Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

Hellickson, Davis and Moore for Fielder, Bush and half of Prince's remaining 2010 salary. Do it up.
Really? They're going to trade their three top pitching prospects in one deal? That would be insanely lopsided in the Brewers' favor.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hellickson, Davis and Moore for Fielder, Bush and half of Prince's remaining 2010 salary. Do it up.
Really? They're going to trade their three top pitching prospects in one deal? That would be insanely lopsided in the Brewers' favor.

I guess I didn't take him as being serious on that one, but you're right, that would be insane for the Rays to make such a trade.

Listening to baseball tonight, Olney commented saying that he had talked to a GM in the national league and he thought it was a gaurantee that the brewers will trade Prince before this deadline. He mentioned the white sox with a package of young P Dan Hudson and or Gordem Beckham.Also mentioned the Ray with a deal centered around Wade Davis. IF its me sign me up for the White Sox Dan Hudson and Gordem Beckham.

Buster Olney just did a piece on Baseball Tonight about Prince. He said he spoke with an NL GM who told him that he felt Prince would absolutely be traded before the deadline this year. Olney then said the Brewers would definitely be looking for young power pitching, and said he's spoke with Kenny Williams who has been interested in a LH bat and that the White Sox would be a good fit, with a package of Daniel Hudson and Gordan Beckham, and the he speculated (his term) that the Rays would be an excellent fit for a Prince Fielder trade due to their young pitching and how well Fielder would fit in their lineup.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd prefer Beckham at 3rd, McGehee to a different team, for a pitcher or OF.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I have absolutely no interest in Beckham whatsoever. Listening to the homers on Chicago talk radio last year, you would have thought that Beckham was the next Mike Schmidt. Judging from his performance this year, he's probably closer to being the next Mike Blowers. The absolute last thing that this team needs is another 3rd baseman (not to mention yet another right handed hitter) to block Gamel. I'd be interested in Hudson as part of the deal, but he alone is not enough for Fielder, and I don't see much else in the way of young pitching.

I would be pleased with a return of Beckham and Hudson for Prince. Trade Hart for Minor. Trade McGehee and Villanueva to the Angels for a higher upside arm like Fabio Martinez Mesa and a hitter like Trumbo. Trade Weeks to Colorado for EY Jr and an arm.

Beckham plays 3B, Escobar at SS, Young at 2B until Lawrie pushes him into a supersub role, Trumbo or Gamel at 1B, Braun/Gomez/Cain/Edmonds in OF. Rotation of Gallarado/Wolf/Hudson/Parra/Minor.

Right. Sorry, I should have seen that the first time.

Hudson and Beckham would be a haul for Prince. I don't see the White Sox trading Hudson unless they get a starter back. He's in their rotation now with Peavy out for the year. Really, I'd be surprised if they traded Beckham either.

I have absolutely no interest in Beckham whatsoever.

You have no interest in an infielder who was an elite college player and top-10 overall pick, who raked in the few months he played in the minors before being called to the majors just a year after being drafted, who has the pedigree of a top 20 prospect, and who performed well as a 22yro just a year removed from college in his rookie season?

Just because he's had a bad first 300 at-bats in this season, his second season, as a 23yro?

Clearly you're the type that was clamoring for Hart to be dumped in a trade or non-tendered this past off-season, and probably one of those that thinks Hart is going to return top prospects at the deadline this year because he's hitting now. Baseball is a sport where shortsightedness, particularly with respect to performance, can be devastating to talent evaluation and even a few hundred at-bats or 100 innings pitched is a small enough sample to be inconclusive. Gordon Beckham WILL be a good baseball player. He has the pedigree, collegiate and minor-league track record, physical tools, and baseball skills to succeed. He has also demostrated the ability to put those skills together and perform well at the major league level for extended stretches. If you're selling on Beckham's future (and near future) because of a poor first half this year, I'm buying.

I have absolutely no interest in Beckham whatsoever.

You have no interest in an infielder who was an elite college player and top-10 overall pick, who raked in the few months he played in the minors before being called to the majors just a year after being drafted, who has the pedigree of a top 20 prospect, and who performed well as a 22yro just a year removed from college in his rookie season?

Just because he's had a bad first 300 at-bats in this season, his second season, as a 23yro?

Clearly you're the type that was clamoring for Hart to be dumped in a trade or non-tendered this past off-season, and probably one of those that thinks Hart is going to return top prospects at the deadline this year because he's hitting now. Baseball is a sport where shortsightedness, particularly with respect to performance, can be devastating to talent evaluation and even a few hundred at-bats or 100 innings pitched is a small enough sample to be inconclusive. Gordon Beckham WILL be a good baseball player. He has the pedigree, collegiate and minor-league track record, physical tools, and baseball skills to succeed. He has also demostrated the ability to put those skills together and perform well at the major league level for extended stretches. If you're selling on Beckham's future (and near future) because of a poor first half this year, I'm buying.

The primary reason that I have no interest in Beckham is the fact that the Brewers already have too many third basemen (yes I know he is playing second this year). I could see the Brewers acquiring Beckham, and then giving Gamel away- solely because he has been in Macha's doghouse for whatever reason. I think Gamel can be just as good, if not better than Beckham, and he's a left handed hitter- something the Brewers will have basically none of if Fielder is moved. I could care less about Beckham's 'pedigree'. All I see is a guy with a sub .250 batting average in 750 career plate appearances who hits a home run about once every 45 times at bat. 'Elite college players' and top-10 picks flop more often than not. That may or may not be the case with Beckham. He could be the next Robin Ventura as far as I'm concerned, but 3rd base is not a position of need for the Brewers right now. If they are going to give up Fielder, they had better get some legitimate pitching back (more than Hudson). I'm not giving away Fielder for a bunch of question marks. He has averaged 40 homers for the past 3 seasons, and is only 2 years older than Beckham. What I don't understand is this- If Fielder's trade value is as low is many here suggest, who is going to give him the huge contract after next season?

