Brewer Fanatic

2010-05-17 Brewers (Gallardo) at Reds (Cueto), 6:10 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 6-3]

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

marc newfield of dreams, I don't get why it'd be different. The team is still virtually the same as it was in our playoff year. Yet that team exceeded expectations. The pitching staff--on paper--is actually better!

1- Yo=Sheets

2- Wolf=Suppan

3- Bush=Bush

4-Davis/Parra=Villanueva/McClung

5- Suppan/Narveson=Parra

Through 38 games they were 19-19. They were without Gallardo and were almost 2 months from acquiring Sabathia. This year they are now 15-23. To say we're only maybe underachieving by 1 or two games is foolish....unless that 2008 squad was overachieving by 5-7 games? Yost was nearly fired in Boston for a 20-24 record. Both teams featured a closer meltdown (Gagne and Hoffman). Both featured underperforming pitchers. Without analyzing middle relievers and setup men, the major differences are Hardy v Escobar, Hall v McGehee, Kendall v Zaun/Kotteras, Cameron v Gomez, and allstar Hart v. "pretty darn good" Hart. Of those offensive changes, we're currently better at 3b and C. SS is a wash since Hardy was in his usual awful 1st half (since he always likes to be a pull hitter in the first half). The only downgrades are RF and CF. Guillermo Mota wasn't very good in the pen, so it wasn't a perfect pen.

I just don't get it. I feel weird. For the second straight year I'm unhappy with the team's effort. I remained optimistic through 90 and 100-loss seasons, always finding the positives. Yet I am on the verge of giving up before June for the second straight year! I hate giving up, because I'm a diehard and optimist...but these two years have given me no reasons for optimism

Archived