Brewer Fanatic

Alumni Thread

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff
22-year-old reliever Rob Bryson continues to put up silly-good numbers since his promotion to high-A for the Indians. He may end up the jewel of the Sabathia deal for Cleveland.

The major league press writing about Bryson, who is at high-A Kinston:

Kinston reliever Rob Bryson’s strikeout rate has actually gone up in recent days. In 11 appearances Bryson is averaging 17 strikeouts per nine innings (34 strikeouts in 18 innings). He has only given up six hits and opposing batters are hitting .103 against him.

55 K's, 10 walks in 31.1 innings in his two stops combined in 2010...

Update on Jamey Wright, was DFA by Cleveland, signed by the A's and now with AAA Sacramento.

Also Saul Rivera was DFA by the Diamondbacks and demoted to AAA Reno.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Congratulations to Jason Bourgeois, playing in the major leagues for his hometown Astros after posting monster numbers at AAA Round Rock. We shouldn't get overly dramatic and lament Houston's waiver claim of him last fall, but the right-handed bat would've been helpful during the Adam Stern era in Milwaukee, maybe the difference in a game or two (OK, or one).

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Good luck to Cole Gillespie, back up with the D-Backs

Rotoworld:

Diamondbacks recalled OF Cole Gillespie from Triple-A Reno.

He'll take the place of Ryan Roberts on the 25-man roster. Gillespie batted .256/.310/.462 with one home run and four RBI in 39 at-bats with the big club earlier this season. The 25-year-old outfielder figures to get more playing time in his second stint with the club now that Conor Jackson has been dealt to the Athletics.

RHP Roque Mercedes, the other player in the Felipe Lopez deal, is having a non-descript middle relief season at AA.

Congratulations to Jason Bourgeois, playing in the major leagues for his hometown Astros after posting monster numbers at AAA Round Rock. We shouldn't get overly dramatic and lament Houston's waiver claim of him last fall, but the right-handed bat would've been helpful during the Adam Stern era in Milwaukee, maybe the difference in a game or two (OK, or one).
Bourgeois might have been worth a win or two over Carlos Gomez.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Cleveland's Rob Bryson (and his ridiculous strikeout numbers -- 55 in 31.1 innings) was placed on the disabled list Monday with a right shoulder strain. His manager said he might return to action in five to six days.

NOTE: No pitcher ever is allowed to return that quickly from a shoulder strain.

Cleveland's Rob Bryson (and his ridiculous strikeout numbers -- 55 in 31.1 innings) was placed on the disabled list Monday with a right shoulder strain. His manager said he might return to action in five to six days.

NOTE: No pitcher ever is allowed to return that quickly from a shoulder strain.

The shoulder strain and elbow tendinitis are my least favorite diagnosis. I sincerely hope Rob is able to put his injuries behind him and have a successful career.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Darren Ford arrested, charged with theft

Vineland Daily Journal

VINELAND - Minor league baseball player Darren Ford turned himself into police and was arrested on charges of making a false police report, theft and other offenses.

In November, Ford had reported he was robbed of a bank deposit bag from RK Chevrolet, where he was employed at the time, during an errand stop at the Department of Motor Vehicles office.

See tomorrow's The Daily Journal for the full report.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This is the story on Ford from last November -- now apparently a big lie, another fire for agent Josh to put out --

Minor league baseball prospect victim of armed robbery in Vineland

VINELAND, NEW JERSEY — An armed robber held up minor-league baseball player Darren Ford at gunpoint last week and fled with a bank deposit bag, $300 in cash and a cell phone, police said.

Police have not said how much money was in the bank deposit bag. The robbery took place at 12:15 PM Nov. 18 at the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission office at 76 W. Landis Ave.

Police said Ford, 24, who works during the off-season at RK Chevrolet, was carrying a bank deposit bag with him from the dealership when he stopped at the NJMVC office.

Ford said a gunman, whom he identified as black or Hispanic, pointed a double-barreled shotgun at him and demanded he turn over his belongings, according to police.

Police said the suspect fled in a car.

No other description of the suspect or the vehicle was available.

Ford, a rising prospect for the San Francisco Giants, was added to the team’s 40-man roster last Friday.

Ford, a former Vineland High School star, hit .300 with nine home runs, 50 RBIs and 35 stolen bases for San Jose, a member of the Class-A Advanced California League this year. The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder was selected as the 526th pick of the 18th round by the Brewers in the 2004 amateur draft. Milwaukee traded him to the Giants in July 2008.

Police are asking that anyone who was in the area of 76 W. Landis Ave. that day contact Detective Kristin Kirchner at 856-691-4111, ext. 4656

Crime Stoppers of Vineland is offering a reward of up to $1,000 for information leading to the arrest of the suspects. Crime Stoppers telephone number is 856-691-0345.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Vineland minor league baseball player Darren Ford charged with lying about robbery

Atlantic City Press

In March, Vineland's Darren Ford came off a spring training where he hit .500 and was considered one of the San Francisco Giants' most outstanding minor league baseball players.

