Brewer Fanatic

DVD Rental Day (2004 - 2010)

EdgarDiazRocks
  • Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Yeah, I've never had a problem either in 3+ years.

They've sent me two cracked DVDs, but replacing them was no problem at all.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I'll plug Total Access again Rydogg. You have a free trial with Netflix and haven't been thrilled, so I'd cancel and try Blockbuster's free trial. At the end you can decide which was better. People prefer Netflix when they're into incredibly obscure movies, but I've found a ton of stuff you'd never find in a video store. Come to think of it, I can't remember a movie I wanted that Blockbuster didn't have, even a bunch of Japanese movies my girlfriend wanted that weren't popular in America.

Sorry to hear about your problem. I never had a problem with Netflix. Their turnaround time was always fantastic.

My favorite Netflix experience was when "I" (see: Girlfriend) mistakenly sent them the wrong disc back. She meant to send back whatever we rented but somehow she put one of my own dvd's (one of my Futurama disc's) in the envelope instead. We didn't realize it for about a week. By that time I figured it was long gone. I called and told them I still had their disc and that they had mine. I really only called to give them a heads up as I had no anticipation of ever getting that disc back. Well fast forward about a month and out of the blue in the mail is my Futurama DVD and a letter thanking me for being a customer. I though that was cool. I'm a sucker for good customer service.

20Fry : April 2006 - March 2012

Well under the 'ole line of "No good deed ever goes unpunished," I have found out what happened to my movies.

As some of you know, I have moved back to Oshkosh, from Milwaukee. About a year ago I moved my family to Milwaukee and we rented out our house. Long story short, we moved back a month ago for a variety of reasons, back into the house we own. We've been here 6 weeks now.

So we know our mailman, he's a really nice guy. He was taking an extended labor day holiday and wasnt going to be back until late this past week, so he tells the sub that "the family that used to live in that house has moved back in..." The sub already knew we had moved back in, so he thought that we had moved out AGAIN and that the family that was in the house the past year was back...so when our movies arrived from Netflix he simply wrote return to sender on the packages and shipped them back, thinking we were no longer at the house.

Sheesh.

So I should be getting my movies on Tuesday now, since they are shipping on Monday.

Good to hear RyDogg

And Blockbuster = Walmart of movie rental http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

While waiting for the Netflix to arrive, I started off with one at the end of my queue last night. I went to Family Video, anyone else have one nearby? Man, this place is great. New rentals are $2.49, and stuff that is "almost new" are $1.00 for 5 nights, and anything else is 2 for $1.00.

So a few weeks ago I went and got THE SHIPPING NEWS and Italian For Beginners for $1.00 total. I only got around to watching The Shipping News, mostly because my wife had just finished the book and is teaching it in her class this semester. It was pretty good. Nothing that knocked my socks off, but the characters were well done. My biggest complaint would be that it ended kind of abruptly. I never got around to watching Italian for Beginners and ended up getting late fees on both. which is why I decided to try Netflix.

So last night I went back to Family Video and got The Constant Gardener and Match Point. We decided on The Constant Gardener based on the reviews in this thread. It was a really good movie. Wonderfully shot by the director, and if I recall, it is done by the same guy who did City of God. Which has been recommended to me by Brett and is now high on my queue, so I am looking forward to that one as well. The acting was fabulous, but with most movies like this one I really couldnt figure out how people were connected, in what way they were, etc., but I knew enough to know who was the "goog guys" and who were the "bad". The ending was a little curious as to why Justin (Fiennes) did the things he did, especially at the end, but I just chalked it up to him wanting to be with his wife.

Alright Rydogg , here's my quick and dirty list for you to look at. Several have already been named by other posters but I figured I'd leave them in for you to look over anyways. A few don't have DVD released yet, but that should change in the next few months. The list is a bit documentary heavy, but I tried to cover as many genres as possible. And yes, their are a few horror films in there, deal. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

The Wind that Shakes the Barley

The Host

Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Heaven

Run Lola Run

New York Doll

The Up Series (7 Up thru 49 Up)

