Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who really are the possible suitors for Prince? Who has the $ to trade for him and then sign him?

Boston

Seattle?

Arizona?

Washington?

There are not many options.

Why do they have to have the money to re-sign him? Why can't it be a team that's in the playoff hunt that wants to upgrade for this season and next, or even a team that will trade for him and then flip him this offseason?

- Tampa is falling back (3 games back and in third place now), and they have Pena at 1B, hitting for a .739 OPS. They've got plenty of young talent to put a deal together.

- Toronto is 7.5 back, so they may not be big time buyers, but Overbay is hitting for a .697 OPS (that's Bill Hall territory). They've got excess pitching they may be willing to move.

- Baltimore could fall into the category of being able to trade for him and sign him long-term to build around their young players

- Smoak in Texas is hitting for a .735 OPS. They're tops in their division, and may want to stay there. Smoak's young, so they could trade for Fielder and then move him in the offseason or next trade deadline if they think Smoak is ready

- Kendry Morales of the Angels broke his leg celebrating a HR, so they could really use a 1B as they're 4.5 behind Texas.

- Oakland is probably not a buyer, although they did just trade for Conner Jackson. Barton is hitting a .794 OPS

- Seattle is probably not in the mix, but they are in desparate need of offense and have loads of money. They did just trade for Branyan, but could be an option this offseason.

- The Mets are 0.5 games behind Atlanta, with Ike Davis hitting a .794 OPS. Their fans aren't going to be happy if they have a chance to upgrade, pass it up and miss the playoffs.

- The Dodgers are 5 games back, with Loney at .778 OPS

- Colorado is 6 games back with Helton at .662 OPS. Add some offense to that pitching staff, and they could make a run, especially if San Diego starts to falter.

That's just looking at 1B, and not considering the DH in the AL, which could add more teams. As the playoff chase heats up, I'm sure teams would like Fielder on their roster. I hope Melvin's comments don't stop teams from asking. I wish he'd be more proactive about it, instead of sitting on his hands waiting for the phone to ring, but the bottom line is that if the Brewers let it be known that Fielder is on the market for the right price, it wouldn't take them long to find someone who could find a spot for him on their roster.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I hope Melvin's comments don't stop teams from asking. I wish he'd be

more proactive about it, instead of sitting on his hands waiting for the

phone to ring, but the bottom line is that if the Brewers let it be

known that Fielder is on the market for the right price, it wouldn't

take them long to find someone who could find a spot for him on their

roster.

----------------------------------------------------

It baffles me that people take the words GM's say in public as gospel, or we believe that GM's are sitting on their hands because they're not openly shopping their star player in the media.

I think it's be foolish to think that Melvin hasn't taken, or made calls regarding Fielder, starting probably long before we'd think.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Anyone who trades for Fielder needs to assume he'll walk.

That said at the end of the season Boston, both Chicago teams, possibly Detroit nd the LAD will need a 1B/DH.

I still say the Nationals maybe a fit though I'm not sure who we could get from them though. Probably Zimmerman (not Ryan) and a low level prospect or two. I could see the Nationals then trying to extend Prince at about where Teixeira signed for they will definitely have the money to do that. It will also increase their ticket sales which will be big for them. Having Prince, R. Zimmerman, and Strasburg being the faces of the franchise for the next 4-6 years would be a huge step forward and would more than likely create a big enough buzz for the Nationals.

Dunn is also an option but Prince is a bigger name and younger but will cost more in terms of years. I believe with Prince that puts the Nationals as the 2nd or 3rd best team in the NL East. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nationals would then become the favorite to either win the Wild Card or the NL East though I like Atlanta a lot along with the Mets.

I hope Melvin's comments don't stop teams from asking. I wish he'd be more proactive about it, instead of sitting on his hands waiting for the phone to ring, but the bottom line is that if the Brewers let it be known that Fielder is on the market for the right price, it wouldn't take them long to find someone who could find a spot for him on their roster.

