Brewer Fanatic

2010 World Cup

Brewtacular

Anybody else getting excited? This is truly the world's greatest sporting event....even if you are not a soccer/football fan you have to appreciate the way it captivates the entire world.

I know a fair bit about soccer but am by no means a fanatic.

I'll be rooting for the US ( I don't in all sports), Japan, and whomever England plays. I'm hoping for the US to advance out of their group with anything past that being gravy. Japan, sadly, is gonna get smoked but I'm hoping they at least win one since I'll be over there during the games. England....meh....I just hope they lose so my friends in Scotland can have a laugh.

I was hoping some of the resident experts could chime in with some thoughts....and perhaps some links to their favorite soccer sites/previews.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm not a soccer fan by any stretch, but there's something so different about the World Cup. Each time I end up glued to the tv to root for the USA. maybe it's because no other sporting event quite captures the country vs. country sportsmanship, even more than the Olympics does. and then just like every Olympic sport, i get all into it for a month and then go back to not caring at all for another four years.

unfortunately this time around, i'm going to completely miss every single game and won't be able to get even updates.

The list of forwards Bradley submitted for the prelim roster has me very concerned. I hope they can get some offense out of their midfielders. Besides Altidore, there isn't much to be excited about.

Also, if you guys don't already know, Jay DeMerit is from GB so I will be rooting extra hard for him.

The list of forwards Bradley submitted for the prelim roster has me very concerned. I hope they can get some offense out of their midfielders. Besides Altidore, there isn't much to be excited about.

Also, if you guys don't already know, Jay DeMerit is from GB so I will be rooting extra hard for him.

That's my concern as well. Buddle and Gomez are hot right now, but MLS and Mexico are a far cry from the World Cup for two guys with little international experience.

I don't even feel comfortable with Jozy alone up front either. Jozy's strength is being able to hold the ball up, and keep his marker at bay with his size. He's got a very poor finishing touch. My worry is that the midfield (their strength, IMO) will create chances but no one will be able to take them.

I think, like at the confed cup, Dempsey will play next to Altidore. That way Bradley can get both defensive midfielders on the pitch with Donovan and Holden/Feilhaber. Something like:

Howard

Spector Onyewu DeMerit Bocanegra

Holden Edu/Clark Bradley Donovan

Dempsey Altidore

I'm pretty excited for the world cup. France is my second team and Domenech is an idiot.

Same here, I graduated from the same school as he did. One of my roommates and I want to get his USA jersey with the new diagonal stripe, which I believe is meant to be a tribute to the 1950 squad. The quality of forwards did take a hit when Davies couldn't make the roster; if you look around there were quite a few notable players left off their squads for various reasons, for instance Ronaldhino (Brazil), Adriano (Brazil), Benzema (France), and Cambiasso (Argentina). Very excited for this to begin.

TLB, we are also looking forward to the UEFA final on Saturday, should be a great game. Did you happen to catch the 2nd leg of the Barcelona-Inter semi-final? Quite a performance by Inter to hold that high powered offense to one goal down a man.

Who are some alternate options at forward you guys would prefer? (including mids that could handle forward duty)

I ask from lack of knowledge.

Ideally? A full strength Charlie Davies. I've been hoping for a miracle comeback since his car accident. He brought a different dimension to our attack with his speed. I really hope Gomez or Buddle can come out of nowhere and show enough to play up front, but I have a feeling Bradley will stick Dempsey up top and throw someone else in as an outside MF.

I agree that Dempsey will probably start next to Altidore out of necessity, but I'd really like to see him given a run in central midfield. Before his injury, I felt like he was starting to pattern his game after Danny Murphy, which would be *really* nice to have for a team that struggles to hold possession at times.

And I know this probably won't happen, but I'd be tempted to give Hahnemann a shot in goal. He's been awesome this year. Hot hand and whatnot.

I was hoping some of the resident experts could chime in with some thoughts....and perhaps some links to their favorite soccer sites/previews.

My favorite soccer website is probably epltalk.com. Normally they focus on the EPL but they, along with a few of their sister sites, will be providing comprehensive world cup coverage. They have just started their daily World Cup podcasts. For the rest of may they are interviewing pundits from around the world, and then starting in June they are going to be going over each group. Here is the link to their WC coverage plans: http://www.epltalk.com/20...pl-talk/19570#more-19570

Also Special 1 TV is coming back. If you have never seen it before just search "special 1 tv" on youtube and enjoy. It's a weekly fake call in show hosted by puppet versions of Jose Mourinho, Wayne Rooney, and Sven Goran Eriksson. You will need to have some understanding of European soccer and the players, but if you do the show is absolutely hilarious.

