Brewer Fanatic

The trade value of Prince Fielder (part 1)

While the Brewers are going no where fast and it is looking more and more that with our current pitching staff we have no chance of competing this year or next, what a better time then to speculate where Prince is heading. (As all of the current first place teams are in the top half of team ERA, it shows that having the 7th ranked team batting average, as the Brewers currently do, it does you next to no good without any pitching. Therefor i really don't see any trade of value netting anything less than pitching.)

So what about trades like:

On Baseball America, The Rays have 4 pitchers in the top 70 (Jeremy Hellickson, Wade Davis, Matt Moore, Alex Colome) and the Rangers have 3 pitchers in the top 42 (Neftali Feliz, Martin Perez, Tanner Scheppers) … Could you get two of the pitchers in a deal with either team? I know Feliz is being used in relief with the rangers so I would expect that's a no. We need starters. But maybe asking for 2 starters is to much.

I would hate to see Prince go but it's inevitable isn't it? We really need better pitching. I mean look at the Rays and Padres. Their team batting average is under .250. They each only have 2 everyday players batting over .270. That is ridiculous. But they are in first. Obviously we will see what it looks like in September but team ERA typically tells the story.

What are your idea's?

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would love to swing a trade with the Rays. I hear a lot of good things about their prospects. Especially Hellickson and Davis (who is already in the bigs). I'm just not sure Tampa Bay would make a trade like that for a rental player like Prince, even though they would have him for a year and a half. Would be nice though.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The thing with the Rays is that they have publicly said they will be cutting back payroll this year (their attendance is relatively terrible and I'm sure there are other factors). I'm not sure they will be able to afford Fielder's salary for next year, so they might not be willing to give up much to get him since they might have to flip him in the off-season.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The thing with the Rays is that they have publicly said they will be cutting back payroll this year (their attendance is relatively terrible and I'm sure there are other factors). I'm not sure they will be able to afford Fielder's salary for next year, so they might not be willing to give up much to get him since they might have to flip him in the off-season.

The Rays can't afford Fielder's salary this year either. The Rays are already the best team in baseball. They don't need to add salary.

The thing is that Fielder would put the Rays over the top and probably lock up the tough AL East for them. Sure they're in first place, but the Yankees are nipping right at their heels. He would also be a tremendous help to them in the post-season. If salary is really that big an issue, the Brewers could take a player back who is already making some money this season (Upton?), though that should call for an additional or higher quality prospect coming back in return.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The thing is that Fielder would put the Rays over the top and probably lock up the tough AL East for them. Sure they're in first place, but the Yankees are nipping right at their heels. He would also be a tremendous help to them in the post-season. If salary is really that big an issue, the Brewers could take a player back who is already making some money this season (Upton?), though that should call for an additional or higher quality prospect coming back in return.
If I am the Rays, I don't worry so much about winning the division, as just making the playoffs. And at that the Rays are 5 games ahead of the wildcard. So I doubt they make a move for Fielder, but......

if they see the Yankees using the Nick Johnson injury as an excuse to go after Prince

or they want Prince to ensure the best record so they get to play the AL West in the first round

Maybe the Rays have some overpriced, bench/bullpen MLB player they could send back to the Brewers to remove the payroll concern. And obviously if the Brewers are going to take back some salary that would mean they could demand better prospects.

Curious to know who is under-performing for the Red Sox that we might be able to get in a package deal. I know Lars Anderson is doing really well after a poor year last year. But it'd be nice to get a package of 3-4 of the players Boston offered Seattle for Felix last year if we decide to package Prince in July.

Curious to know who is under-performing for the Red Sox that we might be able to get in a package deal. I know Lars Anderson is doing really well after a poor year last year. But it'd be nice to get a package of 3-4 of the players Boston offered Seattle for Felix last year if we decide to package Prince in July.
Problem is, Sox can't take Prince without moving Ortiz, which they seem unwilling to do.

I don't think Ortiz would be able to even play 1B at this point. Would you want him just to flip him?

A 3-team deal involving the Red Sox, Brewers, and Mariners would fit. The Mariners need a DH and it would fit. The Brewers or the Red Sox would probably get a low A ball prospect in return for Ortiz and maybe a AAAA type player in return for him.

What about trading prince to the Braves? They've got lots of arms I'd be interested in...Delgado, Teheran, and Vizcaino in particular. 14 of their top 20 prospects are pitchers! Plus, if we wanted a 1st Baseman to replace Prince, they have Freddy Freeman.

I don't think Ortiz would be able to even play 1B at this point. Would you want him just to flip him?

A 3-team deal involving the Red Sox, Brewers, and Mariners would fit. The Mariners need a DH and it would fit. The Brewers or the Red Sox would probably get a low A ball prospect in return for Ortiz and maybe a AAAA type player in return for him.

I'm not sure the Mariners or anyone at this point will touch Ortiz and to move him at all the Sox would have to eat his entire salary if they pray to get anyone to bite even for a low level prospect.

With the way Fielder has hit this year and the cautious nature people have for larger 1B who field particularly poorly I actually think Boras and Prince may find a much colder market than they are expecting in FA and that might carry over to what we could get in any trade offers as well.

