Brewer Fanatic

2010 World Cup

Brewtacular

Ivory Coast's Didier Drogba is set to discover whether he will be allowed wear a protective cast on his broken arm in Tuesday's game against Portugal.

Football's world governing body Fifa will make the decision prior to the first Group G game of the World Cup.

Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson said on Monday: "There has been a Fifa meeting - we will know later."

Link

England's Ledley King is expected to be out for three weeks because of the groin strain he suffered against the United States, BBC Sport understands.

That would rule the Tottenham defender out of England's remaining group matches and a potential last-16 clash.

However, England still hope he will play some part in the tournament and he will not be flown home early.

The 29-year-old had to be substituted at half-time in England's 1-1 draw with the US in Rustenburg on Saturday.

King underwent a scan on Sunday, which revealed that his injury was a "groin muscle strain".

England's coaching staff will be relieved that King's injury did not turn out to be more serious, says BBC Radio 5 live football reporter Ian Dennis.

"As a general rule, if it is a grade one groin tear it would mean he is out for three weeks. If it's a grade two then it is four to six weeks and if it's a complete rupture it would mean surgery," he stated.

Dennis also revealed that King suffered his injury "in the third or fourth minute of the match so he could easily have aggravated it in that period".

Link
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those that missed it, Fifa allowed Drogba to play with a cast, & he came on as a sub in the 65th minute today in the draw v. Portugal

Italy goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon has a "strong" problem with his sciatic nerve, and might not be able to return to play in the World Cup. He was subbed out at halftime in the opening match v. Paraguay

^ That would be a pretty big blow to Italy, although there shouldn't be much question that they'll make it out of their group with Paraguay or Slovakia.

I was disappointed that the Ivory Coast vs. Portugal game didn't open up; Ronaldo had a couple good looks, as did both Gervinho and Drogba.

I'm ready for a blowout, but I have a bad feeling this will end 2-0 Brazil. They had better hope they don't disappoint Dear Leader, though...

The Swiss are beating Spain with 3.5 minutes to go but they seem to have become too conservative and are just clearing it and giving away possession every time they get the ball. That could really cost them.

Mexico is in big, big trouble with Uruguay putting up 3 goals on South Africa. Despite France looking somewhat sloppy, I still thing Les Blues are likely to beat Mexico tomorrow. Probably 1-0 or 2-1.

If that happens, Mexico would have to beat Uruguay by 2 goals in order to advance (assuming a France win vs South Africa). That is an extremely tall order. And if they lose by 2 goals to France, they will need to beat Uruguay by 3.

Missed the Uruguay v. South Africa game due to work today, but from what I saw in the highlights. Forlan was very impressive. I once met a Uruguayan who described the country as "the Iowa of South America", so I can't help but cheer for them.

Here's to hoping for a few more goals in the second set of games. I don't mind defensive hockey and soccer as much as some (the excitement of a goal in a 1-0 game is far greater than the excitement of a goal in a 4-3 game), but it would be fun to see the stars shine a bit more.

Where is the scoring this year? Everybody is playing such defensive schemes that it is bogging down the play. Sadly, MLS games have been more entertaining and the World Cup is supposed to be the top futbol athletes from the world

I think the games have been very good so far, like other people have said usually the first game teams are playing a little more defensively because they don't want to lose. The defensive scheme worked for Switzerland, and was the only chance for a team like North Korea against Brazil.

Do you really think the MLS has been more entertaining? If so, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Thrilled with the Argentine victory today as they were rolling on all cylinders. Ever since my wife's extended visit there during the '98 cup we have pulled for them and they have underachieved the past 3 cups. Outside of USA I always pull for them, even though I know some compare them to the Oakland Raiders.

Thrilled with the Argentine victory today as they were rolling on all cylinders. Ever since my wife's extended visit there during the '98 cup we have pulled for them and they have underachieved the past 3 cups. Outside of USA I always pull for them, even though I know some compare them to the Oakland Raiders.

Wait, does that make Maradona Al Davis? Because, I feel this video needs to be on youtube, today.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Do you really think the MLS has been more entertaining? If so, I'm not sure what to tell you.

Yes. The MLS games I have watched have been very up and down games. Too many of these games have been played in midfield. I like games where a team will put 20-25 shots up and the goaltender will have to make 5-10 great stops to keep their team in it. There have been WC games this year where a team will muster 2 shots on goal and the other team will have 0 on goal.

I'm sorry, but as a casual fan it's really hard to get into these games when you see a red card handed out for barely touching a player and having him fall over like he just got shot (see South African goalie against Uruguay).

Too many of these games have been played in midfield.

Well, that's really the guts of soccer, though.

There have been WC games this year where a team will muster 2 shots on goal and the other team will have 0 on goal.

As has been pointed out, it's early. Far too early to determine the WC is just boring. I agree with yoshii, the games have been very entertaining for me. When each team is able to get off 20+ shots in a game, that just isn't enough competent defense imo.

As has been pointed out, it's early. Far too early to determine the WC is just boring. I agree with yoshii, the games have been very entertaining for me. When each team is able to get off 20+ shots in a game, that just isn't enough competent defense imo.

I think it has more to do with players being conservative in the WC. I think the level of MLS is so low that they are trying to get noticed with aggressive play for some other club to want them. So you get a lot of guys that are all out, consequences be damned mentality. Probably why I find Brazil fun to watch.

Pathetic officiating. My goodness. Robbed the US of two points. Every replay I´ve seen has shown the US doing nothing deserving of disallowing that third goal. I´m disgusted! I think the US will still get through the group, but that was as bad as the no-handball call against Germany in 2002.

Archived