Now, Ford faces charges that he lied to Vineland police when he told them he was robbed of $300 at gunpoint last fall.

In November, Ford told police he was carrying a bank deposit bag from RK Chevrolet when he stopped at a state Motor Vehicle office before going to the bank. Then, a gunman pointed a double-barreled shotgun at him and demanded he turn over his belongings, Ford said.

Police say the Nov. 18 robbery did not happen that way. They charged Ford on July 2 with making false reports to law enforcement officers, obstruction of administration of law, conspiracy, and theft by failure to make proper disposition of property received.

Ford was released that same day on a summons complaint.

The 24-year-old is the starting center fielder for the Richmond Flying Squirrels, the Giants' double-A affiliate. He led off for Richmond on Wednesday in their game in Harrisburg, Pa.

Ford returned to Richmond on Saturday and missed just one game last Friday.

When reached by phone, Ford would not comment and referred any questions to his lawyer, Henry Hockeimer, who also declined comment.

Representatives from the Flying Squirrels could not be reached for comment.

Heading into Wednesday's game, Ford was hitting .236 with four home runs, 26 RBIs and 26 stolen bases in 77 games.

Ford was added to the Giants' 40-man roster in November. In more than five seasons in the minors, Ford is a career .266 hitter with 32 home runs, 248 RBIs and 277 stolen bases. Speed has been Ford's biggest asset as he's averaged 50.2 stolen bases during his first five minor league seasons.

He won the Harry S. Jordan award this spring given annually to the top Giants player in his first major-league spring training camp.

The 5-foot-11, 195-pounder was selected as the 526th pick of the 18th round by the Brewers in the 2004 amateur draft. Milwaukee traded him to the Giants in July 2008.

Police released information about the charges Wednesday and said the investigation is continuing. No other information would be released, police said.

A commenter on the newspaper site said Ford should stick to stealing bases. Alas, this is also probably a commentary on minor league salaries, although obviously that's no excuse.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

More details (and quotes) here --

Vineland baseball star chargedBy JOSH FRIEDMAN and KRISTI FUNDERBURK, DailyJournal.com (N.J.) Staff Writers

VINELAND -- A standout Vineland High School baseball player who has spent several years in the minor leagues made up a story about being robbed at gunpoint outside the city's Motor Vehicle Commission office last fall, police said.

Darren Ford, 24, has been charged with conspiracy, filing a false report and other offenses, Vineland police Detective Lt. Thomas Ulrich said Wednesday.

Ford, the starting center fielder for the Double A Richmond Flying Squirrels, an affiliate of the San Francisco Giants, said Wednesday he's innocent.

The VHS graduate has played in every game since being charged Friday.

"It's a distraction," he said. "It shouldn't be going on. I'm just going to try to take care of this as quickly as possible and get back to doing what I do best."

On Nov. 18, Ford told police someone robbed him at gunpoint in the parking lot of the Motor Vehicle Commission office on West Landis Avenue. He claimed someone stole a bank deposit bag belonging to his then-employer, RK Chevrolet, his cell phone and $300 in cash.

Police said Wednesday the story was made up.

Ford has been charged with making false police reports to police, obstruction of administration of law, conspiracy, and theft by failure to make proper disposition of property received, Ulrich said.

Ulrich declined to explain how police came to charge Ford.

"I'm not going to comment on the specifics, but the investigation led to the conclusion that this was a falsely reported act," Ulrich said.

The bank deposit bag Ford reported stolen still has not been recovered, Ulrich said. He wouldn't say how much money was in the bag, but noted it would range between $500 and $75,000 because the theft was a third-degree offense.

Ulrich also wouldn't explain the details of Ford's conspiracy charge other than to confirm that such a charge means a suspect plotted the incident with another person.

Ulrich said RK Chevrolet was not the co-conspirator.

"RK Chevrolet is an innocent victim," he added.

Employees at the Delsea Drive car dealership referred comments to general manager Jim Gee, who could not be reached Wednesday.

Ford took a job at RK Chevrolet as a lot attendant last October. He told The Daily Journal in late November -- shortly after he reported the robbery to police -- that he took the job at RK "to stay busy and make sure I stay out of trouble."

Ford is now in his sixth season in the minor leagues. He came to the Giants organization in a trade with the Milwaukee Brewers in 2008. He was added to San Francisco's 40-man roster just two days after the November incident was reported to police.

Ford has played 77 games with Richmond this season.

He turned himself in to Vineland police Friday afternoon after he was notified of the complaints. Police processed and released him pending court action.

"I know I'm not guilty," Ford said Wednesday. "I'm not worried about the situation."

Ford has played in every one of the Squirrels' games since being charged and was in the Squirrels' lineup Wednesday in Harrisburg, Pa.

