Brewer Fanatic

Rangers need a veteran catcher

I see an opportunity here. The Rangers are loaded with young pitching. They are also desperate for a veteran catcher. I believe the Brewers could get by with Kottaras and Lucroy.

Why not package Zaun and Parra (history with Maddux) for one of their excess young pitchers? They probably wouldn't part with a Holland or a Tommy Hunter but they might surrender a Michael Kirkman (4-0, 2.56 ERA at AAA) or a Guillermo Moscoso. They might even be willing to part with 30 year old Colby Lewis to make room in their rotation for Hunter if the Brewers sweetened the offer a bit.

It's an intriguing idea. I hear Saltalamacchia is looking like a mess right now in AAA, so it sounds like they could use some extra catching depth. Seems like there should be some kind of fit for a trade.

Right. Saltalamacchia is suffering from the inability to throw the ball back to the pitcher. Supposedly, they'd inquired about Pierzynski so you know they are willing to deal.

I agree about this being a great opportunity. And I believe there will many opportunities and important decisions over the next couple months. The question is does Mark A. trust DM to make these critical decisions that may shape the franchise over the next several years. Knowing DM, he will trade Zaun, not for a pitcher, but a backup RHH outfielder because we've had some injuries there.

I agree about this being a great opportunity. And I believe there will many opportunities and important decisions over the next couple months. The question is does Mark A. trust DM to make these critical decisions that may shape the franchise over the next several years. Knowing DM, he will trade Zaun, not for a pitcher, but a backup RHH outfielder because we've had some injuries there.

You are not going to get much in return for Zaun if you are looking for a pitcher. You are looking at someone like Dillard at best in return for Zaun. So trading for a positional player may actually give you more value than trading for a pitcher. I'm sorry but you are expecting way to much if you are thinking you are going to get anything of value in terms of pitching for Zaun.

You are not going to get much in return for Zaun if you are looking for a pitcher. You are looking at someone like Dillard at best in return for Zaun. So trading for a positional player may actually give you more value than trading for a pitcher. I'm sorry but you are expecting way to much if you are thinking you are going to get anything of value in terms of pitching for Zaun.
Did you miss that I included Parra in the proposal? Granted he's not worth much either, but given Maddux is in Texas and that they have a need for a catcher, you do have some leverage. I also wouldn't be opposed to tossing in a marginal prospect either.

Did you miss that I included Parra in the proposal? Granted he's not worth much either, but given Maddux is in Texas and that they have a need for a catcher, you do have some leverage. I also wouldn't be opposed to tossing in a marginal prospect either.
Wasn't really responding to your post but yeah I did see Parra in there also you are still not going to get all that much in a return with Zaun being the main piece. You may be able to get a good reliever or a #5 or #6 type of a starter if you throw in Parra. So you would be trading a starting catcher and a #5 or a #6 type pitcher in Parra (as of right now Parra is a #5 or a #6 starter potential is there for a #2 or #3 type starter) for a positional player or a pitcher. If you are going for a starting pitcher you are probably going to get a #4 at best.

I'm not sure the return would be worth trading both Zaun and Parra together.

Word on the street here is that they have their eyes on Pierzynski.

It's not in Kenny Williams DNA to give up on the season this early. Besides, the Sox need hitting and AJ is still one of their better hitters.

I still think Zaun would be a good option for them. But instead of a young pitcher, maybe the Brewers would be looking at their relief corps in return. Francisco lost his closer's job, is a FA after this year. He started horribly this year, but has been a little better of late. Chris Ray is another guy with closing experience who seems to have rebounded from an awful 2009.

Texas is getting great relief work from Neftali Feliz and Darren O'Day, so perhaps Francisco or Ray could be had.

Archived