----------------------------------------------------

It baffles me that people take the words GM's say in public as gospel, or we believe that GM's are sitting on their hands because they're not openly shopping their star player in the media.

I think it's be foolish to think that Melvin hasn't taken, or made calls regarding Fielder, starting probably long before we'd think.

Well, Mark A was in the booth tonight and said his conversations with Melvin lately have mostly been about buying rather than selling, so call me foolish, but I don't think Melvin's trading Fielder this season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

You really think the Owner, who's income is from the team is almost completely based on this years attendance is going to come out and say "We're gonna trade everyone" publicly before the All Star Break?

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Eh, you have to take everything the owner says on TV with a grain of salt. It's not like he can go on TV and say, "We're going to have a massive fire sale."

I don't think still considering being buyers is completely out of line, though. The team is in 3rd, place, 8.5 games back, still with time and opportunity to make up quite a bit of ground before the All-Star break.

I am guessing Fielder will not be dealt this summer, simply due to a lack of viable buyers willing to give up enough value.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

That ignores the context, Baldkin. Attanasio was asked if the Brewers were in more of a sell mode or buy mode. He said buy. I wanted to punch something.
If he says "We're sellers. We're gonna trade for young talent." or something like that, they sell less tickets for August and September games. He won't say that in public, until the day Fielder gets traded.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Hey if there is a fire sale somewhere....why shouldn't we be buyers

Because right now we are nowhere nowhere close to contending. I only want to be a buyer if it's going to be someone who is cheap and under control for a number of years....in other words, the exact type of player who won't be available to "buy" at the deadline. Just because we have a lot of expiring contacts this season doesn't mean we should take on some more bad contracts that might get us back to .500

Milwaukee needs to trade Fielder. The sooner the better. I think a team like Tampa would be willing to take him on this season and then flip in the off season to recoup some of their prospects. What about a deal moving Hart and Fielder to TB for a package starting with Hellickson and McGee? They'd could keep both for next season, trade both in the off season, keep one and trade one, etc. It'd be a good move for Tampa.

If he says "We're sellers. We're gonna trade for young talent." or something like that, they sell less tickets for August and September games. He won't say that in public, until the day Fielder gets traded.

I was referring to an overall stance of being buyers as to why I was frustrated, not just Prince's status.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

And I'm referring to the fact that the owner isn't going to publicly admit that the team has no playoff chance in June which would kill ticket sales for August and September.

And I'm referring to the fact that the owner isn't going to publicly admit that the team has no playoff chance in June which would kill ticket sales for August and September.
He doesn't need to. When we are still 6.5 games back I think most fans will realize we have no chance.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Of course we can't read Mark A's mind, and of course there is a chance that he's lying to his customers simply to gain additional sales. If I had to bet, I'd say we'll do similar to last season, which is making a few token moves of mid-tier prospects for rent-a-players in order to "stay in the race." The only thing I'm hanging hope on is that barring injury we really don't have any position where a moderate upgrade would make a big difference. That said, I really, really hope we don't do something stupid like trading top prospects for Cliff Lee. If we are to become buyers, I hope it's for someone like Dan Haren, who we would control for a few more years.

I still think we could trade a few of our players like Craig Counsell, Dave Bush and Hoffman/Coffey without really diminishing the talent level of the team. Inglett should probably be ahead of Counsell on the depth chart right now, we'll need a spot in the rotation when Davis is back, and our young bullpen pitchers are outdoing the vets. Essentially, we could "sell" and still get better, and the money saved would go a long way towards paying for someone like Haren.

The bottom line for me is that we are still a small-to-mid-market team, and as such we cannot continually trade away prospects to "boost ticket sales in August and September," when we are not a true contender. Occasionally, we need to re-stock our minor leagues by trading away players who are in their final year and aren't going to be part of the future. We didn't do it last year, and if we spend prospects to acquire more stopgap solutions again this season, we will seemingly just be delaying the inevitable need to re-stock.

I still believe that if Melvin plays his cards right we could be a better team next year than we are this year. If we don't take advantage of some situations, and instead waste some of our chips to gain an extra win or two this season, we could hurt our chances at being competitive next year.

