Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

There is no need to replace Hart with a player in return for a Fielder trade. The Brewers have enough OF talent in the minors to replace Hart with. Cain, Gamel, and Lawrie just to name a few who could possibly replace Hart in RF Gamel probably being the only player who wouldn't be an upgrade over Hart in RF defensively. There really isn't a need to get a bat in return of Fielder unless Melvin is thinking of trading Weeks also and still then there is enough bats in the minors to fill those holes.

As of now, only Cain of the 3 you mentioned is an OF. Lawrie looks to replace Weeks in 2012, and Gamel could replace McGehee anytime. As for Cain, I see him as a potential answer in CF, something that remains to be seen with Gomez. Who does that leave, Gindl, Katin? While I like Gindl, the jury is still out on him and Katin doesn't look like anything special. That isn't to say that Gamel or Lawrie couldn't end up in the OF, but as of now, neither of them have any experience out there.

Moreover, the position player doesn't have to be an OF, I just gave a specific example that I seem to like. If they could get a prospect that plays 2B or 1B, it would work just as well. I do like the idea of Joyce because he's a left handed bat (and under control for at least 4 years). It also increases the likelihood of dealing Hart for anything of fair value.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whether it's this year or next it's going to take a decent young player already in the majors with 2 of a teams top 5 prospects or 3-4 of any teams top 10 prospects. (Well maybe not the Astros because I'm not sure they have 3-4 top ten prospects) We will get it too from a team in a pennant race if we choose to ever move him.

Don't get your hopes up on that. I seriously doubt Fielder brings that much in return. The Brewers would do far better to make sure they get at least one top-flight arm (regardless of MiLB level) than demand quantity.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

If I'm Melvin, I make it known that you need to go big or go home if you want Fielder. I want legitimate talent, with multiple arms that can break 90 on the gun- preferably including a 'plus' arm that has some MLB experience (this will probably only happen in the offseason). I'd rather just let Fielder walk than just settle for something like they did with Sheffield, Vaughn, and Sexson (though they got lucky on that one due to Sexson's utter collapse). I agree in the quality vs. quantity argument- I don't want a bunch of second rate prospects. That said, I expect more than one prospect for Fielder. Throughout baseball history, how many times has a superstar been traded for just one prospect? I can't think of any offhand- even in the Free Agency Era. Such a trade would be a humongous gamble, and I don't think Melvin would have the brass to pull the trigger as it could be a career ender for him, "He was the guy that traded Prince Fielder for xxxxxx. Hahahaha."

haudricourt says he wouldnt be surprised to see the white sox go after prince. kenny williams said he would rather win now than later and would give up his top prospects for someone to help him win. fielder certainly fits the bill. they really need a solid dh and prince could split time with konerko. i'd start the deal with dan hudson(102k in 88.1 ip), and 2 of tyler flowers/ dayan viciedo/ jordan danks/ jered mitchell/ brent morel. prince + a pitching prospect may get it done.

According to an article by Bob Warja of Bleacher report, sources within the Chicago White Sox organization have said that White Sox GM Kenny Williams is talking to the Brewers about a blockbuster trade for Fielder. The Sox would send a package of young player and are apparently willing to move prospects such as Jorndan Dands, Tyler Flowers, Dan Hudson and Dayan Viciedo.

Not sure how legit the report is and I'm sure even if it was, it would probably be a mix of the above prospects and maybe a player(s) like Gavin Floyd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/414414-chicago-white-sox-targeting-milwaukees-prince-fielder

Well, the one thing that gives it some credibility is that Kenny Williams is known for taking risks and making moves. That's why he's one of my favorite GMs, personally. Tom Haudricourt has also said he wouldn't be surprised if such a trade wasn't at least discussed.

However, if it comes from Bleacher Report, I take it with a HUGE grain of salt. This is the same website that reported a Zach Greinke trade to the Brewers was "imminent", and allowed someone to put up an article reporting that Carlos Zambrano had come out of the closet.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Sanchez is a guy I'm very surprised the Brewers are supposedly interested in. I liked the guy the last few years, but I went to look up his stats, and then bam, he's going to turn 28 in November! Now, he's a decent pitcher, but at 28, I don't want him in any Prince deal. I'm really hoping for young pitching in return.

Bleacher Report is horrible. They really need to just shut that site down. It's a bunch of people like us, with no info on what's going on inside the organization "writing articles" that look like they might sort of be credible.

Bleacher Report is horrible. They really need to just shut that site down. It's a bunch of people like us, with no info on what's going on inside the organization "writing articles" that look like they might sort of be credible.

I'm insulted that you would think the people who write Bleacher Report are like me

I'm insulted that you would think the people who write Bleacher Report are like me

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/laugh.gif

Just in the sense that they most likely have no idea what a front office is thinking, just like most of us. Though they make it sound like they do.

I really like Daniel Hudson, I'd take him for McGehee straight up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The difference is that some of the stuff posted over there would get you kicked off of this site.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I really like Daniel Hudson, I'd take him for McGehee straight up.

The White Sox wouldn't make that deal even before Peavy got hurt. Fielder made sense because they need a big lefthanded bat, and Konerko is a FA after this year. But now they need Hudson. If he performs well, he'll be very hard to get in the off-season. The Sox hate doing business with Boras too which makes Fielder less attractive to them.

Interesting article from Jeff Fletcher over at Fanhouse: "Brewers put Fielder, Hart, Weeks on table."

The Brewers approached the Angels to gauge their interest in Fielder

shortly after Kendry Morales was injured, but they were

rebuffed. The Brewers are expected to try to move Fielder because they

don't think they can re-sign him after 2011, but they may have to wait

until the offseason if no more enticing deals come up this month, the

source said. Fielder is a Scott Boras client,

so any team that acquires him is going to be unlikely to sign him

long-term before he tests the market after the 2011 season.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Yeah, Morales will be back next year, so the Angels won't need Fielder. They're probably more apt to aim for someone like Adam Dunn who will be a FA at the end of the year. I heard or read somewhere that they were looking at Konerko, but he's probably off the table with the White Sox back in it.

It is good to hear that Melvin is working the phones, and the article probably validates what many here are thinking... the extension talks are as good as over. Now we just see whether they get a good offer this season or if we wait until the offseason.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The Angels farm system has just 1 prospect, Mike Trout. They have no MLB ready pitching. They also need a 3B. They're just not that good anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Archived