I can't wait for this to start. I think that the draw worked out very well for the US and we should definitely make it out of the group stages. If you look past that, we are also in position to win a game our two if we play well. It's not an easy road by any means, but compared to what we could have gotten, it's not bad. I think the Confederations Cup did a lot for the confidence of this team. Now they know they can play with the best teams in the world. My biggest concern is that they play down to level of Slovenia or Algeria and struggle to advance.

Same here, I graduated from the same school as he did.

I think I was a year or two ahead of Jay in HS (Bay Port - represent!); hearing he is on the team actually gives me a reason to consider caring about soccer for a few weeks. Good guy; hope he does well.

I'm kind of hoping that they play Altidore alone up top w/ Donovan and Dempsey running off him as offensive center midfielders. I think Altidore does a good job of holding off defenders and would thrive in that formation.

So that would be a 4-3-2-1 formation? I'm not sure who I would put as the last seven, but heres a guess. I'd rather not see Gooch and Demerit both playing center back together, because of the lack of quickness and speed.

Altidore

Dempsey, Donovan

Clark, Bradley, Holden

Edu, Gooch, Bocanegra, Spector/Cherundolo

TLB, we are also looking forward to the UEFA final on Saturday, should be a great game. Did you happen to catch the 2nd leg of the Barcelona-Inter semi-final? Quite a performance by Inter to hold that high powered offense to one goal down a man.

No, I didn't see that. Sounds like it was an impressive showing, though. Having Messi alone always seems like it makes Barca up a man anyway http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Edu isn't on the prelim roster, so there is no chance he will play in this World Cup. I too wouldn't mind seeing Altidore alone at the top. Maybe a 4-5-1 could work well with Landon and Dempsey still providing offense. As others have said, they need to feed Altidore in a way he can use his body to create shots. I agree he isn't a great finisher.

His goal against Spain pretty much sums up his game from the admittedly little of his game I have seen. He threw the defender off, turned, then didn't bury it in the corner, but still put the ball far enough to the side so the goally could only deflect it.

I'm kind of hoping that they play Altidore alone up top w/ Donovan and Dempsey running off him as offensive center midfielders. I think Altidore does a good job of holding off defenders and would thrive in that formation.

So that would be a 4-3-2-1 formation? I'm not sure who I would put as the last seven, but heres a guess. I'd rather not see Gooch and Demerit both playing center back together, because of the lack of quickness and speed.

Altidore

Dempsey, Donovan

Clark, Bradley, Holden

Edu, Gooch, Bocanegra, Spector/Cherundolo

All Bradley has ever used with the USMNT is a 4-4-2. So it's safe to say Altidore won't be alone up top. The World Cup isn't the time to try new things.

Even without Ballack Germany should make it out of their group. I think it will be them and Ghana advancing. It will be interesting to see what happens after that, especially since Germany is a potential matchup for the US if we advance.

On a side note, I have hated Ballack ever since he scored against us In the quarterfinals in Korea. I remember being devastated after watching that game and the obvious handball on the line didn't help. I just watched the highlights for the first time since that game ended. Here is the link for anyone that didn't watch:

We dominated that game, but just couldn't get the ball past Oliver Khan.

And finally, I would recommend Soccernomics to all of you who are interested in the sport. It is very interesting and gives you a new perspective on the sport even if you have followed it for a while.

Edu isn't on the prelim roster, so there is no chance he will play in this World Cup.
http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-National-Team/2010/05/US-MNT-Head-Coach-Bob-Bradley-Names-Preliminary-World-Cup-Roster.aspx

Maurice Edu is on the preliminary roster, and most likely will make the final roster. He is listed as a midfielder, but I read something where he has been playing outside back occasionaly w/ the Rangers.

Chris, I agree that Bradley will likely stay w/ a two forward lineup, but I think Dempsey is too valuable as a midfielder to put as the second forward. I also am not impressed w/ the other forwards on the roster, so I was trying to think of what I would do if it were up to me.

I actually like Dempsey up front because he is seems to be good at tracking back to get the ball and making runs off of a target forward. Also I think Holden and Feilhaber in midfield aren't as much of a downgrade from Dempsey as using any other forward would be.

Archived