Brewer Fanatic

Alumni Thread

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Hernan Iribarren gets a minor league deal with a big league spring training invite with the Rockies.

To be honest, there have been many unmentioned moves involving the alumni who appear in the initial post in this thread during this offseason. As in past years, look for the entire list of links to be updated a week or two into the regular season with a 2011 version of the thread, which of course will include Brett Lawrie, Jake Odorizzi, etc., along with all the obscure names you're used to on the list.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Updating this Darren Ford story from last summer --

Rotoworld:

Giants outfield prospect Darren Ford has been accepted into pretrial diversion in New Jersey for felony theft charges.

Because he had no prior record, Ford can avoid prison if he avoids trouble and repays the $2,297.93 in auto parts that he stole from a car dealership that employed him. The 25-year-old outfielder posted a strong .849 OPS in 101 games at Single-A in 2009 but his numbers fell off when he was promoted to Double-A last season. The guy doesn't have a very bright future.

While we can't keep up with the indy league signings of all past alumni, we will mention when a recently released player finds new work in the indy ranks.

Reliever Rob Currie, released in December (link shows how oddly similar his two pro seasons were) signed with the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League (Crestwood, IL).

Updating this Darren Ford story from last summer --

Rotoworld:

Giants outfield prospect Darren Ford has been accepted into pretrial diversion in New Jersey for felony theft charges.

Because he had no prior record, Ford can avoid prison if he avoids trouble and repays the $2,297.93 in auto parts that he stole from a car dealership that employed him. The 25-year-old outfielder posted a strong .849 OPS in 101 games at Single-A in 2009 but his numbers fell off when he was promoted to Double-A last season. The guy doesn't have a very bright future.

not as good as stealing auto parts as he is at stealing bases, apparently

While we can't keep up with the indy league signings of all past alumni, we will mention when a recently released player finds new work in the indy ranks.

LH reliever Caleb Thielbar, who was a bit of a surprise release after the 2010 season, has signed with perhaps the most infamous of indy league teams, the St. Paul Saints of the American Association.

From the Cape Cod Times:

[Matt] Costello[/b], a southpaw, was stunned when Milwaukee called him shortly before Christmas and told him the bad news.

In A-ball last summer for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers of the Midwest League, Costello went 3-4, 3.66, pitching 46 2/3 innings in 29 appearances. He struck out 37, walked 17 and gave up 39 hits.

Costello was sent up to high-A Brevard County of the Florida State League for one appearance at the end of the season.

“I thought I had done well enough to continue on,” he said. “They said they didn't see me pitching on a big-league staff.”

He has secured a spot with the Windy City Thunderbolts of the Frontier League, which begins its 98-game season May 1. He said the Thunderbolts have had 16 guys picked up by major league organizations.

Right now, Costello is in St. Petersburg, Fla., playing with a 10-15 others hopefuls, all trying to hook on with major league clubs.

“We scrimmage against junior colleges and four-year schools,” he said. “There have been a few scouts here and there.”

But he's not lacking in confidence.

“I pitched in Triple-A in spring training and did fine,” he said. “I do believe I can get big league hitters out. I just need a chance.”

Costello spent one year at Valdosta State in Georgia and had a monster offensive year, but the Brewers projected him as a left-handed pitcher (he went 9-3 at Valdosta) and he agreed.

“I'm definitely a better pitcher than a hitter,” he said. “I can hit with aluminum bats, but with wood it's a different story.”

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Mass Haas wrote:
RHP Garrett Sherrill, released just prior to spring training this year, has found an independent ball home with the Lake County (Gurnee, IL) Fielders, the new expansion team of the independent Northern League.

That team's claim to fame? It's co-owned by actor Kevin Costner.

Sherrill was traded to the Lincoln Saltdogs of the AAIPB.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

As per Baseball America --

Reliever Omar Aguilar (career stats), who was dealt to Cleveland in the Chuck Lofgren deal last spring, was released by the Indians. Just 26 years old yesterday, he can still strike batters out and limit base hits.

LHP Edwin Walker, at the time a high schooler in 2002 when drafted in the 9th round by Milwaukee, was released by Houston. His tale of perseverence here.

Not an alumni, but the Angels released this 30-year-old journeyman pitcher. The Brewers should consider bringing him on board. Plus, he's Canadian.

Again, not an alumni, but the Twins released this LHP. The Brewers should sign him, in order to have a glut of Brett Carroll's.

Aguilar could be interesting, his decline was alarmingly abrupt, he looked so promising in 2008.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Archived