Richmond General Manager Bill Papierniak said he was unaware of Ford's legal issues, but Bobby Evans, vice president of baseball operations for the San Francisco Giants, said the organization knew about it but didn't plan to take any action until the matter was resolved.

"In general, whenever there are accusations made against a player or charges brought against a player, the organization awaits the investigation and the results," Evans said. "There is really no action to be taken until we know the results of the investigation."

Evans said Ford wouldn't see less playing time either. San Francisco has been very pleased with Ford, he said.

"Darren Ford has been an excellent addition to the Giants organization," Evans said. "He has in every way performed on the field and in the clubhouse and in spring training as a professional."

Ulrich said all the charges Ford faces are indictable and would be handled at the Superior Court level, though Vineland police are still investigating the incident.

"The next action is up to the Prosecutor's Office," he said. "It's in their hands now."

Cumberland County Prosecutor Jennifer Webb-McRae declined to comment.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It doesn't get much better than when released farmhands go the independent route, perfrom really well, and then find their way back to affiliated ball.

That's the case for RHP Patrick Ryan (career stats prior to 2010), the newest Red Sox prospect.

RYAN SHIPPING UP TO BOSTON

Bluefish pitcher has contract purchased

(Bridgeport, Conn. – July 8, 2010) – Bridgeport (CT) Bluefish team officials today announced that pitcher Pat Ryan has had his contract purchased by the Boston Red Sox organization. The righthander will report to High-A Salem of the Carolina League.

“We are very glad for Pat and wish him the best of luck,” says Bluefish manager Willie Upshaw. “He has transitioned extremely well into the starting role and has been a solid anchor for this pitching staff.”

Ryan appeared in 19 games (six starts) for the Bluefish in 2010, posting a 5-1 record, while holding opposing hitters to a .183 batting average over the course of 58.1 innings of work. After beginning the year in the bullpen, he acclimated well to the starting rotation, becoming one of the Atlantic Leagues top hurlers. Pat led the league with a 1.39 ERA and ranked fourth with 65 strikeouts.

In 21 appearances last year with the Bluefish, the righthander recorded an impressive 0.73 ERA with 25 strikeouts, four saves and held opposing hitters to a .204 batting average over 24.1 innings pitched. Ryan joined the ‘Fish after spending the majority of 2009 with West Tennessee (AA, Mariners) of the Southern League. In 2008, the 26-year-old made his first appearance at the Double-A level with Huntsville (Brewers) of the Southern League. In 39 games, he posted a 2.52 ERA with six saves and 38 strikeouts over 61 innings of work. In 207 career minor league appearances, Ryan has a record of 23-17 with a 2.60 ERA. He has recorded 20 saves and 311 strikeouts over 391.1 innings pitched, while holding opposing sluggers to a .234 batting average.

Congrats to Patrick, hard work does pay off quite often...

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

KRISTV.com (Corpus Christi, TX)

Astros Audition: Calallen Grad Tries Out

WESLACO - Former Calallen pitcher Kristian Bueno will be the first to tell you that being released wasn't easy for him. Drafted in the ninth round by the Milwaukee Brewers in 2007, the organization let him go in early June following a rehab start with the club's Arizona League (rookie level) team. He'd been nursing a pulled rib-cage muscle.

Now, he's hoping the Astros take a chance on him. Bueno pitched Thursday at an Astros tryout camp at Weslaco East High School under the watchful eye of Houston scout Rusty Pendergrass, consistently throwing in the 91-93 mile per hour range.

"This is my second tryout with the Astros here. I did the one in the Woodlands on the 10th. It didn't go so good. It was a little rough," he said, noting that he he topped out in the mid-80's during the first tryout. "I worked on some pitching during the week and came out here and I think I had a pretty fair performance."

"I hadn't been to one of these since I was 18 and I'm 21 now," he added. "I was just trying to get back into the rhythm of how these things work, warming up quicker on the mound. You only have 15 pitches to really impress somebody."

Bueno struggled as a starter in the Brewers system, going winless in 10 starts during his first two seasons for the AZL Brewers. He improved as a reliever in 2009 while pitching for Milwaukee's Pioneer League affiliate in Helena, Montana, notching 22 strikeouts in 24 innings pitched. However, he still gave up 15 runs and walked 19 batters.

He's hoping he can get a fresh start with the Astros, the team he rooted for growing up. Pendergrass wouldn't divulge his intentions toward Bueno after the tryout.

"He's left handed. That's all I will say," he said. "I can't give any secrets away."

"It's kind of up in the air right now. We don't really know much now. I'm just hoping I get a chance to play for the Astros," Bueno said. "They know I live in Corpus and Double-A is the Corpus Christi Hooks. I think that would be really cool. To play in Houston, that would be a dream."

http://www.kristv.com/images/thumbnails/B1D6E42A85AF7B7491407871161EA53A_250_250.jpg

Archived