Brewer Fanatic

2010 World Cup

Brewtacular
Interesting, I've had the impression that most fans are very happy with Bob Bradley's performance. He's definitely not perfect, but I think he's gotten a lot better, and has mostly learned from mistakes. The only (out of work) coach I can think of that would be a definitely upgrade is Martin O'Neill, and I'm not sure if he'd be interested.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Bob Bradley did the bare minimum. The bar was set at getting out of the group stage. To do that the US needed 1) the English goalkeeper to commit a howler, 2) to overcome early malaise and deficits against inferior teams (to be fair officiating was not on the US' side). Either of those two things go differently and the US fails to get out of one of the easier groups in the cup.

I don't like Bradley because he employs unnecessarily negative tactics agaisnt inferior teams and plays favorites in player selection. This team, at it's best, plays on the front foot (see second halves of Slovenia, Algeria). Yet every game Bradley plays two defensive midfielders centrally, even agaisnt CONCACAF minnows. For my second point I submit Ricardo Clark and Robbie Findley (also Sasha Kjlestian).

Most importantly, in international soccer especially, if you're not moving forward, you're falling behind. Is Bob Bradley going to make this team better or is he entirely dependant upon the improving American talent?

He substituted at halftime in 3 of 4 games, which is the equivalent of pulling Jeff Suppan after 3 innings in a playoff game.

He continued to stubbornly and stupidly employ a 4-4-2 when every single time they switched to a 4-5-1 they played much, much better (once again, see the second halves of Slovenia and Algeria) and this allowed Donovan (by far their best player) to control and create from the midfield instead of having to constantly react to opposing pressure.

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter, and I really couldn't say it better than Craig Stouffer who goes into further details than I will here...

I said this after the Algeria game: no team ever goes into a game planning to make tactical substitutions at halftime. Bradley made that type of change in every U.S. match in the 2010 World Cup

and the trend continued like clockwork against Ghana. He might as well

have been on the field himself for every early goal scored against his

team, including the two earliest of the tournament (`4 Steven Gerrard, `5 Kevin Prince Boateng).

Ricardo Clark played an enormous role in both of those goals. Whether it was Bob Bradley selecting him as a starter, or Michael Bradley

telling his father who he preferred as a midfield partner, Clark’s

inclusion in the starting lineup was a massive mistake – and that was clear against England two weeks ago.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm extremely disappointed by this news. Not because Bradley is the worst coach in the world or anything but because it speaks to the lack of concern US Soccer management has for improving their product. Now was the time to get somebody with a vision to run the program, not just try to hang onto the status quo. Of course, it's possible they don't have the budget to hire somebody good. Bradley made about $500,000 per year on his last deal, which is not close to being on par with what the powerhouse nations pay their coaches. Almost every good team pays their coach at least twice that and the top guys make 8-20 times as much. It's possible, though unlikely, that a good coach would be willing to take a pay cut in order to coach an enormous and wealthy country like the US while hoping for a raise down the line or hoping that he'd be remembered as a legend if he really popularized soccer here. That's not something that can be counted on though. The US will have to pay more if they really want a top tier coach but, judging from the 3rd tier salary they offer, they seem happy to stick with a 3rd tier coach.

Clark over Edu was idiotic. Like yoshii said, the team played SO much better with Edu in the middle. And of course don't forget Edu had his brilliant goal against Slovenia disallowed. He was a player that clearly belonged in the starting 11 every single time the team had a match to play, and Bradley continued to screw that up.

When someone with so little knowledge of the game (read: me) can see that Edu should have been an obvious choice, it's hard to get excited about Bradley getting extended. I would have loved to see USMNT look outside the country for a head coach.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

He substituted at halftime in 3 of 4 games, which is the equivalent of pulling Jeff Suppan after 3 innings in a playoff game.

He continued to stubbornly and stupidly employ a 4-4-2 when every single time they switched to a 4-5-1 they played much, much better (once again, see the second halves of Slovenia and Algeria) and this allowed Donovan (by far their best player) to control and create from the midfield instead of having to constantly react to opposing pressure.