The Lives of Others

Harikiri

American Movie

Cache

The Devil and Daniel Johnston

Following

In the Company of Men

Paradies Lost: The Child Murders of Robin Hood Hills

Paradise Lost 2

The Triplets of Belleville

Black Book

Night Watch

March of the Penguins

Murderball

Grizzly Man

The Corporation

Jesus Camp

The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill

Capturing the Friedmans

A Scanner Darkly

Serenity

The Descent

Hustle and Flow

Junebug

American Splendor

Me and You and Everyone We Know

Shaun of the Dead

Hot Fuzz

Kung Fu Hustle

All About My Mother

Amelie

Delicatessen

The City of Lost Children

Good Night, and Good Luck

High and Low

Yojimbo

Ravenous

Noi

The Proposition

Layer Cake

My Date With Drew

The Woodsman

Where the Truth Lies

Deliver Us From Evil

Audition

The Baxter

Alright Rydogg , here's my quick and dirty list for you to look at.

[snip]

Jesus Camp

Best horror movie on the list. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Alright, I stole that joke. But that is a good list. I've seen a lot of them, some I wouldn't recommend, but you got me interested in renting the others. And I loved Jesus Camp. My only complaint is that it wasn't hours longer. And I don't see Pan's Labyrinth here! *hmph*

Rydogg already mentioned he had Pan's Labyrinth in his queue, otherwise I would have put it on the list. I did hold back in adding a few other Del Toro films though.

And yeah, Jesus Camp is possibly the scariest movie I have ever seen.

I thought Jesus Camp was hilarious. That kid with the mullet and the head honcho from Colorado who later had sex with a male prostitute? That's comic gold!

I thought Jesus Camp was hilarious. That kid with the mullet and the head honcho from Colorado who later had sex with a male prostitute? That's comic gold!

What? Details!!

ETA: Another movie you should add to your queue RyDogg66 is Spirited Away. Even though few view it as a sell-out, it's one of my favorite movies ever, and it most people I talk to aren't familiar with it.

Re: Jesus Camp - that was one that I was considering as well. It looks really interesting, and horrific at the same time. I'm gonna check it out.

I got my first shipment of Netflix yesterday, finally. They were really nice when I called them and told them my original shipments never arrived, and they gave me "bonus" movies. SO while I have the 2 disc at at time plan, I also have a bonus movie at home so that makes three.

Anyway, I stated watching the documentary "I Like Killing Flies" about a hole-in-the-wall family run restaurant in Manhattan. I made it about 1/2 through before my wife got too tired to stay up with me. We were both really enjoying it so I stopped it and we will watch the other half tonight.

A Bill Hicks once said (about Jesse Helms at the time), "anyone that far to the right is hiding a deep dark secret". Haggard is living proof of this.

On topic, that is a great documentary, and surprisingly fair, so are the others on Kat's list (which is a great list, by the way) - if you like "creepy" docs, his recommendation of "Capturing the Friedmans" fits that very well, also. It's excellent.

A Bill Hicks once said (about Jesse Helms at the time), "anyone that far to the right is hiding a deep dark secret". Haggard is living proof of this.

On topic, that is a great documentary, and surprisingly fair, so are the others on Kat's list (which is a great list, by the way) - if you like "creepy" docs, his recommendation of "Capturing the Friedmans" fits that very well, also. It's excellent.

Thank you for posting this! I remember I wanted to see when it came out. Totally forgot about it.

Has anyone seen "The Bridge" (the doc about Golden Gate jumpers)? If so, what should I watch next: Friedmans or "The Bridge"?

Don't know if anyone has recommended Hot Fuzz or not, but this movie seriously had me laughing to the point of tears multiple times. From the same guys that did Shaun of the Dead, and though that movie is probably the better spoof, imho Hot Fuzz was much funnier.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the plotline is incredibly well-developed, with tons of foreshadowing and subtle clues as to what's going on. I don't want to spoil the movie at all, so I stop there. But this is simply a genius comedy.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Has anyone seen "The Bridge" (the doc about Golden Gate jumpers)? If so, what should I watch next: Friedmans or "The Bridge"?

"The Bridge" is really good, too. If you are able to easily get past the fact that you are watching people end their lives, and look at what the movie is about (to me, it's the question of what makes these people do it?), you will like it. It is surprising how tasteful it is.

They are very different films, though, and oddly the one with the people jumping off the bridge is probably easier to stomach.

Archived