season), and make some meaningful acquisitions in the off-season. Wasting salary for next season on a guy like Perez would be way too risky.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Archived