I don't think it's fair to say that it was stupid to play a 4-4-2 in those games - the team won plenty of games leading up to the World Cup using 4-4-2 tactics, and won plenty of games using a 4-5-1 as well. They also lost games playing both formations. But that's one thing I like about Bradley - he's great at in-game changes. He'll change tactics if something isn't working, and stick the original plan if it is (or at least looks like it will). Obviously, starting Ricardo Clark v Ghana was a mistake - I know I complained about it when the lineup was announced. But that's my only real complaint, and let's be fair, he did correct it very quickly.

Again, I don't think he's perfect for us, but are there any better options out there? The only coaches I can think of that are clear upgrades already have jobs...better jobs than USA national team manager. If a better option becomes available, and Bradley doesn't look like the answer, we could always let him go.

I don't think it's fair to say that it was stupid to play a 4-4-2 in those games - the team won plenty of games leading up to the World Cup using 4-4-2 tactics
Except, they really didn't. Anytime they played anyone decent and ran with their 4-4-2 (which meant downgrading from Fielhaber and Edu to Clark and..... Buddle or Gomez or Findley) they just weren't as good. Putting more pressure on Dempsey and Donovan to play defensively as opposed to letting them roam and pick their spots. Anytime they played a team who could hang with them athletically (85% of the teams in the World Cup) and could pressure the ball well (75% of the teams in the World Cup) the huge weakness of the 4-4-2 kept showing up, time and time again with poor spacing and poor first touches.

As for the adjustments: It's great that he makes them, but when time after time he's making the same adjustment there comes a point when he should make that adjustment before the game begins and not waste a sub.

Bradley ended up being their fall back position, when they couldn't get the funds for (or simply couldn't get?) Jurgen Klinsmann.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The rumor seems to be that Klinsman turned US Soccer down again because they (US Soccer) wouldn't relinquish full control over the operation. Klinsman likely wanted to implement the same systemic changes that he did for Germany. Again, it seems, US Soccer opts for status quo.

I like Bradley as our coach a great deal. We have exceeded EVERY expectation under his watch except in the Ghana game. Were we the better team on the pitch that day? Probably. But the result didn't indicate that. Honestly, the only decision I questioned that day was starting his son in MF. I absolutely adore Mikey but he was on fumes by the knockouts and could have used a day of rest. I would wager that he ran a marathon in South Africa as a complete dead sprint. But if he didn't start the sparkplug, he would have opened himself up even more for criticism. I like what Bob did in South Africa a great deal. And honestly, I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt after how far we've come in the last 4 years under his watch.

Except, they really didn't.
http://www.football-lineu..._Qualifying_2010/fixture

To be honest, I think that the impact of formations are overblown for the most part. Sure, it can make a difference in terms of team selection, but is a not-quite-match-fit Maurice Edu (on 3 days rest) really that huge of an upgrade over anybody else in the squad? I doubt it. Regardless of that, I don't really notice any particular patterns of one formation being consistently more successful than the other. Overall, I feel that USA has performed pretty well, considering that we only have a handful of players good enough to start in top European leagues.

re: Klinsmann, I'm not really sure what the USSF's obsession is. Is it just because he was a big name in his playing days, or does being "not American" automatically make him better? His managerial track record is not very good, his teams have generally underachieved, and I'd tend to think Bradley would be a better candidate for just about any job. I think we dodged a bullet in not hiring him in '06.

Honestly, the only decision I questioned that day was starting his son in MF. I absolutely adore Mikey but he was on fumes by the knockouts and could have used a day of rest. I would wager that he ran a marathon in South Africa as a complete dead sprint. But if he didn't start the sparkplug, he would have opened himself up even more for criticism.

You're the only person I've seen question starting Michael Bradley, I thought he was tremendous, and I'm not sure who you would have started over him.

