Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

Texas no longer has a starting 1B-man . . . but may not be able to take on Fielder's contract. Something to keep an eye on, though, if they're going for it this year as it seems.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the Brewers did deal Fielder to the Rangers, they'd probably have to take a similar contract back in return. It doesn't sound like they have much money left.

Not really sure if Texas would be looking to make another big trade, as it sounds like they gave up some pretty nice prospects already for Lee.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Texas no longer has a starting 1B-man . . . but may not be able to take on Fielder's contract. Something to keep an eye on, though, if they're going for it this year as it seems.

Chris Davis is hitting 354 with power in AAA. He'll be the 1B for Texas.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Chris Davis is hitting 354 with power in AAA. He'll be the 1B for Texas.

Not the first time Davis has torn up AAA . . . I would think a team with World Series ambitions would want more of a sure bet to produce offensively at 1B. It's not like CF, where Borbon was allowed to struggle at the plate initially this season because his defense was so valuable.

Not the first time Davis has torn up AAA . . . I would think a team with World Series ambitions would want more of a sure bet to produce offensively at 1B. It's not like CF, where Borbon was allowed to struggle at the plate initially this season because his defense was so valuable.
Except the Rangers have no room to add payroll to the team. You have to also take into account that a Fielder trade starts with Perez and Perez is off the table. The Rangers just are not a suitor anymore for Fielder maybe if the Brewers pay all of Prince's remaining salary for this year they would be able to get a deal done but the Rangers would still have to trade Perez and I am not sure the Rangers are willing to trade 2 of their best prospects in one season. It just doesn't make any sense for the Rangers to trade for Prince right now. Maybe they would trade for Hart and give up Font but I'm not sure if they would do that even. Evan Reed is probably a more realistic option in a trade involving Hart.

Fielder is not going to Texas.. because we won't take back contracts to even the money to make the move plausible. Heck, they probably would want us to take more money than Fielder's contract to even out the dollars from the Lee trade.

Doesn't make sense, wont work for either club.

Now, with top of the division teams making moves, that does rachet the pressure on teams in 2nd place to make moves to potentially trump them. Prince Fielder is a trump card. We are in a nice spot... if no one gives what we want... then you probably have to wait till winter. Caving in right now for a lesser deal is not the right move. But if a deal is close to ideal... you do have to take it. Just no silly deals for AAAA talent.

i dont really think texas talks start with perez. i dont really see a fit now that smoak has been traded but derek holland would be a pretty good start.
If the Brewers don't get Perez in a trade for Fielder to the Rangers then I don't see a trade at all. Holland is out right now with rotator cuff inflammation and that is not good if you are a pitcher. I don't see why the Brewers would start with Holland who is damaged goods right now. Holland if this was the off season would be a good start but not now. Really the Brewers should be shooting for Perez in a trade for Prince and with Perez that would give the Brewers a really good hard throwing pitching prospect to go a long with Odorizzi. The Brewers would then have a rather impressive 2012 pitching rotation of Gallardo, Parra, Perez, Odorizzi, Scarpetta/Rogers/Rivas/Arnett/etc. It would be rather young but it should be rather solid for the Brewers 2013 would probably be a better year for the Brewers pitching wise.

Buster Olney checks in with some Fielder-related tweets. Nothing we haven't really heard before, though:

Heard this: Brewers listening on Prince Fielder and Corey Hart, but have no interest in trading Rickie Weeks. Fielder's market value probably is much lower than what casual fans might think, because he's a FA after next year; he's a Scott Boras client, which means that he'll almost certainly test the market; and word is that Boras expects to get more for Fielder than the Howard 5/125 extension.

In other words, we should probably forget about Perez or any prospects like him.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I don't see the Rangers as a trading partner because of the bankruptcy issue unless the Brewers pick up all of Prince's salary and even then I don't know if it would be doable because of what Prince will make next year.

Didn't the Mariners agree to pay most of Lee's salary this season?

Buster Olney checks in with some Fielder-related tweets. Nothing we haven't really heard before, though:

Heard this: Brewers listening on Prince Fielder and Corey Hart, but have no interest in trading Rickie Weeks. Fielder's market value probably is much lower than what casual fans might think, because he's a FA after next year; he's a Scott Boras client, which means that he'll almost certainly test the market; and word is that Boras expects to get more for Fielder than the Howard 5/125 extension.

In other words, we should probably forget about Perez or any prospects like him.

