Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

With the White Sox hot streak, not only does it take a competitor to Fielder of the market (Konerko), it could actually add a buyer in the White Sox themselves. Couple that with Prince's home run binge getting his trade value back up (shouldn't have been too low anyway), and there could be real opportunities.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I suppose that'd be an ok haul, though Sanchez is going to get expensive soon. How much longer would he be under control? Also Neal seems like a nice power hitter, but outfielder is hardly a position of need. Any chance he could move over to first base?

Well, there's been some worry that Melvin will want a pitcher who is already "major league proven," which would probably diminish the potential upside in the pitcher in exchange for less downside risk. Personally, I'd rather see them get higher upside potential and more service time, even if it means they won't be in the Brewers' rotation until 2012. Really, at this point we have six pitchers for the five spots in our rotation, so we don't need someone who is in the majors right now. Plus, most playoff bound teams aren't going to give up a good MLB pitcher, since they need them for the playoff push.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

If Melvin is really that worried about "saving face with the fans" and getting someone "MLB proven", get the other team to throw in a Kevin Mench type position player and get a higher upside pitcher or two with more years of control than Sanchez would give you.

Really, this situation is becoming so obvious and I'm so worried Melvin is just going to screw any potential trade up really badly by worrying about the immediate impact on attendance.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

While attendance is probably a concern, I'd guess his bigger worry would be trading for a high-upside AA arm who flames out and never reaches the majors. High risk / high reward.

I understand his concern, but right now we have plenty of "decent" options for the starting rotation for years to come, so I would like to see Fielder used to get a potential star. Of course, my job's not on the line, and I don't have to worry about going down in history as having made one of the worst trades in history. Could you imagine if Fielder ends up with 600+ HR and Melvin traded him for a couple of AA guys who never made the majors?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Well, that's where scouting and being judicious are part of a GM's job. Prince Fielder is a star player. He is heating up this year, and is probably going to finish yet again with over 40 homers and 100 RBIs. People talk like he's just OK or above average, when he's basically the best 1B in the NL not named Pujols.

I know nothing is guaranteed, either in baseball or in life; but we should be able to get at least one very high upside pitcher who seems likely to make the majors and have a decent career (like a Hellickson or Bumgarner type pitcher). Getting a guy like that would really augment what we already have in the minors with Rivas, Odorizzi, Jeffress, etc. If you can't get one high quality pitching prospect for Prince, maybe there is no point in dealing him to begin with, as the system is just incredibly stacked against the Brewers. May as well make one more run with Prince and take the draft picks is other teams are only willing to offer up questionable prospects for an elite hitter.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm with you, Invader... I think he should bring back some good prospects. I was just playing "devil's advocate" as to why Melvin may sometimes play it safe. Even top prospects sometimes flame out. That said, I still hope Melvin opts for the higer upside approach, even if there is more risk involved.

~Bill Walsh

I'm with you, Invader... I think he should bring back some good prospects. I was just playing "devil's advocate" as to why Melvin may sometimes play it safe. Even top prospects sometimes flame out. That said, I still hope Melvin opts for the higer upside approach, even if there is more risk involved.
I would argue that top prospects usually flame out- go back and look at the top prospect lists from more than a decade ago. Pitching prospects are even more risky due to injuries.

This is why I want some major league talent (not garbage like Mench) coming back as part of any deal for Fielder.

"MLB talent" for Fielder (imho) means lower-upside players, which to me is a waste of time. If you're not dealing for impact-talent players, just take the comp. draft picks for when you lose him in free agency.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, I'd rather take a chance on a prospect that has a chance to be great, than some guy with a much lower ceiling simply because it's "safe". This team has enough depth in the minors where Melvin should be able to take a risk and really boost the starting pitching depth.

Looks like we can forget that Sanchez rumor -- Buster Olney's latest says that's not enough for Fielder (MLB Trade Rumors, since it's Insider-only).

Olney says he doesn't see a match at all, with the Giants not willing to give up Matt Cain with Lincecum struggling lately, and Sanchez/Madison Bumgarner wouldn't be enough to get Fielder.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

It's going to cost at least a Madison Bumgarner to get Prince Fielder.

Regardless of his contract situation, you still have 1.5 years of one of the 3 best HR hitters in the major leagues. Any deal should bring back similar talent to a CC Sabathia trade - if it were less they aren't playing their cards right. This isnt a straight up rental, he still has a year.