Diskono, I strongly disagree that Maurice Edu didn't make that big of a difference over Ricardo Clark. He looked very match fit to me, and made the U.S look like an entirely different team.

Diskono, I strongly disagree that Maurice Edu didn't make that big of a difference over Ricardo Clark. He looked very match fit to me, and made the U.S look like an entirely different team.
That's not what I was saying. In hindsight, he obviously did. But the gap in ability between the two players really isn't that wide - 90% of the time, the difference between the two alone wouldn't have won or lost a game. I also think it's very possible (perhaps likely?) that the US would have looked like an entirely different side later in the game had Ricardo Clark stayed on. Clark had a terrible 30 minutes, but that doesn't make him a terrible player.

Just throwing out a guess here, but Edu was injured most of the year and hadn't played much up until that point in 2010, so Bradley's rationale may have been that he wasn't ready to go 90 minutes just a few days after playing most of the gave v Algeria. I don't agree with that decision (better to have Edu start, go as long as he can, and sub off in necessary), but that one decision certainly isn't sack-worthy.

yoshii8[/b]]
ILuvDaBush[/b]]Honestly, the only decision I questioned that day was starting his son in MF. I absolutely adore Mikey but he was on fumes by the knockouts and could have used a day of rest. I would wager that he ran a marathon in South Africa as a complete dead sprint. But if he didn't start the sparkplug, he would have opened himself up even more for criticism.

You're the only person I've seen question starting Michael Bradley, I thought he was tremendous, and I'm not sure who you would have started over him.

Agreed. Bradley was amazing and I wanted him on the field no matter how tired he was.

Clark was also terrible against England also, there is no way that he should have been starting after that game period. It was so obvious that they played much better w/ Feilhaber and Edu versus, Findley and Clark. Clark also looked terrible in the games leading up to the World Cup, I disagree that he isn't a terrible international player. He has no vision, creativity and looked completely lost on the field.

W/ the unbelievable momentum the US had going into the Ghana game, I think starting those mistakes two took away a lot of it. Although I do like some things about Bob Bradley, I certainly think those obvious mistakes could of lead to his firing.

Don't get me wrong. Mikey Bradley probably our second or third best player on the pitch most matches. But his intensity doesn't lend itself well to keeping a good pace late. Yes, his superb sliding goal was late, but almost anyone could have finished (and I also realize he is NOT the man we want finishing). But again, his lack of fitness lent itself to being burnt time and again by the African marathoners of Ghana. Our lack of depth was quite evident in this respect. Please don't think I don't absolutely adore the Bic'ed One. But I really hope when he is our starting MF in 2014 in Brasil, he learns to pick his spots better and let Jermaine Jones run himself ragged.

• 2 months later...

I don't think there's any doubt they were bribed or going to be bribed. The British press' accusations that FIFA is a sanctioned criminal organization essentially killed their bid.

That said the soccer still rocks and will be enjoyable to watch on television.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The average high in Qatar in June, July, and August is 106. Have fun, boys!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Rest assured, we will still be able to enjoy belligerently drunk English fans!

Really though, it sucks to not get 2022. As for Qatar, their proposed facilities look absurdly awesometastic. I'm willing to bet they are going to address the average July high of 115'F at some point.

I know nothing about Qatar, other than that it's a relatively small oil-rich Middle-Eastern nation that is pretty safe these days. Hopefully all goes well, and the soccer is brilliant.

The only thing I don't like about the Qatar pick is that they get an automatic bid. I think teams should have to be a regular qualifier to be able to host the World Cup. The didn't even get close to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup, so they will probably end up unfairly taking another deserving country's spot, which is total crap.

As far as the bribing goes, I'm sure their bribe came in just over what the US tried to bribe them with.

If they can pull this off, I've gotta say I'll be impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-z2jtUS9-Y

How many hour ahead is Qatar? I'm pretty sure it's around 12. That means 12:00 games will start at midnight...7:00 PM games at 7:00 AM. It'll be hard to watch more than one game per day. That's the part I'm most disappointed about.

Archived