Brewer Fanatic

2010 World Cup

Brewtacular
  • Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh, thought I would add that I got to see yesterday's game in 3D. It was an incredible way to watch the game, on some of the shots you felt like you were actually there, sitting in the stands. I'd recommend it to anyone who is planning on watching any of the last games.

The thing I like about the Holland vs Spain final is that there will be a first time world cup winner. The last newbie winner was France in 1998 held in France. The list of the world cup winners is very short, Uruguay, Italy, Germany, Brazil, England, Argentina and France, it's nice to have a new winner. This final will also be the first time an European country wins the world cup outside of Europe.

I will be watching the final on a 3D big screen, first time watching soccer in 3D, hope it's great.

Prediction...

The Dutch sneak a goal in during the first half to match Spain's early strike, but Spain gets another one early in the second half and hold possession for much of the second half, winning 2-1 and appearing to dominate for much of the match.

For those watching the 3rd place game, Forlan with a beauty. Uruguay really seem to want this one more than the Germans, which is understandable. Suarez is getting quite the treatment from the African fans for his handball in the quarters.

What an ugly game. If anyone wants to know why Americans (or anyone in general) doesn't like soccer, this game is why. Diving left and right, players faking injuries, and... what... 11 yellows I think?

Such a shame, the biggest game on the biggest stage came down to thuggery and flailing as opposed to skill and stamina.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think ugly might be a slight overstatement, but not that far from the truth. It wasn't a pretty game by any means. I'd also say there wasn't an unusually high amount of diving, most of what I noticed was from Robben and Van Persie. Also I'd say at least 9 of those 11 were deserved/normal calls.

In the end it was a defensive game with numerous missed opportunities. Not every game is up and down like the US/Algeria game. Football (American) has high scoring games and defensive battles, the same with every sport. Players in every sport try to influence the call of the umpire/referee/official/linesman.

I can handle a defensive battle, but there was so much diving, so many calls... I cannot fault the referee, he kept trying to get control of the match, but there was really nothing he could do, beyond sending someone off from both teams.

It felt like a mid 90's game between the Knicks and the Pistons, ending up like 72 to 64 or something.

Spain never once tried to stay on their feet. Even the call which got the Denmark player sent off,

the Spaniard was barely touched.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Group A needs to pay attention to Diego Forlan from Uruguay. All that guy does is score goals. He tore it up this year for Atletico Madrid. His goal in extra time of the Europa League final was simply magical.
After Diego Forlan was awarded the Golden Ball as the tournament's best player today, I felt the need to toot my own horn. Or should I say vuvuzela? http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Spain never once tried to stay on their feet. Even the call which got the Denmark player sent off,
the Spaniard was barely touched.
From that video, I can't tell how much or where exactly he was touched, if I had to guess, the defender probably catches the left leg of the Spaniard, not on purpose, but he does catch him. It probably shouldn't have been a card, but to me, it's a foul, even when accidental.

I think we all need to remember that when running full speed, if someone clips one of our feet or legs, we are going to the ground 99% of the time as well. I think we're being overly critical in saying that someone is diving when they get their legs tangled even a little bit when sprinting. This isn't falling down and grabbing their knee when they go shoulder to shoulder with a defender.

The Dutch came out and played physical, but in doing so they also committed some incredibly bad fouls that led to yellow cards. I forget which Dutch player it was, but to not get a red for kicking the Spaniard in the chest was the worst call of the match. It almost seemed like the Dutch were trying to injure someone,..

As a side note, I'm not a fan of Spain, I watched the game with my best friend who's 100% Dutch and almost cried when the goal was scored. In the end, Spain outplayed The Netherlands and deserved the win, though if Robben had finished either of his chances, The Netherlands could have easily won.

I thought the game was very entertaining, Holland and Spain are both great teams. I also enjoyed the Germany vs. Uruguay game, although I was dissapointed Germany sat Lahm, Klose and Podolski.

I don't understand why so many non soccer fan Americans go out of their way to complain about soccer. Please, just turn the channel, there are plenty of other things on. However, I did find that it's becoming a little less cool to make fun of soccer, which is a good thing.

Overall, I think it was a wonderful World Cup, and I'm sad its over. I can't wait until 2014 in Brazil.

Overall, I think it was a wonderful World Cup, and I'm sad its over. I can't wait until 2014 in Brazil.
I agree completely. What a Cup. Even though the Final wasn't as smooth & flowing as I'd hope, watching the Netherlands impart their will and constantly deny space and pressure the Spanish was really awesome. It did make me think, though, had that been the USA and not Spain, the US would've lost about 43-0 to that kind of constant on-the-ball pressure.

I'm also glad it didn't go to PK's, because, well, there would've been 2 weeks of complaints by the US media.

I'm not really a soccer fan (or Futball), but I did enjoy the level of athlete on display, the pageantry and the event. To me, it was kind of like Winter Olympic Hockey. I'll be ready for 2014. What does Brazil do to cheer on the players? Bang gongs I hope!

I'm not really a soccer fan (or Futball), but I did enjoy the level of athlete on display, the pageantry and the event. To me, it was kind of like Winter Olympic Hockey. I'll be ready for 2014. What does Brazil do to cheer on the players? Bang gongs I hope!

This tournament should also build up a lot of excitement for the 2012 Euros. While not a worldwide event, it should warrant worldwide attention, and the Spaniards will be looking to repeat as Euro champions, and following its first WC trophy, I believe they have been anointed as the favorites. The Dutch and the Germans should remain very strong, imagine a Spain-Germany rematch after players such as Muller (age 20 and didn't play against Spain) and Ozil (age 21) have had added two years of experience. What may be the most intriguing thing about Euro 2012 is how Italy, France, and England all recover after this WC. But with that said I am also ready for 2014, if I am able to I want to make the trip down there.

• 1 month later...

US Extends Bob Bradley through 2014.

To those who don't follow soccer, this would be similar to a team extending a manager who was the cross between Dusty Baker in breaking pitchers and Ned Yost in his ability to manage and manage a bullpen.

I'm shocked. Upset. Angry.

It's difficult to comprehend if US Soccer has any familiarity with how to run a national team. Even good coaches don't last two World Cup turns. They seem to be satisfied with just making it out of the group stages.

That even ignores the fact it took them two months to reach the conclusion to do nothing.

I agree, I was also hoping for a change in coaches. I was very dissapointed when I saw that Ricardo Clark was starting against Ghana over Maurice Edu. It was so unbelievably obvious how much better the US played w/ Maurice Edu in the middle. That made me think that he has a little bias toward certain players, that a good coach can't have. Other than that and a few other minor things, I guess the U.S. played a lot nice soccer than in previous years.

Archived