~Bill Walsh

He doesn't need to. When we are still 6.5 games back I think most fans will realize we have no chance.

It's June and over half the season is left - I'd hardly say they are out of it, especially with the Cardinals having serious rotation problems. I also have a hard time seeing the Reds keep it up.

White Sox were 9.5 back on June 8th - 20 days later they are 2 games back.

Far too early in the season to be writing teams off...... that said, they should still be looking to see what the market is for Prince and if a good enough deal comes along, trade him.

White Sox were 9.5 back on June 8th - 20 days later they are 2 games back

All the .447 Brewers need to do is win 15 of the next 16 and they're right back in this thing! It *could* happen, but I could win the lottery tomorrow, too.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think the definitions of "buy" and "sell" are pigeon-holed into one meaning. Buying doesn't necessarily mean playing for this season and that's all. Now if we're talking about a rental like Cliff Lee, sure. But it isn't like the Brewers couldn't get a useful player(s) for now and later in exchange for Hart or Fielder. The Brewers aren't so bad at the ML level and in the farm system that they need to sell off everyone. I don't think the return for guys like Edmonds, Hoffman, Capuano, or even Counsell is valuable enough to really pursue. Chances are they'll be blocked by players already in the system anyway.

I think if the Brewers add one #2 type starter they're right there in the division for the next 162 games. Then it comes down to the rest of the guys on the team playing to their capabilities.

But I'm not in line with the thought of dumping off guys just because they're old. Unless the Brewers want to dump a contract - I can't think of any left - or they're blocking someone in the minors I don't see any reason to bother. I do think they will be taking and making offers involving Corey Hart, and I do think one of Bush/Davis/Capuano will be dealt by the deadline. Otherwise, not much else is really necessary, as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, this is a Prince Fielder topic.

All the .447 Brewers need to do is win 15 of the next 16 and they're right back in this thing! It *could* happen, but I could win the lottery tomorrow, too.
I disagree- 5 out of the next 6 would get them right into the thick of things and it's not out of the realm of possibility if the bats stay hot. I do agree if you lose 5 of the next 6, you start thinking about next year.

It's not like they are chasing the '27 Yankees. St. Louis has Suppan in their starting rotation, and Cincy has warts as well. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the Reds fold like a cheap suit, a la the Yost Brewers in the coming weeks.

I disagree- 4 or 5 out of the next 6 would keep them right into the thick of things and 5 of 6 is not outside of the realm of possibility if the bats stay hot. I do agree if you lose 5 of the next 6, you start thinking about next year.

It's not like they are chasing the '27 Yankees. St. Louis has Suppan in their starting rotation, and Cincy has warts as well. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see the Reds fold like a cheap suit, a la the Yost Brewers in the coming weeks.

No, they don't need to win 15 of 16. They only need to make up 8.5 games in the remaining 85 games, or in other words, pickup a game in the standings every 10 games played.

I understand if someone isn't optimistic, but to say the season is over at this point is quite a bit of a stretch.

So if the Cards win at a .500 pace we need to win at a .600 pace. I think the important thing to remember, other than this is a Fielder thread, is that we were only expected to be slightly above 80 wins this year or about a .500 team. Winning head to head games against the Cards means little unless we sweep a series. Even winning 3 of 4 in this upcoming series only gains us one game. There is a really nice thread about this nonFielder stuff over in the MLB forum.

I blame Wang.

So if the Cards win at a .500 pace we need to win at a .600 pace. I think the important thing to remember, other than this is a Fielder thread, is that we were only expected to be slightly above 80 wins this year or about a .500 team. Winning head to head games against the Cards means little unless we sweep a series. Even winning 3 of 4 in this upcoming series only gains us one game. There is a really nice thread about this nonFielder stuff over in the MLB forum.

Don't we gain 2 if we win 3 of 4?

Don't we gain 2 if we win 3 of 4?

Yup you are right. No idea what happened there. Must have thought 2 of 3 or something.

I blame Wang.

Archived