What about trading prince to the Braves? They've got lots of arms I'd be interested in...Delgado, Teheran, and Vizcaino in particular. 14 of their top 20 prospects are pitchers! Plus, if we wanted a 1st Baseman to replace Prince, they have Freddy Freeman.

I'm going to guess you read my tweet on Twitter. @jordo2323

It's almost verbatim the above message. I agree.

As another option I see Baltimore. They have been really open to spending money and a package of Tillman, Hobgood, and Brandon Snyder might do it for me.

There was an article linked on MLBTR suggesting that the Rangers would/might part with Smoak if it put them over the top this year.

What about Fielder for Smoak? It doesn't address the pitching, but 6 years of a top prospect for 1.5 of Fielder is intriguing.

Why would Texas trade Smoak? Baltimore might sign Fielder in FA but they are so far buried in the AL East right now it makes no sense to trade for him. The Braves really don't have a pale to play Fielder right now. You're basically left with the Giants and maybe teh Dodgers at this point. Maybe the A's if they get on a run.

Why would Texas trade Smoak?
They are getting nothing out of 1B. If they think Fielder for the rest of this season and next season gives them better chance of winning and a legit shot they could certainly move prospects for Fielder. I wouldn't do it, but I wouldn't have traded for Sabathia either and we did. They are having some financial issues but with expiring contracts and all of the young pitching in upper part of their system they could certainly resign Fielder as well as they won't have to spend money on pitching.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Well, they are currently in first place in the AL West. Acquiring Prince by mid-season would certainly seem like a move that would put them over the top. I would gladly take Smoak back if he actually seems like a legit prospect (I admit to not knowing a lot about him, but have heard he seems like a solid 1B). I think we'd definitely need to get a pitcher back along with him as well, otherwise it's relatively pointless. Smoak/Scheppers seems like it would be a nice return as suggested, though I'm not sure if Texas would do it. Seems like it would be a fair deal to me.

As far as the Red Sox, I hope people are noticing that Ortiz seems to be hitting again. I think the likelihood of the Red Sox dealing for a 1B/DH type mid-season is becoming less and less likely.

Well, they are currently in first place in the AL West. Acquiring Prince by mid-season would certainly seem like a move that would put them over the top. I would gladly take Smoak back if he actually seems like a legit prospect (I admit to not knowing a lot about him, but have heard he seems like a solid 1B). I think we'd definitely need to get a pitcher back along with him as well, otherwise it's relatively pointless. Smoak/Scheppers seems like it would be a nice return as suggested, though I'm not sure if Texas would do it. Seems like it would be a fair deal to me.
I don't see Scheppers being in the same deal as Smoak. I believe the Brewers could get something like this Smoak , Wilmer Font and Evan Reed. With Reed he is either a starter or a reliever and with Font you have a #2 or #3 type pitcher though Reed has the higher upside with #1 or ace like stuff.

I love this description from texasleaguers.com about Reed though he does have his command issues I still wouldn't mind getting him kind of reminds me of Jeffress and Parra in terms of potential with the same problems that Parra and Jeffress have.

Evan Reed. RHP, 6' 4",

225 lbs, Born: December 31, 1985. Drafted out of Cal Poly by the Texas

Rangers in the third round of the 2007 MLB First-Year Player Draft, Evan

Reed had been a closer, but he was promptly pushed into the

short-season Spokane rotation after a quick start. Reed earned a

promotion to Low A Clinton after only 7 appearances. His strikeout rate

dropped from 11.7 per 9 innings to only 5.0 per 9 innings, but his

results improved everywhere else.

2008 saw Reed struggle in the High A

Bakersfield rotation. He has special stuff, but he struggles to control

it. His fastball is typically a 92-95 mph pitch that often looks like

it's moving faster when it gets to the plate than when it left his hand -

amazing life. Reed's off-speed pitches have looked like pitches with

plus potential at times, but more often than not, he has struggled to

harness the two.

Walks and deep counts hurt Reed's pitch

counts and his ERA, so the Rangers moved him back to the bullpen for

2009 - for now, at least. Still only 23, Reed has the stuff to make up

ground and jump back into a rotation, but he needs to find a way not

only to control his stuff but to command it as well.

I doubt they could even get Smoak for Prince straight up. If they could, I'd do that deal tomorrow.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The problem with trading Fielder was summed up by Homer today - without him meaning to - when while discussing trading Prince and talking about his replacement Homer and Mitch (ESPNMilwaukee.com) said "it doesnt matter who replaces him, finding a decent hitting 1b isnt that hard"

The Giants really don't have anything the Brewers would love outside of Baumgartner who isn't being moved and Posey who is unlikely to be moved and the Brewers would then need to move a catcher. Zack Wheeler is a 2009 HS pick with a 95 mph fastball but command issues and no 3rd pitch and is years away (though already 20 despite being a 2009 pick out of HS). The Giants gave him $3.3m so who knows if they would trade him even. The Giants also have bunch of OF prospects that could be included but most of them are seriously struggling in AA right now.

Archived