Brewer Fanatic

2010 World Cup

Brewtacular
My favorite part was everyones initial 2 or so seconds of dejection after the first shot was blocked before they realized donovan put in the rebound...that and the kid that was watching alone.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Yeah that was an amazing shot. South Korea definitely had their chances in the second half. Just couldn't put the ball in the net more than once.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Time for the US team to step up. Hopefully they don't pull a Narv-dog and go down early.
"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

That was about as poor a half as anyone could've guessed the US would play. They played like a sloppy, uncoordinated side, and frankly are lucky to only be down 1-0. The more I see of Findley, the less I want to see. I'd like to see Buddle subbed in, but that would leave the US with only one more substitution, which they might need for Bocanegra.

Ghana flat-out dominated the first half, and unless the US is able to pull a sea-change in the second half, this cup run will be over. The US defenders especially are overmatched by the Black Stars' quickness and athletic ability.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I feel bad about getting on Jay DeMerit since he's a Green Bay native (at least according to Wiki), but I can see why Tim Howard screams at him about 10 times a game. His defense on the Ghana goal was about as bad as I've seen.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm no soccer expert, but continuing to give up early goals can't be a good thing, especially in a game with so little scoring.
It is the equivalent of your starting pitcher giving up a grand slam in the first inning. Not insurmountable, but it typically takes some hard work and a little bit of luck.

As TLB said, the US played a pretty poor half. Findley needs to score that goal. Altidore has been basically non-existent after showing signs of life against Algeria. Ghana could easily have one or two more goals had they not made a few mistakes and some good saves by Howard.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Roles were definitely reversed in that second half. Ghana was essentially playing a 5-man back line with 3 mids, down the home stretch. Meanwhile the US was attacking well & controlling the ball. The Jozy Altidore sliding shot would have simply been a miracle, but it was a great play to just throw the defender (a pretty beefed-up looking Mensa) off him with his right arm, & the strike of the ball was pretty nice. Kingson has been very strong in goal for Ghana, but the defense in front of him hasn't impressed.

Well, it was fun while it lasted. As annoying as Ghana's late game antics were, I can't hold it against them without holding it against every other team in the tournament, and I'll definitely be cheering for them to bring Africa its first world cup on home soil now.

Nothing to be ashamed of for the U.S., they made it to the round of sixteen, which is probably right where they belonged. Just too many defensive breakdowns to make a serious run.

Still plenty of great soccer coming up, though. Time to watch the English bow out to the Germans.

If you take the match as a whole, Ghana outplayed the US in the first half & overtime. The second half was really the only segment the US 'won'. I think the main problem for the US was mirrored in Ghana's accurate, crisp passing & sound possession of the ball. The US looked clunky & awkward in comparison, as they had at many times in the tournament. The US team still lacks enough finely-tuned skilled players imo. They have some great athletes, but all I think you need to look at from this game was the passing & possession. Ghana at times was beautiful to watch, while the US was too often desperate & flailing.

Bradley's decisions on the starting lineups was a handicap not only today, when he had no substitutions left to bring on fresh legs in extra time, but at other points in the tourney as well. I have no idea why Clark started today ahead of Edu, or why Findley started again. Earlier in the WC I thought Findley's speed was a good asset to have, but he just never really seemed to put it to work. Buddle would have been a much more efficient choice, especially today with Altidore playing so poorly.

Every single time they played 5 midfielders they looked so much better than when they played with 2 strikers and 4 mids. I know such a subtle change shouldn't make such a difference, but this was the case all through qualifying, and all through the first 3 games of the World Cup, yet, for some reason, Bradley kept stubbornly sticking with the 4-4-2.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I think the 4-4-2 would have worked had Charlie Davies been available. Unfortunately Robbie Findley proved that at this level he is fast, but can't do anything with the ball... Also I'd have to look back to see if it was more of a 4-5-1 or if they basically slid Dempsey up top to take the place of the 2nd forward. Either way, bringing Feilhaber on and playing that formation in the 2nd half was our best formation.

Ah the what ifs... What if Charlie Davies hadn't been in the tragic car accident... What if Gooch hadn't blown out his knee last fall... What if Bob Bradley had just started Maurice Edu instead of Ricardo Clark...

I know I'm looking a long ways down the road, but the US could field a very experienced team in 2014. I realize a lot can and will happen as far as development and injuries, but all of the following players were born in 1982 or after, making them 32 or younger in 2014. (With the exception of Howard, who will be 35, but age is a little different with a goalkeeper) I hope some of these guys are passed up (cough... Clark... cough... Findley...), but it gives a good idea of who we will be able to build around for Brazil.

Howard

Guzan

Spector

Onyewu

Bornstein

Goodson

Beasley

Bradley

Dempsey

Donovan

Holden

Clark

Torres

Edu

Feilhaber

Altidore

Findley

Gomez

I agree, they should have quite a few solid players. Especially if you add Davies to that list.

While I know many have kind of ruled him out, I could see Adu factoring into the national team by 2014. He won't likely be a superstar, that ship has sailed IMO, but he has played fairly well in Greece, and he'll be only 25 in 2014, right in the middle of his prime years. I think these past couple of years have served as a bit of a wake up call for him, and I'm hoping that his renewed work ethic produces some results. He has the type of ball skills that could help us very much in the midfield. I think many forget that is only 21 years old currently, with still quite a bit of potential, just not as much potential as once thought a couple of years ago.

I really liked what I saw from Michael Bradley in the last couple of games, and I think that he'll be even better by 2014. Altidore should be right in his prime in 2014 as well. As will Torres, who I think will fill an important role in the mid-field for the US.

What we need most for the next world cup are a few lock down defenders as Bocanegra and possibly Onyewu may have played their last World Cup. I think we should be very solid at midfield and forward going into the next World Cup.

On defense in four years, one player that could make his way into the picture is Agbossoumonde. As he is already being recognized by European clubs (currently on loan to Braga of the Portuguese league). He is only 18 years old, so there is lots of potential for future growth from him.

Another player to keep an eye on is Sebastian Lleget, who at 17, is potentially looking at playing for West Ham United Premier team by year's end. He has been called by one of England's top scouts one of the best players to come through the West Ham system ever. So, lots of potential here in four years.

My projected side for 2014 is the following:

GK: Howard/Guzan (take your pick, although hopefully Howard has one more in him)
DF: Spector
DF: Bornstein
DF: Agbossoumonde
DF: Goodson
DF: Onyewu (although he may not have much left at this point)
MF: Bradley
MF: Donovan
MF: Dempsey
MF: Torres
MF: Edu
MF: Adu
MF: Feilhaber
MF: Holden
MF: Lleget
FW: Altidore
FW: Davies
FW: Gomez
FW: Finley (has 4 years to develop his shooting and strength)

There should be some more names that nobody has heard of that end up in the mix too. In '06, even Altidore wasn't really known yet, now he's an automatic selection. Hopefully another striker or two.

Speaking of, wouldn't it be great if we had Vedad Ibisevic and Giuseppe Rossi?

Up and down and up and down. What a game, Germany vs England.

England just put the equalizer in the net, but the assistant missed it. Unbelievable.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Archived