I respectfully disagree that Bumgarner is enough for Fielder. You are going to trade one of the top power hitters in the game(proven) for a guy that has not won a major league game. He is far, far from proven commodity and you have to get at least two players, if not 3 for Fielder. I would say Sanchez, Bumgarner, Neal and Belt and they can have Bush too.

This isnt a straight up rental, he still has a year.

This is why I think they need to trade him this year, so that the team that takes him on doesn't view him as a rental.

I think Bumgarner would be a great start, but I'd be very hesitant trading the biggest chip you've had in years for only one player. I'd like to see at least 2 high ceiling pitching prospects back.

I think Bumgarner would be a great start, but I'd be very hesitant trading the biggest chip you've had in years for only one player. I'd like to see at least 2 high ceiling pitching prospects back.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm not hung up on only acquiring pitching for Fielder. My favorite fantasy trade notion for awhile now has been Fielder to the Rays for Wade Davis and Matt Joyce (with a few complementary pieces going back and forth). It gives you a left handed OF bat to replace Hart and a good, young pitcher (under control for 5 years) to slide in right behind Gallardo.

If the Brewers can acquire via trade a legitimate #2 starter that is ready to pitch in the bigs next year, I think their rotation will look much, much better. I have no problem penciling in Parra as the 3, with Narveson, Loe, Rivas, Rogers, among others battling for the last 2 spots. That being said, if that mythical #2 SP doesn't exist, I don't have an issue with receiving quality prospects in return, pitchers or position players.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I'm not hung up on only acquiring pitching for Fielder. My favorite fantasy trade notion for awhile now has been Fielder to the Rays for Wade Davis and Matt Joyce (with a few complementary pieces going back and forth). It gives you a left handed OF bat to replace Hart and a good, young pitcher (under control for 5 years) to slide in right behind Gallardo.

If the Brewers can acquire via trade a legitimate #2 starter that is ready to pitch in the bigs next year, I think their rotation will look much, much better. I have no problem penciling in Parra as the 3, with Narveson, Loe, Rivas, Rogers, among others battling for the last 2 spots. That being said, if that mythical #2 SP doesn't exist, I don't have an issue with receiving quality prospects in return, pitchers or position players.

There is no need to replace Hart with a player in return for a Fielder trade. The Brewers have enough OF talent in the minors to replace Hart with. Cain, Gamel, and Lawrie just to name a few who could possibly replace Hart in RF Gamel probably being the only player who wouldn't be an upgrade over Hart in RF defensively. There really isn't a need to get a bat in return of Fielder unless Melvin is thinking of trading Weeks also and still then there is enough bats in the minors to fill those holes.

I think our best bet is a couple AA pitchers with upside. I still don't think a power hitting 1B has very much trade value especially taking his poor defense into consideration.

Cain, Gamel, and Lawrie just to name a few who could possibly replace Hart in RF Gamel probably being the only player who wouldn't be an upgrade over Hart in RF defensively.

Hart isn't exactly good out there. I think all of those guys could conceivably be upgrades defensively. Gamel seemed to actually be a good fielder and looked athletic last year. His only problem on defense seemed to be throwing and that wouldn't be as big of a problem in the outfield. He also seemed to have a strong arm.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I respectfully disagree that Bumgarner is enough for Fielder. You are going to trade one of the top power hitters in the game(proven) for a guy that has not won a major league game. He is far, far from proven commodity and you have to get at least two players, if not 3 for Fielder. I would say Sanchez, Bumgarner, Neal and Belt and they can have Bush too.
I'm with you. Bumgarner may be a 'Rated Rookie', but I'm not sure he projects to be a top of the rotation type starter. I'd do Fielder and any starter currently on the staff besides Gallardo for Cain, that's about it. I think a lot of people here undervalue Fielder big time. I'm not giving away a guy who has averaged 40 homers a year for the past 4 for one prospect, regardless of how high the pundits rate them. Going further, why would the Giants even want Fielder this year? Huff is having a pretty nice year for them.

I think a lot of people here undervalue Fielder big time. I'm not giving away a guy who has averaged 40 homers a year for the past 4 for one prospect, regardless of how high the pundits rate them. Going further, why would the Giants even want Fielder this year? Huff is having a pretty nice year for them.

That is the problem though. Fielder has a really nice bat but there are plenty of replacements for less money and prospects out there. Not as good as Fielder obviously but close enough.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived