Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

Trade Fielder and Hart and Cash to Tampa Bay for Hellickson, Jennings.

While I would love this trade, there is no way Tampa would do it. They aren't looking to take on payroll.

Florida doesn't deserve the Rays or Marlins, that's all I wanted to say.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Our situation is hardly similar to Boston's, not in any way, semantics have nothing to do with it.. Asking what I would do in Milwaukee, having only 1 good pitcher, very limited resources, different expectations, different pressures to win, and so on... it doesn't matter what players you use the comparison just doesn't work, it's not relevant no matter how you spin it.
You completely missed the point and I am just going to leave it at that.

I'll put it this way. If the Brewers had 7 Yo Gallardo's and no offense, and we were sitting in third place, just out of the playoffs, then yes, I would trade a Yo Gallardo for 1.5 years of Prince Fielder. Since we have no starting pitching, there is no way I'd trade the only good, young MLB pitcher we have.

It's as much about the needs of a team as it is about the value of the players.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The thing about Cain is we would only have him for two more years, then he would leave for FA. He won't be that cheap anymore either (due $15 million in 2012 alone). I guess that wouldn't be a bad return for 1.5 years of Fielder, but I'd hope we can get at least one young cost controlled pitcher in any trade involving Prince.

I like the trade idea with the Rays much better, but is probably a pipe dream like some have said. And yes, Tampa is a horrible baseball market. They're currently 23rd in attendance in MLB, and averaging just over 22,000 a game. Just pathetic for a team which has the best record in baseball. For comparison, the Brewers are still 10th overall in attendance.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I understand the argument that Tampa won't take on Fielder's contract, but I think there is still a possibility due to the fact that they could use Fielder's bat this year and always flip him in the off season and get back something similar to what they had to give up to get him in the first place. Tampa is run very well and while a trade like this doesn't fit with their normal game plan, the fact that they are close to winning it all could definitely alter things.

The thing about Cain is we would only have him for two more years, then he would leave for FA. He won't be that cheap anymore either (due $15 million in 2012 alone). I guess that wouldn't be a bad return for 1.5 years of Fielder, but I'd hope we can get at least one young cost controlled pitcher in any trade involving Prince.

I like the trade idea with the Rays much better, but is probably a pipe dream like some have said. And yes, Tampa is a horrible baseball market. They're currently 23rd in attendance in MLB, and averaging just over 22,000 a game. Just pathetic for a team which has the best record in baseball. For comparison, the Brewers are still 10th overall in attendance.

I agree on the Cain front. We need to get someone we'll have for a longer period. The only reason we're contemplating trading Fielder is that he's headed to free agency. We'd be in the same situation with Cain.

As far as Tampa, I've had some hard core baseball fans that've been there tell me it's the worst stadium they've ever seen, and they would not go back to watch a game there. I don't know what could possibly be so bad about a stadium, but I think that's part of the reason the attendance is so low.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Basically from what I've heard is that the stadium isn't in a great area and it's pretty drab inside as far as providing a "baseball atmosphere." Still, I don't think those excuses really hold much water with such a good team playing in the toughest division in MLB. Real fans get out and support the team regardless of how "fun" the interior of the stadium is or not. It's not like they can whine about the weather like Marlins fans legitimately can.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I agree on the Cain front. We need to get someone we'll have for a longer period. The only reason we're contemplating trading Fielder is that he's headed to free agency. We'd be in the same situation with Cain.

As far as Tampa, I've had some hard core baseball fans that've been there tell me it's the worst stadium they've ever seen, and they would not go back to watch a game there. I don't know what could possibly be so bad about a stadium, but I think that's part of the reason the attendance is so low.

Agree completely with the Cain thing. Aside from what everyone wants, there is no way we're getting a proven MLB pitcher in return for Prince. Mostly because of money, but partially because we could get 3-4 prospects instead of one MLB guy.

No thanks to Cain - If Prince is to be dealt, he should bring back affordable talent.

What about the Angels? They lost Morales for the year and are still in the thick of things over there.....

Edit: Just saw the Angels have already been discussed in this thread.

As far as baseball environment you may be right, but how much of that is a chicken or the egg-type situation. Do people not come because the atmosphere sucks or does the atmosphere suck because people don't come unless they're coming to cheer for the Yankees and Red Sox?

I go to a fair number of Rays games because I have family in St. Pete, and honestly, I like the stadium a lot. The inside/air-conditioned facilities are definitely appreciated (by me) during the summer months, and the dome is helpful given the frequent afternoon T-storms (frequent = pretty much EVERY DAY). I'm not mad at the cheap ticket prices either, but that's a symptom of the problem.

Do they still have free parking down there too? Seems like the Rays have really tried to get people to come, and the "fans" are generally apathetic about a highly competitive team.

Anyway, it seems more and more like Fielder is killing his own value with his mediocre level of play this season.

Basically from what I've heard is that the stadium isn't in a great area and it's pretty drab inside as far as providing a "baseball atmosphere." Still, I don't think those excuses really hold much water with such a good team playing in the toughest division in MLB. Real fans get out and support the team regardless of how "fun" the interior of the stadium is or not. It's not like they can whine about the weather like Marlins fans legitimately can.

Drab is right, along with grey, dull, boring, the Tropicana Dome does not provide a baseball atmosphere. I have been to Tropicana Dome and that is my feeling. It is the worst baseball stadium I've been to, worse than the Metrodome. When I was there I left the game in the 6th or 7th inning (I rarely to never leave games early) because it did not make sense to be sitting inside that ugly dome when the weather outside was so nice.

They should have more fans though because they have the best managed organization in baseball and continually field an outstanding team. That said, we are not getting Jeremy Hellickson or any of their young pitching talent for Prince Fielder. Forget it.

Anybody think the Mets might be a consideration for Fielder? I know they were brought up as a possibility before and then Ike Davis came up and started raking. Davis has cooled a bit and while he's been good he's not at Fielder's level yet. The Mets are right there and always have that pressure to win now so maybe:

Fielder and Coffey for

Ike Davis and Jenrry Mejia

Both of those options would be extremely inferior to Fielder or even Konerko.
Yes but they wouldn't cost any prospects and probably wouldn't cost all that much compared to Prince or Konerko.

I really don't see the Rays as a destination and again I don't want the Brewers dealing with the Angels there is just absolutely no one in their system right now that wows me in terms of pitching prospects. The Rangers have a lot of good pitching prospects along with the Rays in A and AA that I would like the Brewers to get for Fielder but the only way the Brewers are going to get some of that pitching is if Smoak starts to hit rather awfully. I still think a Chris Davis plus a couple of the A and AA guys from the Rangers would be an OK deal though I would rather have Gamel take over at 1B first before Davis.

Maybe the Blue Jays could be a possibility also though I'm not really sure who or what the Jays could bring in a trade and if they would. The Jays are stuck in the same dilemma that the Red Sox are currently in do they go for an impact player and try and catch either the Yankees or the Rays?

I don't see the Braves really as a destination since Glaus has been playing so well lately for them at 1B and I don't see the Braves really giving up on Jones. I think the Brewers are probably better off keeping Fielder until the off season and then trading him then while trading Hart to the Padres or the Rays, Red Sox, or A's. The Rangers may even be a possibility if Cruz doesn't get healthy soon for a possible landing spot for Hart.

If we really want to get trade value for Fielder then we're going to have to drop our demand for MLB pitching ready players. If we're willing to take High A ball studs, say a Mike Trout type plus a true stud arm, I think we could get 2 or 3 other prospects in the second tier as well. But young, major league ready arms--forget it. Maybe if some gets desparate I suppose.

I agree with Tbaddder. Forget about Hellickson/Jennings/Martin Perez/Smoak/Teheran/Bumgartner/Simon Castro/Bucholtz/etc.

Even guys like Mejia/Kyle Gibson/Font/Matt Moore/Alex Colome/etc. will be tough to pry away from teams in any deal. Not saying I agree with it whatsoever, but as tampa has shown, there is more to running a MLB franchise then putting the BEST product out on the field.

I know everyone hates this idea, but if i can't get one guy that belongs in the first group of players I listed, I take the draft picks. We can't just give away impact bats, and he has the biggest impact bat on this team. At least in the draft we get to choose from a much larger selection of players. I am more then fine letting Tampa/Atlanta/Texas/Anahiem realize they are short a big bat when the playoffs come. If they don't want to pay up, then let them suffer. At least the Brewers will be able to let everything play out on their terms instead of just bending over in front the rest of the league. Then, maybe next time we can get full value for Lawrie, or Gamel, or whoever.

But getting Cain and throwing a 6yr/90million extension at him will keep him around. He's injury free, proven, and a horse.

Remember, after this year we have Suppan, Hall, and Hoffman coming off the books. That's 33 million if my addition and memory are correct. Spending half of that on a starter is a given. Actually, we could spend almost all of it on starting pitching and it wouldn't bother me.

I was exchanging emails last night with Jonah Keri. He told me that while Tampa is somewhat looking to scale back payroll next season, they could really use Fielder and might make a move to truly "go for it" this season. His bat in their lineup would really put them over the top. While they would not part with Hellickson or Jennings, he thinks that they would part with either Wade Davis or Jeff Niemann for Fielder.

I think I would trade Prince for one of those two and maybe another lower level prospect? Thoughts?

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Archived