So Fielders situation is exactly the same as Texeria's was. We should expect a similar return.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

So Fielders situation is exactly the same as Texeria's was. We should expect a similar return.
I wouldn't say exactly the same. For one, teams are a lot more protective of their prospects now than they were three years ago. Saltalamacchia, Andrus, and Harrison were the #1, 2, and 3 rated prospects in the Braves' system that year. They thought they had a chance at keeping him long term because Tex went to Georgia Tech, and that ended up being a mistake (and there won't be any such delusions when it comes to Fielder -- everyone knows he's gone, wherever he goes). The trade ended up being a massive failure for Atlanta -- they missed the playoffs and ended up trading him to the Angels for Casey Kotchman a year later. I'd be pretty surprised if any potential buyers didn't learn from that.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I wouldn't say exactly the same. For one, teams are a lot more protective of their prospects now than they were three years ago. Saltalamacchia, Andrus, and Harrison were the #1, 2, and 3 rated prospects in the Braves' system that year. They thought they had a chance at keeping him long term because Tex went to Georgia Tech, and that ended up being a mistake (and there won't be any such delusions when it comes to Fielder -- everyone knows he's gone, wherever he goes).

Quit spreading the lie that they thought Teixeira was going to sign. That wasn't one of the reasons and makes absolutely no sense at all that Teixeira would sign because he went to college at Georgia Tech it makes very little sense. If Teixeira was going to sign anywhere for a discount or for a long term where he was traded to it would have been Baltimore or the Nationals not the Braves.

Here is the real reason why the Braves traded for Teixeira they thought they were just a bat away from making a serious playoff push. The Braves thought they could make a push for the next two years for the World Series with Teixeira on their team they never had the delusion of Teixeira signing with them without going to free agency first. The Braves knew that Teixeira was going to be a free agent at the end of his contract they knew this. They didn't have any delusions that he was going to sign because he went to school at Georgia Tech. It made absolutely no sense then and it makes absolutely no sense now. I still don't know where people got this where they think the Braves thought they were going to be able to resign Teixeira because he went to Georgia Tech.

One solid prospect and a couple others is it for Prince, as the big market teams know they can sign him for free a year later.

I'm still shocked SEA only got one top 10 Rangers' prospect for Lee. TEX may have a deep system, but #2, 11, and 12 (at best) for Lee shocks me. I would would have thought at least a couple top 5's or 3 top 10's.

I am thinking we should hang onto Fielder and let him walk after 2011. Id rather get the enjoyment of one more year of having him in a Brewers uniform (and two comp picks) than a couple of AAAA pitchers.

What about the Angels? They could use a bat or two at first, DH, or third base. Maybe the Rangers deal puts more pressure on them to do a big trade. The Dodgers also could use some help at first or 3rd

I am thinking we should hang onto Fielder and let him walk after 2011.
If I am correct, the Brewers only have around $25 million committed to next season. Hart, Weeks and Fielder will all get very big arbitration raises. Lets say Hart ($7.5), Weeks ($5) and Fielder ($15). That puts the Brewers at $50. It also leaves Coffey, Bush, Counsell, Gerut, Hoffman, Inglett, Gomez and Villanueva on the outside. Obviously, it will cost some to replace to those players.

But if we can't sign Prince, can't we go hard after Cliff Lee? We could easily offer him 6 years and $120 million with all the money we are going to be saving with Prince leaving after 2011.

I'd much rather sign some high quality pitching, keep Prince, and make one last run at the playoffs. Plus, if Lee stays healthy, the Brewers could compete for the next 5 years with Lee and Yovani.

But if we can't sign Prince, can't we go hard after Cliff Lee? We could easily offer him 6 years and $120 million with all the money we are going to be saving with Prince leaving after 2011.

I'd much rather sign some high quality pitching, keep Prince, and make one last run at the playoffs. Plus, if Lee stays healthy, the Brewers could compete for the next 5 years with Lee and Yovani.

Well, you said it yourself. "If Lee stays healthy." Don't get me wrong, he's a great pitcher right now. But he's already 31 and has had some injury issues (including this season). Do we really want to be paying him $20 million or so when he's 36-37 years old?

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

BTW, since we've discussed the Rays quite a bit, I thought this blurb from MLB Trade Rumors was noteworthy:

Cafardo wouldn't be shocked if the Rays were willing to discuss trading Matt Garza, with Jeremy Hellickson waiting in the wings (2.21 ERA in 105.2 Triple-A innings). In exchange for an impact bat, the Rays appear more inclined to deal major league players than prospects. A National League scout tells Cafardo that the team has been "very willing to include B.J. Upton in trade talks" and may even think about moving Wade Davis, if the price was right.

They're willing to move a slightly above average about to be expensive player? Wow how generous of them! Or Wade Davis and his below replacement level production? Obviously Davis has upside but let's not pretend we're talking about major impacts to the Rays here.

Archived