At any rate, I'm pretty skeptical as to the legitimacy of this rumor because Beckham is so highly regarded (overrated) in Chicago and Hudson is currently in the rotation.

By the way, I was not 'the type' that wanted Hart dumped for nothing this past off-season. The only way that I would have moved him is if someone would have absorbed Suppan's contract which would have never happened. I wanted Hart to be given another chance because frankly, the Brewers then as now don't have much organizational depth in the outfield (I have a feeling a lot of people will be disappointed in Lorenzo Cain, but that's for another topic) I felt the same about Hardy, but the way he got the shaft last year, moving him was a foregone conclusion. At this point, I don't want 'top prospects' for Hart either, I would prefer to keep him. Maybe it's because I'm a little older than the average poster here, but I'm always skeptical of acquiring these 'rated rookies' from other organizations. The reason for this is that most of them end up flopping. I'd rather keep the proven homegrown commodity over a 'phenom' who is not phenominal enough for another team to hold onto.

RockCoCougars wrote:

He could be the next Robin Ventura as far as I'm concerned, but 3rd base is not a position of need for the Brewers right now.
Left field isn't a position of need either, but they could still use Carl Crawford. The Blazers didn't need Michael Jordan because they had Clyde Drexler. Etc, etc.

Not wanting Beckham because he plays 3B is being shortsighted. If you can get a potential stud pitcher AND a potential future all star position player that would be great. As others have mentioned, someone is going to have to play 1B if Fielder is gone. The "logjam" at 3B would work itself out very easily in my opinion.

I'd rather keep the proven homegrown commodity over a 'phenom' who is not phenominal enough for another team to hold onto.

If Prince would sign a contract that would allow the Brewers to keep him without destroying the entire organization, I'm sure everyone here would like to keep him. Reality is that Prince will leave the Brewers after next season. If we trade him for another "proven commodity" (someone with 3 or 4 years of MLB experience) the Brewers will only have that player for a short period. The good thing about "major league ready" prospects is that a lot of the risk is gone... they've made it to the point that they are ready to take the step to the majors. Sure, there is still risk they won't perform to expectation, but much less risk than a draft pick.

Prince is a great player, but is one year of Prince worth 12 years of very well regarded prospects? On the other hand, Hart isn't a great player. He is a very streaky player who had a great first half to the 2010 season. We really don't know what we're giving up when we trade him, and the team receiving him doesn't really know what they're going to get. Locking Hart up based on this half season would be a very risky proposition. If we could get a Minor or Wade Davis for Hart, I think it would almost be highway robbery. But then again, I've said all along that desperate teams will do desperate things. The thought of playoffs will cloud the judgement of GMs, owners and fans, and wins now mean more than potential wins in the future. It's good to see that Melvin / Mark A are at least talking about taking advantage of this.

As far as the validity of this, as I mentioned in the original post, Buster Olney was doing a spotlight on Fielder, and he said much of it was speculation on his part. He did mention that he had spoken with Kenny Williams, but not necessarily about Prince Fielder, and he made it sound like Hudson was likely to be used in a trade for a LH bat (Dunn, Fielder). Olney threw Beckham's name in there at the end.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Beckham and Hudson would be a pretty solid package for Prince considering all the rumors Olney's heard about Fielder's value being low. I have a hard time believing the White Sox would trade Hudson in-season with Jake Peavy out the rest of the year, but maybe the Brewers could expand the deal to Fielder and Dave Bush and see if they can get an additional prospect or something.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I just don't get the hype about Beckham, now we are comparing him to MJ? I take it Gamel would be our Sam Bowie then. What makes any of you think that Beckham is so much better than Gamel or Weeks/ McGehee for that mater? 3b/2b is the only position where this organization has a logjam of talent, and you want to add another to the mix? For what it's worth, I don't believe this rumor has any legs anyway.

Again, if Fielder's trade value is 'so low', who is going to give him a huge contract in a year and a half? If a team won't give up significant talent now for a younger/cheaper Fielder for two pennant drives, what makes anyone think that someone is going to jump into the fray and offer him a long term 9-figure deal that significantly trumps the Brewers' offer? Is pitching worth that much?

I just don't get the hype about Beckham, now we are comparing him to MJ?

I take it Gamel would be our Sam Bowie then. What makes any of you

think that Beckham is so much better than Gamel or Weeks/ McGehee for

that mater? 3b/2b is the only position where this organization has a

logjam of talent, and you want to add another to the mix?

Again, one of these guys can play 1B. Who's going to replace Prince? And you're assuming that Weeks will stay long term as well.

So you'd pass on a potential trade because there are four guys that would be needed for three positions, without even considering a possible need in the OF, OR the possibility that some other moves could be made? Is this because Beckham has been awful in the first half? Don't look now, but he's heating up and it would be a mistake to dismiss him because of a bad half season at his age.

As far as the MJ/Sam Bowie stuff, that flew right over my head. I have no idea what you're talking about, or why you're acting as if people are comparing Beckham to MJ.

Archived