Brewer Fanatic

2010 World Cup

Brewtacular

It is unfortunate that the only real "news" Ive heard regarding the World Cup over the past 3-4 months has been that star players for many nations are out of the cup due to injury. That is a shame, as name recognition is important when the game itself hasnt taken hold the way others have in this country.

I was looking forward to watching Ivory Coast, now they dont have a chance.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking forward to watching Ivory Coast, now they dont have a chance.
I don't think you can every count out a soccer team just because one player is out. I look forward to Ivory Coast using this injury as motivation and for others to step up in his absence, also there will be extra motivation because its the first ever African World Cup.

US wins their final friendly 3-1 over Australia. Score probably could have been about 6-4 or so. Findlay missed numerous opportunities and I think it was Dempsey had one called back because of a "offsides" (the guy who was offside didn't play the ball or interfere with an Australian, so it probably should have been called, oh well).

Edson Buddle scored 2 and Herculez Gomez does what he does in scoring as a late substitute.

It is encouraging to see the two hottest players in the USMNT pool, Buddle and Gomez, continue to score goals outside their respective leagues. Thankfully they both made the roster, especially now with the knock Jozy got this week. Forward position may not be as bleak as originally thought for the U.S.

Didier Drogba has undergone a "successful" operation on his fractured arm, but the Ivory Coast star's World Cup participation remains in doubt.

The Chelsea striker broke a bone close to his elbow during his side's 2-0 friendly win over Japan on Friday.

The Ivory Coast Federation (FIF) said they and the surgeons who performed the procedure "are confident regarding the speedy recovery of the player".

However, they did not say how long Drogba was likely to remain out for

Link

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47995000/jpg/_47995380_drogba226282_reuters.jpg

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Dutch winger Arjen Robben is a major doubt for the World Cup finals after limping off during his country's 6-1 friendly rout of Hungary in Amsterdam.

Second-half substitute Robben scored two goals before injuring his hamstring when in possession in the 85th minute.

Coach Bert van Marwijk revealed Robben will undergo a scan on Sunday to determine the extent of the problem.

"He felt a sharp pain," said van Marwijk. "That does not bode well, but I do not lose hope."

"It was a magnificent match but Arjen's injury overshadowed everything," said Feyenoord's [Giovanni] van Bronckhorst. "I'm not very optimistic. He's in real pain and finds it difficult to walk."

Van Marwijk, too, was stunned by Robben's rotten luck. "My first thought was this can't be true, the end the final warm-up match, everyone is fit and then this," he said.

"We now have to wait. I can replace Robben until 24 hours before our opening match but as long as there is hope he recovers in time he will stay in the squad."

Link

The injuries to big-name players leading up to this World Cup have been out of control. So fluky.

For those of you with AT&T U-Verse who like to listen to soccer announcers from other countries, you can watch the World Cup on channel 622 (Portuguese), 623 (Japanese), 624 (Korean), 625 (Arabic) and 626 (German).

Four more days til kickoff, I can hardly wait!

Is anybody in Madison watching the US v. England game somewhere? I'm trying to figure out a fun location to watch it.

I'll be watching the game, not sure where though. I'd love to find somewhere with a bunch of people watching it, unfortunately right now I'm not sure of anywhere having something "big" for it. I'll be sure to post if I find anywhere.

Four more days til kickoff, I can hardly wait!

Is anybody in Madison watching the US v. England game somewhere? I'm trying to figure out a fun location to watch it.

http://www.hawksbar.com/

This is the best place I knew of downtown Madison. Last WC, they hung the different nations' flags all over the bar -- it was sweet!

For those of you with AT&T U-Verse who like to listen to soccer announcers from other countries, you can watch the World Cup on channel 622 (Portuguese), 623 (Japanese), 624 (Korean), 625 (Arabic) and 626 (German).

I'll spare any of you interested in listening to the Japanese broadcast by translating what they will be saying.

Japan has the ball, OH MY GOD, Japan has the ball...it's Japan...with the ball.....yes, yes, YES, JAPAN!!! All the while they are simply passing the ball around deep in their own territory without thoughts of making a forward move.
Japan is my second home, and I love the place, but I have a really hard time cheering for them. I'll be over there watching the games with my in-laws and I've promised myself I'll cheer with them but I fear after 30 seconds I'll feel compelled to cheer against their announcers.

Portugal winger Nani has been ruled out of the World Cup after suffering an injury to his collar bone.

Manchester United's Nani picked up the injury in training on Friday in Lisbon before flying to South Africa.

"After tests we conclude he is unfit to participate in the World Cup," said a team statement.

The 23-year-old, who scored three goals in 11 appearances during qualification, will be replaced in Portugal's squad by Benfica midfielder Ruben Amorim.

Amorim made 24 appearances for Benfica last season, helping the club to their first Portuguese title in five years.

The loss of Nani is a blow to Portugal as the winger had demonstrated impressive form for Manchester United during the second half of the 2009/10 season.

During the campaign he scored six goals in 34 appearances as United finished runners-up to Chelsea in the Premier League and reached the quarter-finals of the Champions League, where they were beaten on away goals by Bayern Munich.

Link

Am I crazy, or is this a ridiculous amount of injuries?

I'd love to hear a North Korea broadcast about how the other team and the referees are cheating and all out to sabotage the country.
And after the match, they threaten to declare all out war on the other team, the referees and anyone who dare offend them in the name of the "Dear Leader".

Yikes, Nani is a big loss for Portugal.

Wow, Mexico was robbed of a goal by an horrendous outside call by the linesman. There was a South African player standing at the goalline guarding the post, there was no way the Mexican player was offside when he scored the goal. What an incredibly awful mistake by the linesman.

The call was actually correct. The Laws of the Game state that a player is offside when he is closer to the opponent's goal line than both the ball and the second last opponent. In this case, the goalie had passed Vela coming off his line. The goalie was at that point the second last opponent. People often erroneously exempt the goalkeeper and assume that the attacker has to just have one field player between him and the goal.

The offside was correctly called.

Edit: to not sound like a jerk.

Final score 1-1. The second half was much more exciting, the first goal was a beauty. South Africa came close to winning towards the end when a close range shot hit the post. I think Mexico has probably the more skilled team, but their goalie is shaky though.

That was a very good game, overall: lots of attacking soccer, good passing, and some exciting moments. Although South Africa should have gotten that winner in the 89th minute, they were lucky that Mexico's forwards can't score with their heads. Mexico is definitely the better team, and I agree that that goalie is shaky.

I think Mexico is lucky they didn't get called for a penalty when the SA player was dragged down in the box.

Mexico clearly has the superior talent on offense, but their defense looked horrible giving up the shots that they did. If they play like that the rest of the cup, they aren't going to make it past the first round.

And as davemakovec said, offsides was the correct call (although I don't think you'll find anyone in Mexico who agrees :-P)

I think Mexico is lucky they didn't get called for a penalty when the SA player was dragged down in the box.

Mexico clearly has the superior talent on offense, but their defense looked horrible giving up the shots that they did. If they play like that the rest of the cup, they aren't going to make it past the first round.

And as davemakovec said, offsides was the correct call (although I don't think you'll find anyone in Mexico who agrees :-P)

That would be fabulous is Uruguay could muster a point out of this match. The French have been controlling possession but just haven't been able to break through with many great chances. Diego Forlan is clearly the catalyst of the Uruguayan offense, he looks like a great player.

Archived